Thread: Any other Chitina PERSONAL USE dipnetters ready to get their nets wet?

Default Any other Chitina PERSONAL USE dipnetters ready to get their nets wet?

I don't know about you, but I've been pumped up to get back down to Chitina. Maybe it was all the talk and discussion of the subsistance/personal use issue that kept Chitina fresh in my mind, but I can't wait for the ice to melt and the salmon to start bumping my net! I'm down to a handful of salmon in my freezer and ready to stock back up.

I figured when the judge told the Fish Board to review the ruling, we were going to be established as personal use from here on out. Sure enough, the vote came in 6-0 that we will remain personal use.

Lets clip a tail fin and throw it back in the rivers to the fish gods and hope for large returns every year so we can keep our limits. I was hoping that we would get put back on subsistance use status, because I really believe that with the history and use of the resource it has become a subsistance way of life for a large amount of users and I believe we should have more preference than a commercial industry.

Jerod---
    I hope for robust runs every year so we don't ever have to worry about who gets more.
    We don't need to be arguing about this bounty of salmon we just need to embrace each and every one.
    Good luck this year dipping and enjoy your family and make good memories. It all starts w/ safety so take 'er easy

Default I am ready

I can't wait, it has been almost eight years. I missed last year for a deployment and the time before that is from being stuck in Grand Forks. I only wished that the road was open all the way to the creek. I loved camping down there and my favorite rock was a 100 yards away from the tent. There was a big slide my last trip and the road was closed, lots of people got stranded back there until they could clear it out just enough to drive the vehicles back out. We took the charter down the day after they cleared the road. Plenty of gear, MRE's and water was left. My favorite gloves were found on that trip.

I'm on board - missed last year due to gas prices and the couple times I was pegged to go with a partner to share costs the river flooded. It was a loooong winter with no fish in the freezer...I'm rearing to go!

Default not this year!

So much for dip netting this year. I don't think there is a salmon run in Afghanistan. Good luck to everyone! Maybe 2011 is going to be my year.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mlwent View Post
    So much for dip netting this year. I don't think there is a salmon run in Afghanistan. Good luck to everyone! Maybe 2011 is going to be my year.

Mike
    Oh no Mike! PM me I'll make sure your family gets some reds.
    Yeah I know its not that easy logistically for me to bring reds to Anchorage in a tote for your family, but then again its not really easy to go abroad and protect my freedom.

ditto here - love to share some jars of smoked with you if I manage to pull off a chitina run this year!

Default thanks

Thanks for the offers guys, I will keep them in mind.