Thread: Hunting Kenai's Summit Lake area

Default Hunting Kenai's Summit Lake area

Anyone ever hunt this area for ptarmigan? Having driven through this area countless times, I've always thought it looked like good ptarmigan country, with red willows and all. Yet, from the road, I have never seen any evidence of a bird there. Has anyone had any experience hunting in that area, from (approximately) the Devil's Pass trail head to Manitoba Mt. area just past Upper Summit Lake? How about the bottom of Turnagain Pass around Ingram Creek and toward Twenty Mile River?

Default summit lake

The only ptarmigan I have killed in turnagain pass were near johnson pass trial head but for summit lake we have ice fished that lake for years and there has been a few times I have seen a pile of ptarmigan breasted and left on the lake.Every time I have been there in winter I have seen some tracks.I never hunted them there to busy trying to catch a fish but with all the willow trees down in the valley and the snow this year I bet it would be holding some birds in that area this year.

Seen Ptarmi while I've been on the Devils Pass trail back up in the mountains, but never close to the trailhead.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I've hunted the power-line up from Ingram creek. Just a lot of old-growth pine forest and some big bear tracks.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Thankyou gentlemen

I'll be giving Summit a try with son and son-in-law this weekend if the weather's good. Last weekend of the season.

Default Well, we tried it.

We hiked uphill on the other side and just south of Summit Lake. That was hard going! Crusty snow and slippery, even with snowshoes that had teeth. Didn't see one bird track, feather, or pooplet. So after paralleling timber line, and zig-zagging back and forth through the willows at various levels, we headed down to the flat land at the bottom where there was also some red willow... and that's when we encountered the bunnies, apparently having a convention!

So no ptarmigan, but I'm barbequeing hoppers tonight.

thanks for the report. beautiful country to be sure. any photos? i'm longing for the kenai pen.

i think ptarmies are smarter than hares, probably holding their convention next weekend.