Thread: Mokai Question

Default Mokai Question

So, I'm no stranger to jet boating and I have a pretty good understanding on how both inboard and outboard jets opperate. So here is my question....I've seen Mokais out on the river a few times last summer. I noticed that those who were opperating them seemed to be able to squeak over some pretty swift and shallow stuff. What really got my attention is that for all the bottom bouncing and sliding that was occuring, I never saw them have any issues with sucking up gravel into the pump and losing power. How is that? The Mokai website doesn't have any details regarding how they function in regards to the intake and pump. Can anyone clue me in? Also if you have pictures of the boat, especially the bottom and stern I'd like to see those as well. Thanks in advance.

bairdi

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    So, I'm no stranger to jet boating and I have a pretty good understanding on how both inboard and outboard jets opperate. So here is my question....I've seen Mokais out on the river a few times last summer. I noticed that those who were opperating them seemed to be able to squeak over some pretty swift and shallow stuff. What really got my attention is that for all the bottom bouncing and sliding that was occuring, I never saw them have any issues with sucking up gravel into the pump and losing power. How is that? The Mokai website doesn't have any details regarding how they function in regards to the intake and pump. Can anyone clue me in? Also if you have pictures of the boat, especially the bottom and stern I'd like to see those as well. Thanks in advance.

bairdi
    Contrary to what you may have seen... problems are just the opposite with operation in shallows having mud, leaves and gravel or all of the above.

They do not have much power to loose.... but what you'll tend to find when operating one in these conditions you described is that the bottom screen gets to doin' its screening and if you lay on the thrust in stuff like gravel (worse yet gravel mud pudding in shallows) this will in effect mask the initial intake.

The intake efficiency and power is not generally enough suction to hold this in the grate so bad. IF you feel this masking of junk on the lower grate happening --- you completely come off the throttle and most stuff (unless really lodged in the grate) falls back into the water.

When it doesn't go so good it can become a potential major safety issue on rivers with good current and turns/logs etc. or in the ocean when you are expecting/needing throttle response.

Thanks for the response....
    I assume the grates are metal and have the same issues with bending after repeated sucking up rocks etc. just like any other jet boat? At least the smaller size of the vessel makes recifying any issues easier. Anyone else have any thoughts?