Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Alaska Sportsman Show

Default The Great Alaska Sportsman Show

What are your must see events for The Great Alaska Sportsman Show?

I'm new here, what do I need to know about this circus?

Default Great Alaska Sportsman show

What are the dates for the show? I heard what they were at the Palmer gunshow but can't remember them now.

April 9-11

here's the link: http://greatalaskasportsmanshow.com/

April 8th-11th!

Pretty much like the state fair. Go once, spend the money and you'll never have to go again! Lol......

Default woops!

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    April 8th-11th!

You're right y0gee, sorry about that,

Must see events? I have yet to see anything that was "must see", but they do have interesting seminars that cover the whole range of outdoor activities in Alaska so you will want to review the list in the link. The link says 2009 and it does in fact go to last years 2009 listing. However, each year is about the same so this will give you a preview of what can be expected.
    There are good seminars on floating, sheep hunting, moose calling, fishing, etc. You just have to review the list and see where your interest lies.

The sunday paper on April 4 will have a full insert covering the show.

I like to go on Friday afternoon skipping out on work but taking co-workers with me so that we all get in trouble; or on Sunday mornings while everyone is sleeping in or in church. After about 1pm the place is nose to butt crowded which is not fun for me. If you enjoy spending hours in physical contact with other men wandering around in circles then later in the afternoons will be better.

Of course the coolest things to see are not listed. The young guys that bring their stripper girlfriends can provide some of the best entertainment. Spend the afternoons in the stands and there is no telling what you may see while watching the parade down below.

nothing to miss, by many accounts, though i cannot provide any first person experience. save your money is my advice

Default Disagree

I am biased because I have a booth there but I will tell you it is worth the money to go especially if you're interested in a hunting trip or fishing trip, this will be my 10th year of going as a patron or business owner. I always booked my halibut trips at the show it was good to see my captain buddy. I also mocked my brother in law for getting sucked into a Kodiak Customs jig for halibut but have since eaten crow as it is our best bait. Seminars - folks do a great job putting on seminars and I tell you what I learned a LOT from the Tony Russ seminar I attended. Looking at new boats and wheelers is fun. If you're new to AK it gives you an idea of the offerings out there to get you hunting - flight services, rafting companies, etc. By all accounts (first hand) if you can't have fun at a show like this in April in Alaska when there's not much happening, there's no helping you ;-)

HELPFUL HINT - park at the midtown Wal Mart, the shuttle is convienient and you don't have to pay to park.

Side note, it is a great time to talk to out of state folks about other hunting opps. There will be your insurance companies, knife sharpeners, etc but most folks are there because they feel they have a good thing to offer. I got a deer hunt at the SLC show and am seriously considering a mulie hunt...

Stop by and say hi to us if you get a chance!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    What are your must see events for The Great Alaska Sportsman Show?
    Mystery Ranch... with a fistfull of cash.

The best part is the deals if you're looking for gear. Boondocks has great deals on gun safes and some steals on certain guns. Barney's has a sale on their packs. Other than that, though, it's just a bunch of window shopping unless you're looking for a specific charter or hunt service.

The seminars can be worthwhile, especially ones like Michael Strahan's float hunting seminar and ADF&G's bear baiting class.

I think anyone new to Alaska will find the seiminars informative; I have booked hunting and fishing trips and was very happy with those experiences.
    This year I plan to check out Boondocks safes, Alaska butcher supply, mystery ranch packs, and back to the same charters for more trips.

I recommend Strahan's series of lectures and Batins hunting seminar.

What really sucks...the entrance fee is for only that day and not the whole weekend;

Are there gun dealers there?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Yes to gun sales

Guns are sold there if that is what you are asking.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I went last year.. Some good deal, Not much, But did buy a mystery ranch day pack, which I have used extensively and plan to use again on this years bear season., (The gun case is not worth the hassle) , but the pack has lasted through alot. I also went to a bear skinning seminar that was pretty informative also, as it was right before season And I plan to go again. Id like to see more seminars this year, and meet a few members from here..good day at the show, finished of with a wine and steak at _______

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

We're gonna be blowing out another huge ammo pile down there this year.

We got lots and lots of ammo and it will be going at awesome show special prices.

save me some .338 would ya.. thx

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default as said, make a seminar itenerary

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The best part is the deals if you're looking for gear. Boondocks has great deals on gun safes and some steals on certain guns. Barney's has a sale on their packs. Other than that, though, it's just a bunch of window shopping unless you're looking for a specific charter or hunt service.

The seminars can be worthwhile, especially ones like Michael Strahan's float hunting seminar and ADF&G's bear baiting class.
    the best thing i ever did with that show was retaining a boondockers price list for the show. i used it for reference and compared it to prices throughout the year. wow! they loose money on some of what they sell at the show-

they, like others, have great deals if your looking to buy items now. some deals are not deals at all. but years ago i would save all year and then buy in particular from boondockers at the show. you'll save tons of money if you can pass on buying things all year. and if your gonna buy a particular item or have special dates for a trip -go early. because super discount prices and the most desireable time (say holidays for fishing charters or certain tides) sell out quick most every year.

seminars, seminars, seminars

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    We're gonna be blowing out another huge ammo pile down there this year.

We got lots and lots of ammo and it will be going at awesome show special prices.
    I thought they werent allowing Ammo sales at the sportsman show this year.

Default my booth

Must stop would to go to "My" booth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast