Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 month canoe trip

Default 1 month canoe trip

planning on a 1 month canoe trip any help would great thanks.

RMK

Default where?

Where are you going. The Amazon? The Yukon? It will make a difference in the advice you need.

There a book called "Two In A Red Canoe" by Meg Baldino from channel 2 news that isn't bad. She documents her trip the length of the Yukon.

i'am looking for any sugestions,as to the best ,easyest,river. thanks for your replie.

Default The Devil is in the details....

What do you consider "easy"?

What is your skill/experience level?

What is your longest canoe trip to date?

Have you been to Alaska before?

Are you travelling solo?

Are you adverse to camping in a dilapidated bus?

How much rice are you packing?

....Okay, the last 2 aren't too pertinent......

We can help with advice, but a lil' filling in of some blanks on your part could be helpful...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

No never been to alaska before, been looking forward to it my whole life , my longest canoe trip was about 8 hrs. i'am looking for class 1 2 3 rivers i will have plenty of food i hope,i will be have my 5 month old springer cooper with me. just trying to get out of illinois for alittle while or maybe for ever. thanks for your help.

Hank, I understand your wanting to get out of a big city. The idea of a long wilderness trip is fun, but 30 days in the wilds is a big bite when you haven't even done an over night camping trip before with a canoe. In my teen age years I went on a 10 day canoe trip every year into the B.W.C.A. In northern Minn. not far from you is some of the greatest wilderness canoeing to be offered. Maybe start with a week or so and see how you like it. As for wanting to run class I II & III in a canoe come on,sure guys do that but when life depends on staying dry, & not losing your stuff most would portage around that. You really should do some lake travel thru the B.W.C.A.

Default Lets try more like 7 days.

I would reccomend the Big Susitna from Talkeetna to the Deshka. The water is easy enough and that could be strung out into probably a 7-10 day trip. You would need a good map though, possibly a GPS with the location of the Deshka pre-logged into it.

If you really felt like you were comfortable out there, you could relocate to any of the lakes and have a ball moving around and camping on them. Maybe Red-Shirt lake.

Whatever you do, give a detailed plan of what you intend to do to someone before you go. Preferably, find someone local to go with you.

Post white mtn

nome creek to beaver creek to the yukon "road to road" taking your time...water level depent u could get every thing u want ...right along the lines that "AlaskaHippie" & "power drifter" said...and if things don't go as planed u mite never be found
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

thanks for the info i will look into that forsure thank you

Read up on the Noatak for a 2-3 week trip. You might not die there. Fairly safe river. Beautiful country, remote, lots of wildlife. I agree with Powerdrifter, a month is a long time. Most of my trips have been 12-13 days and that makes for a good trip.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Everybody has their opinion, so here's mine: I say put in the Yukon at Eagle, you can go to Circle in 2 days or 2 weeks, depending on how much time you want to take. If you are ready to bail, you can be done at Circle. If you are having the time of your life, keep cruising the Yukon to the Haul Road...again you could bail here or keep cruising down to one of the villages below the Haul Road. When you have had enough, either sell your canoe or load it in a plane and fly back to civilization. I wish I had a month to do a trip like this! Have fun and enjoy the stress free life!!!

thanks guys so many rivers can't decide i'am going to stay maybe 4 to 5 month possibly for ever don't know so maybe canoe a little at a time. maybe do one river for one week and then do another and soforth. waht do you guys think? just can't stand illinois any longer. The lion can no longer be caged! And possibly a river that has diffrent species of fish like gray's, northern,kings,walleye,bass or what ever!
    Last edited by hank31; 03-26-2010 at 14:00. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by hank31 View Post
    The lion can no longer be caged!
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225698102339

Quote Originally Posted by hank31 View Post
    possibly a river that has diffrent species of fish like gray's, northern,kings,walleye,bass or what ever!

After your walleye comment, I suggest you hold off on the Alaska trip for now. Check out the Bounday Waters Canoe Trails instead...

http://www.canoecountry.com/

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I assume that you are driving to AK and hauling a canoe......my first stop would be Atlin BC to canoe Atlin Lake.....beware of the Atlin River.....portage the old RR grade and tour Tagish Lake.....Bennet Lake etc....check with Kanoe People in Whitehorse....far more scenic than the Yukon below Dawson....

Noatak would also be nice but difficult to access.....

thanks for the reply vernak. were on line can i look at waterway maps. Can't seem to fined any anywhere.

Google Earth is a free download and quite useful. You can type in name places, Iamgonnadie River, Drowninginthe Lake, etc.. and it will take you there in many cases. If not, locate the places on a USGS map and then reference Google Earth against known locations.

Wink i've did this thing...u are trying to find...

I did the BWCA for 28days back in the day..the fishing was good and the beer was cold ... then in short supply,(untill) and the "ladys" from Sweden sweet...i've did the yukon from dawson to the haul road to... what i could not "hit" in the boat i covered with my sled

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Go too Old Crow Yukon Territory and float down the Porcupine River to the Yukon River and then down the Yukon until you get to the haul road bridge. That should take you about a month or a little less.

You might look at doing a portiton of the Mississippi River. My cousin and I did the trip from Northern Minnesota to New Orleans in 1969 in 91 days by canoe.

Post alen u rule!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    Go too Old Crow Yukon Territory and float down the Porcupine River to the Yukon River and then down the Yukon until you get to the haul road bridge. That should take you about a month or a little less.

You might look at doing a portiton of the Mississippi River. My cousin and I did the trip from Northern Minnesota to New Orleans in 1969 in 91 days by canoe.
    i have been there and ..."will do that".....do u need to make sure u did it rite back in the day?!!!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post

do u need to make sure u did it rite back in the day?!!!
    It was all by the seat of the pants and on about a 2 week notice to our families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast