Thread: Bug Headnets?

Default Bug Headnets?

OK, I have used many and some are better than others. For hunting has anybody found the "Perfect" one that:
    A. fits in your pocket
    B. has decent visibility out
    C. is not the stiff noisy crinkly material
    D. of course keeps the nasties out!

I bought one I think from Cabella's a few years back thats pretty close but now I can't find it - it is a bit long and heavy and perhaps in hot weather not perfect.
    Anybody got "The One" ?

I'd settle for "keeps the bugs out and able to see out of."

get with times smokey, THERMACELL!!

Default weasel

I have Thermal cells - they work great - however for some critters I am not sure I want to leave the odor they produce if I want to come back and hunt on another day - wind may be good the day you hunt but next day could shift and some animals may not like the left over effects?
    Plus, you can always tuck a lightweight mask in a pocket where it can be a bit of a nusiance to always pack the T cell!

Default Try this...

I use plain jane walmart special no-see-um proof head nets... They are light, compact and stay in the bottom of my hip pocket.

I also use a black sharpie marker and color the area you use for seeing. I used a metal ruler, a big marker and colored a wide "swath" where I see through...

It's not perfect but works much better.

I like the Outdoor Research headnet
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Bug hat

check these out Ilike em. Cheaper at other places.
    http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005002941045a.shtml

The only problem I see with those headnets is that they could possibly touch your skin. I like mine that has a ring around the top of your head, you can wear it with or without a hat and it keeps the net away from your face and neck. If that netting touches skin bugs can bite through it. I also use a bug tamer suit, love that thing.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Better vis? Black.

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    I use plain jane walmart special no-see-um proof head nets... They are light, compact and stay in the bottom of my hip pocket...use a black sharpie marker and color the area you use for seeing. I used a metal ruler, a big marker and colored a wide "swath" where I see through...
    Great tip. Black is definitely better for seeing detail (fly line on the water, for instance), but black headnets are not as easy to find. The permanent marker is a practical solution. Like WinMag, I like the plain ones that I can stash easily. Light, pack into a small space so they're always there if I need them.

The Outdoor Research has a metal ring at the top that collapses on itself for storage.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default sea to summit

I did alot of looking and ended up with the sea to summit. http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Mos.../dp/B001E5L80G

One of the most important things is the black which allows greater visability. The sea to summit is so small and light weight that I now carry 2 of them due to loosing one and having to wear a green with the wire band. Yes the wire band keeps it off you face put it doesn't pack as small and you can't control how far it sits off your face. If you are worried about that just use a good brim hat.

I have only tried a few and the only one that truely worked on the north slope in hords of skeeters was the Shannon Outdoors brand. I have tried the cheapo walmart and freddies brands, and the bug out outdoor wear one was both too dark and the bugs could bite right through it. The Shannon Outdoors one still leaves things a little dark and shadowed though.

Default tboehm

The sea to summit caught my eye some months back - color and quality look pretty good.
    I have used the wire looped models while bear hunting on stand and they are OK as you can raise the lower opening up and bunch it all on top your hat bill to give you a clear field of view when it comes time to take the shot.
    However, it makes it a bit rough to lean back and rest your head against tree's and stuff.
    I agree the black has an advantage to see through - also want a good long bill on your hat for shade - or postion yourself so you are not looking into the sun!
    The themal cell works unbelievably well on bear stands and I have not seen one react to it yet, however it is one more thing to carry if your on a hike or get caught with an unexpected bug flush!

Default mine

mine is one from the army, find a surplus store, pick one up and try it out. I think it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I like the Outdoor Research headnet
    I love mine. It is the best bug headnet I've used.

Default Found mine...

on ebay from a Canadian, they're so cheap, I bought two of them...goes well with boonie hats, so I plopped $14 @ cabelas for a BDU camo boonie...YEEEHAAA COWBOYS! (boy I wish my ole' infantry could wear boonies! that weren't desert camo!)

Default army issue

I have used the Army issue head nets since 69' and they always work. I even use them as a face camo when hunting spooky game.

I use one that is part of my hat, always there and fold into the hat if not needed

I use an or headnet and have been happy with it.