Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chum for But

Question Chum for But

Who all here uses chum for halibut? Either dumping chopped herring over the side or a chum bag on the anchor rode. Just curious. I've never done it and wonder if there are significant benefits. Thanks.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I like to put a chum bag on my anchor line, I honestly think it works, I catch more fish with it than I do without it. I often halibut fish in upper cook inlet where the water isn't very clear and I notice the advantage there more than in the southern inlet.

I`ve had mixed success but can say I too believe it works...especially to bring the cod around which makes for good bait.

Default Depends on your chum!

I've found certin things to work better,
    If at anchor I will always run chum. If drifting I have designed a chum tube I attach to my line.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I never throw a whole herring over the side. If it soaks for 20 mins, we change it and I chop it into little bits, and use that as chum. I have saved all of those liitle bits, put them in a 1 gal ziplock, hook it on a rod through the thicker palstic on top of the bag(above the zip part), poke a bunch of little holes in the bag, so when you take it ot the bow and drop it down, you jig it really hard to tear the bottomout out the bag, all of the chum goes down, and you reel the empty bag in.
    I have heard reports about a chum bag on the anchor could cause it to drag/ not stick. I'm not willing to try. I have had big bags down on a down rigger, and the down rigger almost got ripped off the boat. The fish was going after the wrong thing. I have heard good reports about chumming from the anchor.. give it a shot. I like spreading the little bits out. Everybody has their preferences

We use a gunny sack or an old tee shirt and soak it in herring oil and fish carcasses. If it gets ripped off it's biodegradeable and we catch quite a few more fish using it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default 5 gallon

I use a five gallon bucket clipped onto the anchor line above the rode. The bucket is drilled with hundreds of holes. In theory the bucket is actuall suspended above the bottom or very close and I try utilize minimal scope for this chumming practice. Of course my anchor purcase is compromised but it keeps my chum bucket active and in close proximity to the boat and my hooks. It works and I use what ever extra fish parts I've got, herring or salmon. Its true that smaller species of fish show up but I believe thats what contributes to the attaction for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    I have heard reports about a chum bag on the anchor could cause it to drag/ not stick. I'm not willing to try. I have had big bags down on a down rigger, and the down rigger almost got ripped off the boat. The fish was going after the wrong thing. I have heard good reports about chumming from the anchor.. give it a shot. I like spreading the little bits out. Everybody has their preferences

I have a fairly long anchor chain (20') and I snap the chum bag into the shackle where the chain and rope join. Never any tendency to drag or pop free. Added benefit is that wave action can keep the bag in motion and shake more chum free.

A rigging detail worth passing along: Put about 3' of line between the bag and snap. When you're hauling anchor, just pause and swing the bag into a 5-gallon bucket before bringing it aboard, then unsnap and continue to retrieve the chain and anchor. It's really handy and no mess at all. Reverse the process next time you set the anchor.

As for effectiveness? Yeah, when the fish are scattered and the fishing is slow, you can pickup the action within a half an hour by adding a chum bag. If it doesn't pick up, it's time to move.

When not anchored, I'll often clip the chum bag to the snap on my downrigger ball and lower that close to the bottom while I drift. Good action then, too.

I use to drift mostly and still do out of Homer. In Seward last year, I mostly anchored. Used an old minnow trap I've had for years and clip it to my anchor chain at the shackle were the line attaches. Used mostly fish parts/guts/heads and sponge soaked with herring oil. Did pretty good, never had worry about having it torn apart and was easy to empty overboard instead of comming back into the boat. Overall I honestly think I helped allot.

i like to use catfood in a nylon stocking. Works great, something always chews the heck out of it.

I use a orange bait bag that the commercial guys use in the big crab pots for my chum bag.

In my experience, salmon guts works the best for chum and bait. This could be because I have a large troll fleet in my area that tosses over the guts/gills from thousands of salmon a day, and the hali are used to eating them.

Default Try nomar bait bags

Try these bait bags, I put them down on a downrigger with cut up chums or pinks in them(where its legal). These are very tough mesh bags that halibut teeth won't tear.
    http://nomaralaska.com/fisheries.htm

I don't know if anyone has tried it yet but i've been telling guys to take some of that red spawn sack material and put some shrimp pellets in bag made of it and tie it on just above your hook or by your sinker chum line/sent trail leads right to your baited hook and another plus is that bag material will get stuck on a but's teeth so they can't spit out the bait so easily. Now somebody go try this and report back to me Please!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default chum bag

Has any one ever used a baited hook and chum bag off of the anchor? Never tried it, but it sounds like a good idea..

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Has any one ever used a baited hook and chum bag off of the anchor? Never tried it, but it sounds like a good idea..
    I know somebody that tried this on their string of pots. They pulled up a huge sleeper shark.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

+1 on the chum bag off the anchor line. I buy cheap mesh laundry bags, and just tie them off the anchor line. I usually keep all my left over bait, and then dumpster dive for salmon carcasses once they're available, and freeze them till the next trip (triple wrapped to prevent toxic spills/smells). Once I get out, I put the frozen mess in the chum bag, and drop it tied to the anchor chain. As it thaws, it releases more scent into the water, which I think (in MY little mind) makes the chum bag effective longer. My catch rates with the chum bag are twice what I usually get without it - unscientific, I know - but this is fishin' we're talking about, where ALL of the fish get larger once they're in the freezer!

Thumbs up Chum bag

Try grinding up fish guts herring from last trip etc.
    I bought a food processor from the thrift store for about $5 that does a good job.
    We use old pantyhose. old pantyhose can be bought from the thrift store also for about 10 cents a pair. Fill the legs as full as you want and then tie them off. you can make several bags from one pair.
    be careful with the baited hook on the anchor line so you don't exceed you limit of lines on board. Plus if you get your limit you can't keep the one on the anchor line.
    If you leave one spot open you might have an empty anchor hook something you don't want to keep anyway small butt, cod,Irish lord, etc...
    Personally I would not set a baited hook on the anchor for the above reasons.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default chum bag

We use a net bag about 12x6 I bought 100 of them on line at a greenhouse web site. they are used to store vegtables and are cheap like 10 cents a bag.The holes are about 1/8 inch. I cant remember the website ? anyway we grind up unused bait and each bag holds about a quart. I keep them in my bait freezer and we take 3 or 4 with us then and we drop them down on a spare rod with a sinker tied on. Every once in a while we jig the bait to disperse cent and small bits of bait. Just about every trip we get a fish that tries to bite the bag but none have ever ripped.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I don't know if anyone has tried it yet but i've been telling guys to take some of that red spawn sack material and put some shrimp pellets in bag made of it and tie it on just above your hook or by your sinker chum line/sent trail leads right to your baited hook and another plus is that bag material will get stuck on a but's teeth so they can't spit out the bait so easily. Now somebody go try this and report back to me Please!!

I always mix some of your shrimp crack in the chum bag to make sure something is moving down-range.

Here's an off-the-wall idea that you guys might be interested in. Have you ever heard of a biodegradable chum bomb?

This is what you'll need to make one:

1. A few rocks that are slightly smaller than your fist.
    2. Mashed up chum in a pourable container
    3. One small container (I use disposable tupperware, 3" deep, 4" wide, 6" long).
    4. Brown paper bags
    5. Brown twine from hardware store

Here's how you build it:

1. Put two of the rocks into empty container
    2. Pour chum slurry over the rocks and fill container just shy of the top
    3. Put in freezer, freeze until solid.
    4. Take frozen block out of container, place in paper bag.
    5. Tie off paper bag with brown twine
    6. Place back in freezer until ready to use

Here's how you use it:

1. Find a good fishing hole and anchor up.
    2. Once your anchor sets and boat stops moving, drop a chum bomb over board.
    3. Wait for the fish to come!

This method will put your chum field directly under the boat and is totally biodegradable. This is easy and works great. Give it a try, and if you like it, throw me a rep point!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast