Thread: Long shaft on 15" transom???I just went and looked at a used,2006 AMI delpin 15.5' in

Default Long shaft on 15" transom???I just went and looked at a used,2006 AMI delpin 15.5' in

I just went and looked at a used,2006 AMI delpin 15.5' inflatable with a 2005 Tohatsu 25 hp motor. The boat is like new with nothing at all wrong. Excellent condition! The motor was on a stand and we started it and it is also like new. I told him I would buy it for $3800. I asked him how the motor pushed the boat and he said great but at higher speeds it would get a little squirrelly and some cavitation plate extensions would help. Told him I would pay and pick up tomorrow. After I got home I looked at some pictures I had taken and the motor looks like a long shaft and the transom on the boat is 15". Hard to tell in the pictures. I called him to measure the motor shaft length but we were not sure where to measure from. After finding out to measure from the saddle to the top of cavitatin plate it was too late at night to call back. I really like the boat and motor but I think I would have to fabricate a transom extension to get the 5" to get the most out of the motor as well as go in shallow water. He said he bought as a package and I would not think the dealer would have set him up with the longer motor. Maybe I am wrong but it looks long. I hate to shaft the guy and I really like the boat but is it worth it? What does it hurt to operate it with a longer shaft? Thanks

Default Model#

Get the model# off of the motor and call the dealer or look it up on the net.

Default I know

My 10 footer is squirrelly as all hell with a long shaft 9.9 on it.
    But it is mostly the kicker for my boat (which a short shaft wouldn't work well on)
    I only use my rqaft to get to shore and back (and maybe some investigating small coves and inlets) I was actually thinking about getting a saltwater electric trolling motor and cutting the shaft down to fit the boat. (done it before for a buddy and it worked great)

RMK

Default You may be getting the long shaft....literally

I have had a Zodiak for 22 years. I'm on my 2nd motor, and both have been short shafts. Did he say which dealer sold him that "package?" I would check it out for sure before you put out that much money, and find out you need another motor.

I picked up a great deal on a SS Yamaha after a dealer sold it to a guy for a Lund. In his case he needed a LS motor. Dealers do make mistakes it appears.

I don't know if the LS would cause any adverse affect other than drawing more water than is necessary. Most inflatables are a bit squirrelly. The bigger the motor, the worse they get. That's getting to be a pretty good size inflatable for a 25hp. It would probably work fine, but if you really load it down, getting up on step will take a bit of effort.

You measure from the top of the motor mount to the cavitation plate, a short shaft is nominally 15", long shaft is nominally 20".

I have seen people modify transoms to use a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom. Done properly it is much less expensive than getting a new lower end, done improperly your engine falls off and sinks to the bottom.

Default where

Where should the cavitation plate ride on the boat - ie. should the cavitation plate be right at the bottom of the keel of the transom?

which plate is the cavitation plate? The small one or the big one?

I have seen a pik of this config but can't seem to find it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Where should the cavitation plate ride on the boat - ie. should the cavitation plate be right at the bottom of the keel of the transom?

which plate is the cavitation plate? The small one or the big one?

I have seen a pik of this config but can't seem to find it again.
    The one directly above the prop is the cavitation plate. The plate should be with an inch of the keel...1/2" high or low.

I measured it and it is a short shaft which is what I need. Really nice boat, now can't wait to get it in the water.

Default short shaft

the rafts are great but with out a keel, it will be a little unstable when moving out an going fast, an some rafts are worse than others, look at it this way it will not sink, an there is no one boat that will do it all, if there was we would all have it

SID

RMK

Default My spin on inflatables

They do almost everything, but nothing well.

I use my Zodiak in the ocean, in lakes, and in rivers. I can enjoy the Kenai River, or hit Cook Inlet.

I can use the boat launch or beach launch the thing. Ok, that's the good news. The bad news is you usually get wet, and your back will hurt by the end of the day.

You have to take the bad and good together. They are a very versatile boat. I've been using mine everywhere from Kachemak Bay to Lake Louise for over twenty years.