Thread: 351 Motor Replacement?

Default 351 Motor Replacement?

Any feedback on some of the smaller shops out there in ANC?? Action Marine/Alaska 4wd on Old Seward (1 year warranty)?? Moble Marine (2 year warranty) posting on Alaska List?? Sad to say I have an OMC 351 ford motor that needs to be replaced before this season. Not getting good vibes regarding the OMC product as there is limited support for them any longer. Trying to avoid complete replacement of engine and outdrive with a different product.
    Thanks in advance for suggestions / advice!!
    MD

Default 351 and OMC

My boat has a 351W engine and an OMC 800 stern drive. The 800 sterndrive lasted longer than the motor. I had the motor rebuilt and it is great. Not long after the motor was fresh the 800 sterndrive upper bearings and lift motor failed. I ended up purchasing a newly rebuilt model from Seattle and everything has worked fine. The first engine and drive lasted almost 20 yrs. I'm hoping these last that long cause the OMC drive is getting much harder to find. Check E-bay. I found mine complete unit for around $2000. I really debated putting on an Armstrong type bracket and putting a 200hp outboard on it. I'm still debating to this day if I did the right thing replacing all the original stuff and hoping it lasts as long as the original or doing the complete repower to an outboard. It's a tough call. See what is available in OMC's as compared to outboard brackets and motors. Might be compelling to lean that way.

Default OMC parts

Here's a site that may help with your OMC parts. The 351 is very rebuildable. The OMC is the challenge.
    http://www.sterndrive.info/800_serie...gearcases.html

Tealer - thanks for the info...