Thread: Flyergirl's beef jerky

Default Flyergirl's beef jerky

since I made a batch this week I thought I might share this recipe I have been using for a while.. everyone that trys it loves it. Easy, good flavor and of course jerky is a good source of protein.

FLYERGIRL’S BEEF JERKY
    1# FLANK STEAK
    1 TSP SEASONING SALT
    ½ TSP GARLIC PWD
    ½ TSP ONION PWD
    ¼ TSP PEPPER
    1/3 CUP LA CHOY SOY SAUCE
    1/3 CUP WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE
    2 TABLESPOONS LIQUID SMOKE

1. PAT THE FLANK SEAK DRY AND SLICE INTO THIN STRIPS ACROSS THE GRAIN
    2. MIX ALL INGREDIENTS AND MEAT SLICES IN A 1 GALLON PLASTIC BAG
    MAKING SURE EACH PIECE IS GETTING MARINATED
    3. REFREIDGERATE OVERNIGHT
    4. DRAIN MEAT ON PAPER TOWELS, BLOTTING WELL
    5. PLACE MEAT DIRECTLY ON OVEN RACK AND COOK 140 DEGREES FOR 3 HOURS or more ( or until done) sometimes I crank the heat up to 160 for a hour then back down to the 140) I have an Electrolux oven that has a dehydrator that does an aamzaing job)
    6. IT HELPS TO PUT FOIL ON OVEN FLOOR TO CATCH THE DRIPS
    7. KEEP IN ZIPLOCK AND REFRIDGERATE OVERNIGHT
    NOTE THE SMELL IS VERY VERY STRONG WHEN COOKING YOU MIGHT WANT THE FAN ON BUT OH SO GOOD WHEN DONE!!!
    another note...I slice this oh so super think that it looks like strips the size ofa pencil...I used flank steak this time but I have used cheap steak thatis already sliced thin from Safeway in the past. don't hunt anymore so don't have moose but I know that would be awsome...

My marinade is very similar to yours. Before I got a dehydrator, I use to use the oven also. I use to put a tooth pick through one tip of the jerkey and then hang it throught the rack. I could do a lot more jerkey that way. Also, I use to turn on the oven until the light just came on and put a golf ball on the top of the oven door to leave a small crack in the oven for ventilation. Also, lined the oven bottom with tinfoil and sprayed the racks with pam before putting in the jerkey. It was easy clean up. I would put it in before going to bed and when I woke up, it was ready.

Thumbs up dehydrator

we use a dehydrator also, I'm just now taking a batch of moose out,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good!

If you haven't tried moose bacon from Indian Valley meats yet,.... you should, yum yum yum.

Thanks for the recipie Flyergirl!!! I am going to have to give this one a try for sure.

I think it is a pretty tastey one. My oven is an electrolux and it has an actual dehydrator function built in. I did some bananas the other day. well ripened, dip in lemon juice ( or I did lime too), sliced thin and dehydrate ( took a long time 12 or 15 hours I think on low low 115 or 120 degree). they taste like sugar they are so sweet..... and much healthier than the icky ones at the store( that are fried in oil..ick)
    I have a bread proof option too so going to mess with that at some point.

moose bacon? sounds interesting. never met a piece of bacon I did not like :-)

Default Sounds alot like mine

I use a speacial seasoning salt. I also like mine a bit spicy so I slice up to jalapano's and add 2 -4 teaspons cayane pepper to the marinade.

If anyone like's a sweet and spicy add 4 Tablespoons dark brown suger and two tablespoons honey to the above ingredents , and let it marinate for an extra 12 hours. mixing every so often.

MMMM I'm going to have to set out a chunk of moose now!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default WOW

My last post would make a english teacher cringe! Next time I'll have my 4th grade daughter type for me!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

My maranade is

Flank Steak, sliced thin
    1 bottle of Burgandy Cooking wine
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 cup worshorshire sauce
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    2 cups teriyaki marinade
    2 tsp pepper
    2 tsp cayenne pepper

I mix as much steak that will fit in the marinade bag, for at least 8 hours. Then the same basic directions as the 1st recipe

hey someone posted somewhere that their beef jerky recipe was brown sugar, whiskey and soemthing else. anyone have that recipe?

Here's one with Jack Daniels.

2 pound flank steak
    ½ cup soy sauce
    ½ cup Jack Daniels bourbon
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke
    ½ cup water
    4 cloves garlic
    2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon red pepper
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder

Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Place the meat in a plastic bag
    or shallow dish and pour the marinade over it. Marinate for about 2 days.
    Stir up the mixture once in a while. Dry meat in the lowest temperature of
    your oven or in a food dehydrator, until flexible but stiff.

why thank you so kindly moderator!! I will start on it tonight!