Thread: Gun's firing under water,

Talking Gun's firing under water,

Well I was watching mythbuster's today and they were shooting guns under water.

The gun's were a 9mm(not a glock), a 357 mag revovler, M1 carbine, and a 12 gauge.

What do you think the results were?

They did make sure all the air was out of the barrel's before firing.

I would imagine the rifle and handguns would shoot. I'd be surprised if the shotgun would remain together though...that's a huge amount of water within the bbl (probably better than 8oz in a 28"bbl) and they're just not designed to contain that much pressure.

How effective they would be underwater is probably pretty questionable as well. It also makes me wonder how long the guns would continue to function if subjected to repeated abuse...it has to increase the pressure, which is just a testament to how strong most modern weapons really are.

Wow that episode is old, haha!

Default Myth busters

I saw one once where they shot into the water. Is this that episode or one where they are actually shooting under the water? The one I watched was interesting, the higher velocity rounds fragmented as soon as they hit the water and the lower velocity rounds maintained energy and shape for a few feet into the water. In the one I watched the shotgun did far better than the others.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

No this was a secound round where they were shooting in the water completely summerdeged.

( Zac) I just got cable.

The target was 18 feet away, no bullets even came close, I think the longest was 10', and yes the shotgun blew itself apart under water.

The 9mm fired but did'nt eject like it was supposed to.

Then they moved the target up to 2' and could'nt find the bullet hole's or the round's fired from the 9mm, and the 357 mag til the took the target back to the shop. The slugs were found and the 357 went about 2" further than the 9mm did.

So the moral of the story is, if you are in water fighting off a grizz, don't pull the trigger until he is getting ready to close those teeth on you., and oh yea " don't fire a shotgun under water".

I remember being at the Glock armorers course and the instructor was explaining the "marine" firing pin cups. He said that although they allowed the pistol to fire when under water that it wasn't something you wanted to do. Not because of any harm to the gun but because the sound waves under water would more readily damage your hearing. He noted it was VERY important to protect your ears from the concussion under water.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

So for my upcoming scuba halibut hunting safari I need a 357?

I love watching those guys bungle up gun myths tests because they donít know enough about guns or gun history to see most of the people they consulate donít know much more than they do. Then they go and call things imposable because they donít know what they are doing, it makes good TV though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I remember being at the Glock armorers course and the instructor was explaining the "marine" firing pin cups. He said that although they allowed the pistol to fire when under water that it wasn't something you wanted to do. Not because of any harm to the gun but because the sound waves under water would more readily damage your hearing. He noted it was VERY important to protect your ears from the concussion under water.

I bought those for my glock. Only becaue they were out of the regular ones. They say they run fine. Good idea they say if in wet weather and such. They is posters on different forums I searched before I bought them. No choice though, still back ordered on the regular ones. They say double up on ear protection, some guys actually fired!