Thread: downrigger ??????????

Default downrigger ??????????

Ok, so i bought this boat and it has a couple of manual downriggers on it. I have never used downriggers before, i am looking for help / advise. I will be mostly fishing out of seward and valdez, maybe whittier ($$$$). I am thinking that i will want to be trolling at around 2 to 3 mph, is this correct? What size of weight do i want to be using, do i need a spare boat to haul all the extra weights to use downriggers? I know that depth and tide current have alot to factor in on this as well as the depth the fish are at. I guess i am looking for maybe one or two weights that will work? Any and All advise is greatly appreciated and used. Thanks again for all the help.

Did any weights come with the riggers? If not, you should be looking for a 10# to 15# cannonball (or pancake weight) for each rigger. I would take a close look at any wire that may have been left on the spools - if it is ratty-looking I suggest you strip it off and replace it. You have the choice of either using the usual stainless wire or braided Spectra. I tried both and came back to 135# stainless wire.

Depending on what you are trying to catch - you can troll anywhere between 1.5 and 3.0 mph and can fish. Kings like a slower speed (I move along at about 2.0 to 2.5 mph), silvers like things moving a little faster. After you get used to handling the riggers, you will note that the angle of the wire hanging back will tell you more about your speed than a GPS. I like to keep mine at about a 35 to 40 degree angle on most days.

There are a lot of things to be aware of when you start out fishing riggers with no experience way more than I care to get into here, but try the following link and you will see a lot of very good info on the most reliable ways to configure your gear off the rigger wires. http://www.protroll.com/books/?id=4

Once you get the hang of it you will have a blast! Good luck!

Default optional downrigger weight

Instead of just using the standard downrigger weights and trollling methods consider the g2jigger. This 10lb weight adds jigging action while you troll. Check it out at www.cut2spec.com

Quote Originally Posted by g2jigger View Post
    Instead of just using the standard downrigger weights and trollling methods consider the g2jigger. This 10lb weight adds jigging action while you troll. Check it out at www.cut2spec.com
    That`s alot of crapola to hang on the bottom!

I would highly advise a book about it. Getting on a charterboat and having the guide teach you hands on is a great way to go! It can get so technical, different ideas/ theories, gear, speeds, ways of doing things, it can all get so confusing. I don't know of a good book, but I know they are out there. Try specifically looking for Great Lakes books. They are very technical, and will really give you the full gammut of downrigger ideas like: Stackers, sliders, how to run alot of rods off one boat. I learned on Lake Superior, and still haven't gotten into all the tricks.... thankfully I haven't needed them! Oh there are probably some good movies too! Good Luck

If you're looking to learn the art of controlled depth trolling the spoonpullers site has a lot of good information.

http://www.spoonpullers.com/