Thread: Ruger Issues

Default Ruger Issues

Hi All. I have a Ruger super red in 480. Love the gun, it shoots real well and has some good power for what I use it for (bear back up). I am having trigger issues of some sorts. I took the complete gun apart, cleaned it very well and reoiled, still issues. When I pull the trigger, it doesnt reset itself. You basically have to have your finger completely off the trigger and push it forawrd or it will jamb and not allow a second shot? Just started doing this and never did it before. I know that a double action if the trigger is held a little after firing, it wont cycle again as it needs to go back to reset, but even if you pull the trigger and let it completely go, it still does it. I have several other double actions and none of them do this, just this gun. Of course its my back up gun and I wanty to be able to cycle additional rounds if needed. If you dry fire or fire live it does the same thing. Any suggestions? Trigger job? New springs?

I just cant have a back up gun that only works for one shot and then you have to push the trigger forward to reset it, when the gun is needed, every split second counts:O)
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Call Ruger at:

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Customer Service Department

411 Sunapee Street
    Newport, NH 03773
    Telephone: 603-865-2442 / Fax: 603-863-6165
    (Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)

They will repair guns at no charge as long as it has a defect. If you broke something due to hand loads and over pressure they may charge for the repairs.

Does it have a spring kit in it? Check the Ruger forum also.

http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/

+1 to both replies.
    Ruger will treat you right, & there is a ton of knowledge on the Ruger forum.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thank You very much. I will read through the forum and check there also. In worst case situation, I will send it in to Ruger. I start getting mail and planes again here at the lodge in mid May, so if needed, I will just ship it out to them. Thanks again.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

I have over 4000 rounds through my srh 480, with never any problems with the trigger.

Does it do this with an empty cylinder, or only a full cylinder? Are you firing factory ammo or handloads? It's possible with handloads the cases are sufficiently sized to fit in the cylinder and this is hanging up the cylinder. Even so, I've had instances where the cylinder was difficult to turn due to cases not fully seating, but it would still re-set the trigger after each shot.

Definately send it to Ruger as something isn't right.