Thread: Fishing Line Winder

Default Fishing Line Winder

I'm thinking about buying an electric fishing line winder. Does anyone here have any experience with one? Suggestions?

Nobody uses one??????

I would save your money and just bring what you need wound to a fishing shop. If you buy the line from them they shouldn't charge you. If you are in Homer I have had Ulmers and the Gear shed spool some line for me with out charge. That was a few years back though.

My wife bought me a hand winder from Cabelas and it works well. I was even able to fit my halibut reel on it.

LItoAK, thanks for your input. I realize the shops will wind them for me. I've had it done a hundred times. It's just something I'm interested in doing, not necessarily saving money. Sooooooo, anybody have one?

I have an electric line winder, the kind you see at Sportsman's Warehouse. It is a huge time saver and unspools the reels in about 30 seconds.

You can buy one from Meltons International. I got mine from a tackle rep who was replacing one at a Fred Meyers. It has worked perfectly for ten years. I let about a half dozen charter guys use it each year. Saves hours... But a new one is very expensive.

Thats all I know.

Thanks AKCAPT. I'll check that out. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Anybody else?

Default Line winder

http://satocrimpandwinder.com/linewinder.htm
    Sato make a good line winder that uses and electric drill. You can build one your self. You need a board to mount it to. I thought about using a old halibut pole and cut the part off that the reel mounts to and attach it to the board using two 6" electrical stand off branckets. Next take a third bracket and mount the drill to it. You can buy a rheostat off of ebay for $19 that will allow you to control the speed of the drill. All you need next is the spool holder. Line counter is optional.

Thanks captaindd. That one looks like something that could be made pretty easy. I might have to play around with it a bit, only because it looks simple and a little overpriced (IMHO) for what you get. I'd pay the $370 easy if I thought it was worth that, but looking at the components, I think I could put one together for quite a bit less. What do you think? Thanks again.

AKCAPT, that one from Melton's is the kind. Two grand is a little more than I was thinking, but.... I could end up there. I like quality gadgets.

I have one that was sold at Bass Pro Shops a few years back that has done a good job for me. It also come with the parts to line spinning reels also. You just took the spools off the reels and put them in the machine to line them. It come with a spool that strips the line off the reels, and has a switch that you mash with your foot or hand. It sold a few years back for a little under $200. I don't know if they still carry it now or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    Thanks captaindd. That one looks like something that could be made pretty easy. I might have to play around with it a bit, only because it looks simple and a little overpriced (IMHO) for what you get. I'd pay the $370 easy if I thought it was worth that, but looking at the components, I think I could put one together for quite a bit less. What do you think? Thanks again.

AKCAPT, that one from Melton's is the kind. Two grand is a little more than I was thinking, but.... I could end up there. I like quality gadgets.

No joke it saves a lot of work, but not 2000 dollars worth. I am thankful to have the spawned out line winder I have, knowing what they are worth.

For stripping line, I made a tool that works great. I took an empty fishing line spool and put a 3/8" carriage bolt through it. Tighten a nut against the spool on the other end and chuck the bolt up in your drill. I can empty a reel in a matter of seconds and the line is neatly wound on the spool instead of in a big birds nest on the floor.

Pretty cheap and works great!

As far as putting new line on a reel, I like to do that by hand anyway so I can keep an eye on tension while loading it up.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I'm thinking about buying an electric fishing line winder. Does anyone here have any experience with one? Suggestions?
    Bought one from Kenai KMart when they went out of bussiness for $145!! Great investment as most used linewinders sell for $600+. They are usually sold as fixtures after a bussiness has gone under.