Thread: Chitina to Cordova

Default Chitina to Cordova

Sitting around tonight looking at the map and I was wondering if it was possible to drive the old RR grade from Chitina all the way to Cordova? Anyone ever make this trip and if so how long would this be?

Mike

Default not likley

The state tried to build a road on the RR grade many years ago but the attempt was blocked after about 2/3 of the road bed was pushed through (one crew started in Cordova and the other in Chitna). There are no bridges and some big rivers. The road even to OBrien creek is constantly being pummeled by rock slides.

The State needed to run pickup trucks downstream of loaders and dozers to get them accross some rivers.

Have some history but not much more pertinant information. It can be done I am sure, but it is not just a ride.

For what its worth,

Dan
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

I have confirmed it is not possible but if it were there would be threads of discussion of folks doing it. Last summer I looked at what use to be the place where Haley creek bridge was, that is as far I could go. Use to be able to make it one river past there most of it in a pick up. I remember seeing campers and boats (on trailers) at Haley Creek in 2001. Wow how a few years have changed things there.

Patience my friends!! It is coming!!! That's all I have to say about this right now.

You live in FL and you know something about a trail up here? Come on man, spill the beans! : )
    Last edited by chasing; 03-24-2010 at 14:33. Reason: typo

Just moved down here to Florida last year from Cordova. Married a local girl from a well known and established family there so we still stay in tune with whats going on there. As a matter of fact I'll be back there for a two week visit this fall and can check on the trail progress then. The native Corp is working on cutting the trail through. They had gotten quite a ways before I left last summer. We drove a Toyota truck for eight miles past where the road used to end without even needing four wheel drive. We'll see what they do about the water crossings though. It would definitely be a nice trip if they finish it!!

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for filling us in and giving us hope, that would be an awsome trip.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

About 80 miles from chitina to the million dollar bridge. Roughly 50 is still unimproved rail bed. Miles and miles of it has been eroded by the river leaving iron hanging in the air. If the native corps are plowing a road up it won't go all the way. Their land stops above the Tasnuna. There will need to be a lot of dozer work and blasting to re-establish a bench for a road to rest on. Connecting cordova to chitina won't happen. If nothing else the enviros and/or DEC? won't let it happen.

Well I guess the Native Corp isn't waiting on permission then, bc they sure plan on making it happen. I've been up the river 15 or so miles from the Million Dollar Bridge, and I can tell you that they've definitely scouted it out at least that far. There is marking tape and trails from the river in to the old road bed so that they can plot their course. I haven't seen it myself, but I was told there is also a crew working from Chitna towards Cordova. I've talked to the crew on the Cordova side and I know what their intentions are. They work all summer long out there running chainsaws bush hogs and everything else. They camp out there in wall tents and are putting in long hours making the trails nice and wide (you could almost get two vehicles side by side in most places). I can't imagine them putting in all that time effort and money for a road that doesn't go anywhere. Regardless, I'll enjoy the "road" no matter where it goes while I'm in Cordova! If nothing else it makes it that much easier for me to hunt deeper into GM13 without having to run the river all the way up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Well I guess the Native Corp isn't waiting on permission then, bc they sure plan on making it happen. I've been up the river 15 or so miles from the Million Dollar Bridge, and I can tell you that they've definitely scouted it out at least that far.
    I've heard this from another source. But crossing the Allen River will require a bridge. I think they've gone as far north as they will for a while. A bridge will certainly require government approval that the environmental community will oppose. Chugach Corporation has worked long and hard for the right-of-way to Carbon Mountain, and Chugach National Forest has been working with them on it. How is that road working out, do you know?

Do you have a website or contact where we could go to find out what is going on?

My opinion is it will go to the Eyak fish camp at Baird Canyon. The farthest it could go would be about Cleave creek. It is roughly 17 miles between there and the next Native lands south of the Uranatina. Is there a bridge over the Allen river? When do they expect to be done? How far below Haley creek are they? How's the bridge at Haley? Are they hiring locals for the blasting crew or an outside firm? Thanks for any info.

Default Haley

Bridge at Haley was out a while ago, nothing in there last summer that looked like a bridge.

The trail about 5 miles past the Million Dollar Bridge

For size reference. This is about as wide as it gets but is maintained for quite a ways at this same size.

And this is the end of the trail as of the last time I was there. This is the first river that you come to and is about 10 miles past the Million Dollar Bridge. The guys that are doing the clearing on the trail are using a Subaru station wagon and a crew cab four wheel drive truck. They drive both out this far. This is also where I took a Toyota truck with 33" tires. We never did use the four wheel drive on this trip.

Default Neat

This is a great thread. Keep us posted!!!

Default tsina river

years ago we drove the wheelers down as far as the tsina from chitina. at that time there was no way you could get across it.

I believe you mean the Tiekel.

That huge rain a few years back just about sealed the fate of that road as far as I'm concerned. The big rock slide past O'Brien Creek is real bad. If you look up the hill at that point it is the whole hillside that is effected. It is going to just keep sliding down with each big rain and freeze and thaw cycle. Governor Hickle tried to have that road pushed open and the environmentalists stopped the progress because the dozers were pushing dirt into the Copper River. Never mind that the river is one big silt factory in the summer anyway.

In years past I drove a crew cab truck pulling a trailer with 2 4wheelers on it all the way to Haley Creek. Those days are history for sure.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have rode. from Thomson's pass to cordova on sleds.. from the mouth of the Tasnuna ( sp?) to the million $$$ bridge there is NOT much of a trail, a lot of on the river riding that of course can not be done in the summer.. the old rail bed has been reclaimed by the copper in several spots we have even found many of the old cabins along the way..

sounds like an interesting endevor...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Those old railroad cabins are amazing! All the snow they get down there and still they stand. One in particular has the floor boards rotted out of it and still stands strong. The rail grade is the same as any trail around here. The alders and brush regrow thicker in the trail/track itself. For example you can easily see where it runs across the old Allen Glacier delta. Big green stripe right thru it.

Default you're right

it was the tiekel.