Thread: Hard Mounts for GPS/Rifle

Default Hard Mounts for GPS/Rifle

So I have had a Garmin Rino 530 for a few years and really like it... I just got an 03 Skandic, and have been looking at the possibility of a hard mount on my dash. I'm pretty sure my only option is a RAM mount, and I'm wondering if any other Alaskans have used these mounts on their sleds. I definitely don't care for the handlebar mount, as it looks like it would be the first thing to snap in the brush.

I also got a Polaris rifle mount included in the purchase of my sled, but again I'm not crazy about the hard mount. So far the soft scabbard has worked out great bungeed to the tunnel. Is it worth te money to pick up a Kolpin boot?

Thanks for the input!

Colby Jack

I put my 120 on a Ram mount on the dash of my 440 Skandic. I love it. I still need to figure out how to get some heat routed up to the back of it to make the batteries last longer..but other than that it's awesome.

Default GPS & Gun Boot

I have a Garmin 60 mounted to the dash with a RAM mount and like it a lot. It vibrates a bit and isn't very easy to read while underway, but that doesn't bother me at all. If your snowmachine has a batter I would highly recommend hard-wiring the GPS to your machine. I have run with my GPS like that down to -30 and had no problems with the cold. I also have a Kolpin gun boot and like it, I don't know if you would like it any better than the setup you have though.

You can add a thumb warmer to the back of the gps to keep it warm.

I have my Rhino 530 mounted to my sled with the RAM mount. I have it mounted behind the windshield. Have never had an issue with temperature. I keep it in the truck, turn it on with backlight on low, put it in the mount, leave it on all day. I have ridden down to -40*F without an issue. This year my cold day was -32* when we started and we rode more then 10 hours and at the end of the day still had more then 50% power running the lithum ion battery.

Default What about Vibration?

Thanks for the input. I have been worried more about vibration than temperature. I'm liking the idea of a thumb warmer on the mount. On the Skandic, the ride is not as cush as the newer a-arm machines. I have been curious if the pancake ride of the pogo suspension would jar the mount too much. Most people have expressed enough good feedback on the RAM mount to warrant a trial run.

I also went ahead and picked up the Kolpin boot to go along with the mount that was included with the sled.

Thanks again.

Colby Jack

The mount has a couple of rubber spacers that seem to hold down the vibration....but then again I do not look at my GPS much when in motion, at idle not an issue. We have done a few hard landings over the years with out issue.

Default Great

I wasn't concerned about the vibration for reading while in transit. I was more worried about the jolts and jounces loosening the mount itself. I'll order a RAM tonight and post a review of that and the Kolpin.

Thanks Spinner.

Colby Jack

I use a RAM mount for my GPS on both my ATV and my snowmobile. Vibration has not been an issue on either machine, RAM makes a very good mount. Properly installed, you should have no problems either viewing when driving or with the mount or GPS coming loose.

Here's one of where I mounted the RAM on my sled. The one on my ATV is right on the handlebars. On both, I can easily read the GPS screen while in my normal riding stance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

i have run the iron dog many times with a ram mount and they are great. if you use a color screen they do not need to be heated but if you use a a non color screen they may need a thumbed warmer but if you do that it needs a switch so it does not get to hot. because it can.... wiring it in is the only way to go. buy a 12 volt kit and cut the 12 volt cord for your gps, connect them and hard wire it in or just plug in to the 12 volt plug

i have used a 276c down to 55 below and left it out over night and it worked great with the sled.

when wired in the the gps will turn on when you start your sled and turn off 30 sec. after you turn your sled off. which is great.

I use a RAM mount on my R6 motercycle I have mounted a NUVI and a RINO they both worked awsome in AK to AZ last summer no movment on crap roads and at 144mph they are good to go.

I made my own mount by bending aluminum sheet to form a rectangle and lined it with foam and a thumbwarmer. I have never bothered to hook up the thumbwarmer, and there was an old internet blog where the guy who showed the pic that I copied stated there needed to be a resister to lower the heat as even on low the warmer would be too hot for the back of the gps. I used a small piece of aluminum as a heatsink to increase the area the heat went into. But again, I have never needed to hook it up. I have a Garmin 76cs powered by the 12v outlet on my '07 AC Bearcat.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...