Thread: Halibut leaders

Default Halibut leaders

What do I need for bite tippet or leader for Halibut and Ling Cod. Can you get away with 50# flourocarbon or do you need to use steel? Thanbks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    What do I need for bite tippet or leader for Halibut and Ling Cod. Can you get away with 50# flourocarbon or do you need to use steel? Thanbks for the info
    Others will chime in here because I do not know much, but, I have never seen anyone use steel leader for the halibut or Ling cod.

I think 100lbs of mono or fluorocarbon would do just fine. I know the Halibut and Lings arent too hard to fool so many people just use Gangion twine for the halibut. http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?...F&WT.mc_id=gb1

When I first saw the twine, I thought it was just any old rope you could find...like a shoelace.

The Ling have some crazy sharp teeth but I do not believe it fights so hard that it would fray your line. Also, many people use these huge jig heads and the Ling will not swallow it so its teeth arent really close to the leader.

Default Leader material

I use Gaignon twine tied with a Gaignon Knot. This is when I am using a bait setup. I have also been using Halibut spreader bars with good success.
    The Gaignon knot is illustrated in most tide books.
    When jigging I just tie on a corkscrew swivel and attach the jig to it. When the tide starts ripping and I want to switch to a bait and weight setup I just take the jig off and attach the spreader bar swivel to the corkscrew.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Others will chime in here because I do not know much, but, I have never seen anyone use steel leader for the halibut or Ling cod.

I think 100lbs of mono or fluorocarbon would do just fine. I know the Halibut and Lings arent too hard to fool so many people just use Gangion twine for the halibut. http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?...F&WT.mc_id=gb1

When I first saw the twine, I thought it was just any old rope you could find...like a shoelace.

The Ling have some crazy sharp teeth but I do not believe it fights so hard that it would fray your line. Also, many people use these huge jig heads and the Ling will not swallow it so its teeth arent really close to the leader.
    I personally make my own and like 300-500 mono leader line only because of the stiffness. Less apt for the hook rap its self around the line or weight.

400# mono @ 32"s...gives you something to hand-line when they are boatside.

Default I also make my own

with the crimped swivels and snaps, glow tubing and circle hooks.

If you are in Anchorage let me know and I'll show ya how I do it.

He's going to fly fish for halibut. I think the mono would work fine, but I'd like to hear from a halibut flyfisherman/ someone who's done it.

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    He's going to fly fish for halibut. I think the mono would work fine, but I'd like to hear from a halibut flyfisherman/ someone who's done it.

Depends on what river they're running in .

Sorry no help but he pulls it off there HAS to be pictures posted. Good luck.

Default Pictures

I will post pictures if I can. Captain K says he can find them. We'll see if we can catch them. I just don't want them to rub through a leader or shock tippet. Same for Ling Cod. How heavy flourocarbon or Mason hard mono do I need?

For fly fishing I would actually recommend wire...single strand if you can find it. The wire will help to sink your presentation and won`t be as subject to current rip.

Quote Originally Posted by MTguy View Post
    I've easily jigged up Lings to 55 lbs and Halibut nearing 100 lbs while using 40 and 50 lb fluorocarbon.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I use Gaignon twine tied with a Gaignon Knot. This is when I am using a bait setup. I have also been using Halibut spreader bars with good success.
    The Gaignon knot is illustrated in most tide books.
    When jigging I just tie on a corkscrew swivel and attach the jig to it. When the tide starts ripping and I want to switch to a bait and weight setup I just take the jig off and attach the spreader bar swivel to the corkscrew.

That's what I use mostly. I have a supply of commercial hooks and leaders that I use when I'm fishing with a rod & reel. But most times I fish with a simple handline made from #14 tarred seine line, a gangion twine leader and a 24oz weight. I just stick a chunk of octopus on the hook and toss it over dribbling it off the bottom a few times about every five minutes or so.

Of course I don't need to fish any deeper than 25 fathoms to find halibut out here and most times it's a lot less.
    Now what ?

#250 Gaignon line for halibut. I run about 18' leader.

Lings I got with a 3 feet #300 mono..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have used parachute cord as well as 100-150lb mono and they all work well.

Apparently some people are too busy getting ready for fishing this summer to understand what OP's original intent is. He's wanting to catch a halibut on a flyrod - hence the original question as to tippet or leader size .

60# maxima
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

FWIW, we've caught our fair share of monster lings and 100lb+ halibut on mooching rigs with 30# mainline and 30# leader. Maxima.

As long as you're not winching the fish up like you would with a meat stick, you can go fairly light..

Default Halibut Leader

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Apparently some people are too busy getting ready for fishing this summer to understand what OP's original intent is. He's wanting to catch a halibut on a flyrod - hence the original question as to tippet or leader size .
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I think what got me was that this is posted on the FISHING FORUM not the FLY FISHING FORUM.
    Might get some better answers over there.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I think what got me was that this is posted on the FISHING FORUM not the FLY FISHING FORUM.
    Might get some better answers over there.
    Agreed. The original question could have been phrased better (to indicate he was talking about a fly fishing leader) or made in the fly fishing forum.

At any rate, I don't think steel would be necessary. I think something in the 50lb range of tough mono (maxima) or fluoro would do fine.

Just make sure you have a class leader between your shock/bite tippet and fly line with a lower breaking strength than your running line and backing.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post

Close enough? West side of Kodiak, NE Arm Uganik Bay, to be precise. I use doubled 25# Maxima for leaders usually. I just ran through a bunch of stuff on a thread in the flyswatter forum about halibut and lingcod on flies.

A quick thumbnail would be the need for matching sink rates in the fly and the line. One sinking faster than the other causes a bend in the line which causes fish to be missed... There are an awful lot of big halibut in very shallow water...

Scott Thornley, an earlier poster on this thread has fished with me before, as have a number of folks here... And we do extremely well on lingcod on flies. Mostly we have plenty of people fishing gear and we send flies down when they are bringing fish up. The puking halibut attract lots of company looking for leftovers.

It is not uncommon to have multiple lingcod, salmon, and halibut swirling about the transom.

The rig in the photo is a 9', 12wt, two-handed Penn Int'l rod with a Hardy Husky reel. I use shooting heads of the fastest sink rate I can find and braided dacron for backing. Leader butt is 50# Maxima followed by a single stretch of 25# and I tie a big loop with a spider loop knot or Bimini if I have nothing better to do. Sometimes a strand of the leader will break, but rarely.

Huge bunny flies are the toughest and work very well. These fish are not designed to pass on snacks or meals, and seldom do.
    art