Thread: Building a dipnet

Default Building a dipnet

I am looking at building a Kenai net with a 5 ft hoop. Does anyone know where I can get a piece of 1/2' conduit at least 17 ft long. I already have the tubing bender and just need the tubing.

Try Alaska Steel they carry alu tube and steel tube

They only make 1/2' conduit in 10 foot lenght, if you want a longer lenght you have to weld them togeather.

Forget conduit. Not strong enough and it will rust.

Use 5/8" aluminum round bar for the hoop material. It comes in 12' sticks. Weld two together and bend your frame.

To get it longer than 12' is a special order and ship from down in America. You will be able to go to the store and buy 2 complete nets for the price of a 20' stick of round bar if you go that route.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Forget conduit. Not strong enough and it will rust.

Use 5/8" aluminum round bar for the hoop material. It comes in 12' sticks. Weld two together and bend your frame.

To get it longer than 12' is a special order and ship from down in America. You will be able to go to the store and buy 2 complete nets for the price of a 20' stick of round bar if you go that route.
    Listen to this wise man!
    I don't wanna be catchin dipnet shrapnel on the flats

I have made several dip nets out of conduit, yes they will rust, and a little paint will stop that. I have never had a problem with them bending or braking.

If you consider the cost of aluminum and you need an aluminum welder, conduit is a very good choice. In fact if you wanted to use aluminum it would be cheaper to just buy one all ready made up. If I remember correctly I built two dip nets for under $100 and that included the nets.

You should check the metal suppliers first. For the price of 2 sticks of conduit you can have a 5/8 round bar. The stuff isn't that expensive. I've built complete dipnets commercially and we were selling them at about $80 wholesale to the vendor. And we weren't building them for free. That's a frame of 5/8 round bar and a 10' handle of 1 1/4 pipe with a side handle welded on. The store then added the net and sold them to the fisherdudes. Granted, metal prices have gone up in the last couple years (and we havne't been building net frames during this time as there is no longer a market), but not so much that you can't build a good aluminum frame for less than a quality rod-n-reel getup.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default no conduit longer than 10' in the state

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepshooter View Post
    I am looking at building a Kenai net with a 5 ft hoop. Does anyone know where I can get a piece of 1/2' conduit at least 17 ft long. I already have the tubing bender and just need the tubing.
    I went down this road once. Turns out there is no supplier statewide that buys more than 10' lengths. The exception is if you order a trailer-load, which did happen about 3 years ago; I got a dipnet made from that that load; it broke, and I cannot replace the hoop with like/kind materials, so I plan to make a smaller boat net by rebending the part that didn't break.

2 sticks of 1/2" conduit, welded together, 1 stick of closet rod for a handle, a couple of long 1/4" bolts to hold it together and a commercially made gilnet.

Sure, conduit rusts but not that much in fresh water. I've caught over 100's of fish in the net, forget how long ago I built it and am on my second net. I've brought in 6 fish at a time, so strength seems sufficient. Perhaps it's that I'm floating with the current. I'm scared at the thought of a king in the net.

Yeah a nice round welded aluminum net would be nice, but this one has worked well enough.

Default also consider using copper

i built my net hoop/handle out of copper and used it with gilnet from B&Js in ANC last summer...worked like a charm.