Thread: Did I pick the right motor?

Default Did I pick the right motor?

First, I would like to say, I purchased a Hewescraft last August and I am very happy with the boat. The all welded boat is great for the big rivers here in Missouri, Mississippi & Missouri Rivers. People often ask me where did I get the boat, and how do you like it? And I reply, "I love this style of boat, BUT I am not sure I am happy with my choice of motor?"

So, with that said, I wanted to ask your opinions on my selection of motor for my Hewescraft. Currently, I am the only person who owns a boat of this style within a 250 mile radius of St. Louis. Unfortunately, not many folk to compare against, etc...

My Boat:
    220 Sea Runner ET 2009 (Soft Top)
    Yamaha F150 2009

I am happy with Yamaha, but what I am concerned about is my horse power choice? It is really eating at me, as I am thinking I should have got the F200 Yammie. I am in the process of getting a Fishfinder that will have GPS so I can get a reading on performance. But, I can tell you this from a friends Car GPS we had hooked up. I was able to do 5800 rpm's @ 40/41 mph. And that was smooth water.

My concern is weight...I plan to add a tower here shortly (being delivered), as well as anchors, and other items. How much will my performance drop? Do you think it is under powered? I could change to a stainless steel prop for performance, but aluminum is best in the rivers in case you hit something - forgiving!

I even thought about a trade-in for an F200, but I think I'd come up loosing big time on that deal as my motor has only 28 hours on it - model year 2009.

Note: I will admit, I like going faster, but if I remember right, the performance gain from a F200 was minimal versus the extra money I would of had to pay. But now, I think I wish I had paid the extra jack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Everything is a compromise

It all depends on what you are usually hauling. If you have a good hole shot and can cruise at 40 sounds good to me. You go bigger and now you have the extra stern weight. You will burn more fuel. So now you have to carry more fuel. And that adds weight too. What does Hewes give as the maximum hp?

Default Deweys MArine

The Hewes dealer sells this boat with a 115 standrd and the 150 as a optional engine. I see them ripping the swells with just the 115.
    WOT is 6000 on the 150

I think your 150 is a fine choice. As Polardds pointed out your weight will change and your fuel burn will change in a way you won't appreciate. You did mention a tower. Is that a radar, antennae and light tower? I would change my prop a couple of times first.

I have a 22 HewesCraft Sea Runner. I have twin 115's on mine. The boat is rated for 230 hp, so that's what I put on it. Keep in mind I'm going off shore here in Alaska, So I feel better knowing I have twins and if I lose one motor, the other motor will keep me on plane and doing 25 mph or better.

I don't think you are going to loose speed with the new additions.

Here is the link to the Yamaha bulliten that test a 220 Sea Runner ET HT and its the same #'s you are getting with the soft top.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/p...ht-f150txr.pdf

The hard top adds 365lbs which is more than your accessories are going to add and has more wind resistance. I don't think your boat will notice the added accessories.

The Yamaha charts don't compare the 150 and the 225 on a Sea Runner but they do on the Ocean Pro

The bigger motor at WOT gained 1.5mph, 5/100 sec on the hole shot and 3.8 gph

For speed I think you need a smaller boat and bigger motor

It seems according to the results that Hewescraft posted on the tests that I am not doing so bad. I failed to mention that I am using a standard aluminum prop w/ 17 pitch (17M). If I bought a stainless steel prop I am sure I could improve my performance a bit more.

As someone mentioned, the max hp is 225. For the additional $$, I am not convinced it would provide that significant of a performance boost. Most likely a boost against added weight. I think the trade offs are relative.

I was thinking of purchasing another aluminum prop as a back up for the rivers. I was thinking about stepping up to a 20 pitch to see what that will do?

I currently have a 17 pitch, aluminum and am getting 5800 rpm @ 40/41 mph.

Smokin, This is a great web site for Hewescraft questions.
    http://www.bucketmarine.com/HCO/

Smokin,
    I've been told that you want to be able to get your outboard within 200 rpms of its max revs (with Honda anyway). Don't know what the max is for your 150, but if you are only hitting 5800 now I would think that a 20 pitch prop would lug your motor pretty bad - that'll burn it up faster than running it wide open. I switched from 15x17 alum to 14 1/2x 15 stainless on a Honda 225 and it was worth the money. Less cavitation, quicker planing, larger sweet spot on trim. We were only turning 5600 max with the aluminum, so I dropped 1 pitch and went to stainless. Have to run at 5000 now to do the same speed that I got at 4500 with the aluminum, but the motor sounds way better, and the fuel burn hasn't seemed to change much. I can now hit 6000 at WOT, so top speed stayed the same.

E-tec 225 is all i gotta say! Lighter, instant power, cleaner burning, and more efficient than most 4-strokes on the water. Thats what my next outboard is gonna be!

I think that the F150 Yamaha is perfect for that boat. If you are doing 40mph on the water, thats fast. If you want a few more mph, try a 19 pitch or a cupped prop. Stainless in a river is fine if you have a spare lower unit. I see most 22' Hewes with a 115hp but seeing more and more with the 150. For the money, a little more weight and only a few for mph, forgetaboutit. You got it right the first time.

Thought about a composite 4 blade prop? The piranhas are supposed to be better than an aluminum and *almost* comparable to stainless, but if you hit something it's cheap to fix.

I have a Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 Hardtop with a Yamaha F150 and it is great.

If you look at the Yamaha performance reports the F150 gets the best economy (like 3.5 mpg vs 2.5) and only looses out to the 200 and 225 at top speed. The motors swing the same props and have the same gear ratio. Accelleration is close as well.

So unless you are planning on waterskiing you are fine. I run my boat with a full tank 85 gallons and have had it out many times with 8 adults and a boat load of cabin gear and the boat planes out with ease.

Sobie2