View Poll Results: Is your gun loaded when you hunt, even if no shot opporuntiy is present?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its loaded as soon as i hit the woods

80 56.34%
  • No, i never load till its time or about time to shoot

43 30.28%
  • Sometimes i get the willies and load up

19 13.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaded or Unloaded?

Default Loaded or Unloaded?

This thread is so hot, i thought it would be neat to get some yes and no answers rather than all the opinions, just to give all of us a better idea of where everyone (including you lurkers!!) stands on hunting with a loaded gun.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default question...

Brwnbr, by loaded do you mean one in the chamber as well some in the mag??

sorry loaded....one in the chamber.
    Master guide 212

"Sometimes, depends on the situation" would be a good choice to add.

Default yep...

I thought the same, WaterGrem. I didn't see my poll "choice".

If I'm bustin' ten foot brush on Kodiak with a buck on my back, I'm poppin one in the tube. Same with entering a bear bait station thats getting hit hard.
    Otherwise, never.

Frank

Since I'm used to carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, I never saw a safety concern with one in the chamber. The gun won't fire unless I want it to. Rifle's are no different. If you don't pull the trigger, it won't go boom (unless your gun is broke).

the reason i put the questions the way they are is so we woudlnt have to have all the discussion like we are in the ohter thread. just wanted an idea on how folks were. if your answers not up there, don't vote. i realize there are alot of situations when hunting that are all different. bottom line if your not ready to shoot, do you load your gun, regardless of what your carrying, how thick the brush is, if its a pistol whatever, do you load your gun before your ready to shoot. thats the questions.
    and FYI i've seen guns go off without pulling the trigger....
    Master guide 212

Default loaded

They make a poor club.

I carry hot everyday on and off duty and instruct guys doing live-fire drills with hot weapons on a hot range. I don't think anything of it. I don't see where hunting is or should be any different. Maintain the 4 Rules discipline and there won't be any problems.
    However, I do unload when climbing in and out of boats or having to traverse hazardous terrain.
    Actually...........come to think of it.......... hunting may be a lot safer.
    Now what ?

Yes its loaded,but never one in the chamber until its time to shoot

Default Unloaded

I don't see the need to have a round chambered unless your pointing it down range at a target.

Tim

My magazine is topped off as soon as I hit the woods. However, I don't chamber one until I need to fire it.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

I saw the other post but being the chronic lurker I am, I hadn't replied. I'm another Michigander by birth and we just carried the rifle loaded. Nobody ever debated it except when you cross a fence or a stream or some other obstacle you unloaded the firearm, in the case of a fence you put the rifle over first and than climbed over or went under. That was the theory at least, saw plenty of people violate that rule.
    Having started bowhunting, and having the experience of not carrying it loaded most of the time got me in the habit of no longer carrying a loaded rifle until it is time to actually shoot. I hunt mostly in the Western lower 48 though; I probably would fall into that 3rd poll slot if I had to think about browns. When it comes to hunting companions, honestly I don't care how they carry it as long as they handle the firearm in a safe manner. If they are going to be careless it will not matter when they load it, they are a hazard.

Talking Loaded

If it doesn't have one in the pipe it's just a club. Especially if surprised and needed.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Lower 48 hunting as a youngster and young adult was mostly on foot, or in a tree stand. Once in the field, weapons were HOT, and ready to fire. We hunted as if the quarry could pop up at any moment. Or in a tree stand, waiting, with little movement.
    Alaskan hunting has mostly been on, or in vehicles, so rarely is a round chambered( in my case) until the potential quarry is seen. The safety factor in handling guns far outweighs the time difference between racking and firing, and just firing. If the vehicles are left, and hunting proceeds on foot, then often, a round is chambered, as quarry is expected.
    Hunters are rarely carrying for the purpose of self protection (bear issues not included), so a live round in the chamber is viewed differently than someone carrying for CCW purposes.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Replace woods with marsh or feild.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I don't have one in the chamber when my rifles are in their cases. The sliding action of a loose fit MAY cause the safety to move, and another maraculous movement MAY cause the trigger to be pulled. Highly unlikely, but I don't chamber one when in a case.

I have all of my guns literally just laying about the house, and all but 2 of them are loaded and chambered. (my 22lr Marlin 75-20, and my Remington 700 LSS 300RUM) All my handguns are loaded, including my revolvers, and my 22 Mag Marlin is loaded but not chambered incase I see a critter that needs to be bit.

Let me rephrase a previous statement: Any gun that is of sound design, in proper mechanical condition and is used in the manner in which it was intended, will not fire unless the proper steps are taken to create a condition in which the gun will shoot.

One may argue that a loaded SA revolver is dangerous. Then don't carry one under the hammer. Impossible for that gun to fire unless you want it to, or if you insanely careless. You can't make my remington fire unless you flip the safety AND pull the trigger. You cannot make my 1911 fire unless you flip the safety, have a proper grip on the gun AND pull the trigger. You cannot make my Bersa 380 fire unless you flip the safety AND pull the entire DA throw of the trigger. You cannot make my Marlin 22 Mag fire unless you flip the safety AND pull the trigger. You cannot make my Marlin 75-20 fire unless you flip the safety AND pull the trigger.

With the exception of some old gun designs, improper handling of the gun you are carrying (you don't carry a SA revolver with the hammer back), use of ammunition which should not be used and/or improper care of the firearm, I see no way (short of severe abnormal conditions such as falling in a fire) to fire a gun without doing so on purpose. More misfires happen when jacking around with the loading/unloading process than anything.

I posted this on the other thread but figured I would post it here to. I carry one in the chamber when I am on foot but also take extra procaution to eliminate the whole addidental arming of the safety.

For anyone that doesn't realize this when you lift the lever on your bolt to slide it back and then drop it, it sets the firing pin back ready for release. You can see it this by the back of the bolt. Pull the trigger bang. However if you lift the lever on the bolt and then hold the trigger while you drop the bolt again it will slowly release the firing pin such that it is not in a firing postition and the lever must be raised and dropped again to put the pin back. If you haven't ever done it unload your gun and try it. Watch the back of the bolt to see the result.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

seen guys do that twice and put big holes in the floors of a couple nice lodges. a good jarring and the gun will go off cause the firing pin rests on the primer...alot more iffy to go off...but still possible, i used to carry like that till i saw those guys put holes in the floors...
    Master guide 212

Good to know.......
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast