Thread: Gulkana Float, sourdough-bridge

Default Gulkana Float, sourdough-bridge

What does this run consist of? Length of float? Difficulty? Are there a lot of branches in the river, things of that sort. Is it a few hours of a float or an over nighter? I'm looking at doing in for kings this year. I've heard different from different people. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thumbs up Sourdough to the Bridge

Your in my country!

The trip from Sourdough Campground to the bridge across the Richardson is a solid 10-12 hours and can be done in 1 full day if you want to hammer it. I will be doing this same trip just after ice out as a family float and we are planning 2 full days with a overnight camp out along the way. If your doing this during king season it may be a better 3 day-2 night trip but 2days and 1 night will do as well. The river is a straight shot with very few hazards along the way and the river has very few branched that will mix you up.

Keep in mind that ALL the land is native and thus no trespassing along the way but you can camp below the high water mark and there are many islands to choose from.

Keep track of the king flow but a good plan is to do this trip anytime after June 20th through the 10 of July. The flow of fish shouls be strong as long as we have a return but stay away from July 4th as there will be more use that weekend fro sure.

If you need any gear or other advice please shoot me a PM. I live right at the bridge and can help you out!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 Richardson, right on the river!
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps
    907-822-4290

Default ICE

Walt,

I plan on doing this in spring/early summer. This will be the first overnight float for my wife and 9y/o daughter. As i have only llived in Ak for 1.5 years, I am not sure of timming. I might fish kings latter but just want a nice float and camp to get my family into the whole overnight on the river idea. In past years, when is it safe to think the river will be ice free?

Thanks in advance.

Default I'm not Walt but hey

As in Spring you mean after 10 June? Depending on Ice Out and Ice Remaining your normally safe to float from Sourdough Down starting 6 - 8 June. There are early Kings available but you have to fish for them. Also depending again on ice out / ice remaining certain normal camping sports can be a little muddy and wet.

Normally you have a safe bet if you push your first overnight trip to Mid - Late June.

Bring lots of bug dope and headnets.

Thanks for all th info and input.

Sourdough Lodge was offering a river shuttle last year from Sourdough to Paxson (907)822-3636. I'm sure they will go the other way to the bridge also saving you the need for 2 cars. I'm not sure if they are open all year.

Default Not open year round

Tod normally is available about mid May and provides great service and actaully at a reasonable price. Walt is also assisting floaters this year and I am under the assumption after chatting with him and knowing what he was accomplishing out in the Westren part of the state will offer a great service for a reasonable value.

It is nice to have the option.

All great info! I would not float it any earlier than June 20th unless I have experienced. My family will be doing the SD to the bridge float week 1 in June but I expect it will be muddy and the bugs should not be too bad yet?? I will keep you posted.

Moose: Thanks for the plug! I have not made a decision about the shuttle end of the buz yet and I will be talking to the BLM about the permit process first to stay on the right side of the regs!

Thanks Guys!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps
    Mile 127.5 of the Richardson HWY
    907-822-4290