Thread: Marlin Fair Price

Default Marlin Fair Price

I have spent the last week researching a gun that I absolutely fell in love with once I picked it up. It is a Marlin 1895GS that I found used at Cabelas. I serach around the net and this site seems to have the most activity regarding big-bore lever actions. My question is, what is is a fair price for this rifle used? It is in quite good shape. It does not have a ported barrel like I have seen some with. The retailer is asking $500 which seems steep to me. Your input would be greatly appreciated as I am visiting the store tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch!

Tom

Default The price is ok

if it is in excellent condition, but remember, you have to add on the cost of having it shipped to an FFL from Cabela's and the charge an FFL would charge to receive it. That is a rifle that should be relatively simple to find up here for that price or so, and with no shipping costs. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    if it is in excellent condition, but remember, you have to add on the cost of having it shipped to an FFL from Cabela's and the charge an FFL would charge to receive it. That is a rifle that should be relatively simple to find up here for that price or so, and with no shipping costs. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Sorry, I should clarify. I am from the UP of Michigan and am in WA state right now. I planned on purchasing it and checking it on the plane as luggage. Unfortunately, firearms dealers are few and far between where I live and it is uncommon to find a big bore lever action in stock.

That's a fair price if in good shape. I would think 45-70 would be a good gun for a yuper.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Trailcarnage

Wholesale is almost $540.00 last time I looked for a new one.- $500 is not a bad price - offer $450 and see if you can get it for 450 - 475 - I wouldn't walk away from 500 though - maybe they would throw in an airline approved case?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    That's a fair price if in good shape. I would think 45-70 would be a good gun for a yuper.
    I"ve been running a 30-30 for years without fault. I would like to step up to a big bore now. It's not that I need it but I want it.

Try to explain to the wife why

[It's not that I need it but I want it.]

I wish I had a dollar for everything I have said that.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default Its about Balance...

Quote Originally Posted by trailcarnage View Post
    I"ve been running a 30-30 for years without fault. I would like to step up to a big bore now. It's not that I need it but I want it.

Try to explain to the wife why

Ask the Mrs to add up what she spends ad the beauty shop over a year vs what you spend on hair cuts - bet that 4570 is a close trade off!
    If you toss in her shoes you should get some ammo also!
    Oh, and it might not hurt to get some chocolates before you bring the gun home though?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Ask the Mrs to add up what she spends ad the beauty shop over a year vs what you spend on hair cuts - bet that 4570 is a close trade off!
    If you toss in her shoes you should get some ammo also!
    Oh, and it might not hurt to get some chocolates before you bring the gun home though?

Hmmm chocolates? I like your kind of thinking.

Default Go for it!

That is a good deal, most 1895GS models I've seen up here retail for about $679.00 new. I would jump on it if I were you, the models without porting are newer, and better in my humble opinion,
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    That is a good deal, most 1895GS models I've seen up here retail for about $679.00 new. I would jump on it if I were you, the models without porting are newer, and better in my humble opinion,
    -J
    I have read that they are quieter without porting. I can see an advantage there.

Personal preference on the porting. My 1895M Guide Gun in 450 Marlin) has it & I prefer it. I've had one other ported Guide Gun & an unported & I really can't tedect a difference in noise level.
    On the "Marlin Owners" forum it's always a debate.
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
    One gentelmen that has a couple of both ported & unported guns did side by side comparisoms in an open area using the same ammo in each gun & using decible meters set up near the shooter. His findings were that there was no appreciable increase in the noise level.

As for the Guide Guns themselves, if I could have only one gun & it was my 1895M I think I could get buy just fine... (Wouldn't like it but I could get by). I think they are great guns.
    I have XS ghost ring sights along with a 2.75x Burris scout scope on an XS scout mount, & have no hessitation about 200yd ish shots. I think the gun is fully capable well beyond that if you know the target range & trajectory. There are also a lot of Guide Guns out there that will shoot sub 1moa groups.
    By the way, price seems fair. I paid $400 for mine (blue) in as new condition, but felt it was a steal.
    Yes I like Guide Guns!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by trailcarnage View Post
    Sorry, I should clarify. I am from the UP of Michigan and am in WA state right now. I planned on purchasing it and checking it on the plane as luggage. Unfortunately, firearms dealers are few and far between where I live and it is uncommon to find a big bore lever action in stock.
    Be careful on the plane flight. I have not recently flown with a rifle case, but I'm told certain airlines are now automatically charging rifle cases (over a certain length, like 62" total) as excess baggage....and it can run up over $100!!

So, long story short, you may be better off paying for shipping and FFL vs an airline! (Sorry for the lack of facts here; just thought you'd want to do a little research.)

Quote Originally Posted by fremont View Post
    Be careful on the plane flight. I have not recently flown with a rifle case, but I'm told certain airlines are now automatically charging rifle cases (over a certain length, like 62" total) as excess baggage....and it can run up over $100!!

So, long story short, you may be better off paying for shipping and FFL vs an airline! (Sorry for the lack of facts here; just thought you'd want to do a little research.)
    I believe (99% sure) that you can still send your rifle to yourself without using an FFL by US Mail.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by fremont View Post

Last September I flew with a mess of guns and ran afoul of the new bag charges. Had nothing to do with the fact that it was rifles just the number of checked bags.
    I had a suitcase with 2 handguns in it price was $15 for first bag. Next was a duffle with 2 hard cases containing 5 handguns, price $30 for second bag. Then 2 rifle cases with one rifle each, price $100 for third bag and $150 for forth bag. When I called before I went they just said “first bag is $15 and second is $30” so I assumed they were all $30 after the first one, big mistake on my part! The year before I had checked a 190 pound anvil on a pallet for just a $30 over weight charge so maybe they were evening things up.

I was told that it was not what was in the bags, there weight or size but the number because the price goes up with every bag you check. I could have saved $150 just by tapering the 2 rifle cases together as long as it was done they could open and inspect them but I had no tape or time to do it.
    At that time Alaska Airline’s checked bag rate was:
    1st bag $15, 2nd $30, 3rd $100, 4th $150, 5th $200 and so on!
    Bags over 50lbs get a weight surcharge as do oversize bags.

To determine oversize they take the length, height, depth, and add them together and over some total number that was large enough I would never exceed it they call it oversize, it was not just the length.

Yes you can mail it (long guns not handguns) from you and to you, no ammo can go, you must declare it is a rifle, and nothing outside the box can indicate it’s a gun. It’s not bad to fly with checked guns but depending on how many bags you have it may be cheaper to mail it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona