Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of powder at GNG!!!

Default Lots of powder at GNG!!!

I was just in GNG today and there is LOTS of powder in there right now. Picked up a pound of Lil'Gun and a can of Trail Boss. But they looked like they had just re-stocked. There were full cases of 296, H-110, rl-25, 22, 17, 10 etc.....

i refuse to purchase anything from GNG at this point, maybe forever (as do many others ive heard), due to a rude employee who never fails to be a jerk

Release Lake Trout

Cool. I need some stuff

Default I know who

you're referring to, I used to work with him. So, why not just deal with someone else? GNG has its in and outs, just like a lot of places, but they don't seem to have any trouble keeping customers. The store itself is great for me to check out, with all the great old guns on the rack and there are good deals there. I haven't worked there for several years, but I still go in, and I've had my share of rough times there.

Yes, they have been in business for 42 years, And 2009' was the best year ever. And Sportsmans went through bankruptcy 2009'........and they were going to but everyone in Anchorage out of the sporting goods business.

Default Lots of experience down there

I was just in there while traveling through and yes, it was on my mind all the comments on one of these forums about some employee that folks don't like working there...

So, I'm thinking "I wonder what it would be like going up against SW in a business like this, trying to keep good experienced employees happy and paid well when your pricing options for profits are getting hacked by the Walmart Spirit down the street?

While thinking this, one guy who obviously had a hurt back (having a hard day for sure) was stocking jags of Powder they had got in that morning and he stopped everything he was doing to answer some questions I had about 4831 or 4831sc and he obviously knew a lot about the subject and helped me extensively even though I didn't buy what he had.

Then another guy obviously very busy with the new order arrival also stopped what he was doing to explain in detail answers about Dry Case Neck Lube to me....

Bottom line, there is a LOT OF EXPERIENCE working down there, and I can't imagine walking away from all that because I didn't get treated well by one employee.

Can you imagine how hard it would be to keep an "Experienced Guy" gun shop like that going. I'll keep going in there and spending my money just to keep an owner like that doing well.

Being Offended, and walking out forever is well.... hoping you never turn into a jerk on a bad day or two yourself

Default I completely agree

I've worked in small business before and people often have bad days. If I thought I was being ripped off by an employee of the store or the store owner, that would be a different story. Just because one guy rubs you the wrong way shouldn't deter you from going back, especially when there is so much knowledge to be gained from talking with guys that have been in the business for years. I try and support the little guys as much as I can, even if it means paying another dollar or two. The knowledge and the personal experience you get beats saving a dollar at the box store where you might find a guy who has no clue what he's doing; he's just old enough to be behind the counter so that's where he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yes, they have been in business for 42 years, And 2009' was the best year ever. And Sportsmans went through bankruptcy 2009'........and they were going to but everyone in Anchorage out of the sporting goods business.

I think a lot of gun stores had their best year ever; much to do with the gun-buying craze caused by the political power change rather than anything else.

SW as a franchise was under bankruptcy and ownership change and the local stores felt the consequnce of that by not getting new stock. However, I do feel most of the gun staff behind the counter at SW is knowledgeable or helpful. I have purchased guns from SW beacuse I knew what I was looking for and they had the best price.

I have also purchased guns from Wild West; was a fair price but only place that had what I was looking for. I have purchased other gear from GNG and Alaska Tactical. I have been in GNG many times and have never picked up on any of the staff being rude. But I am always easy going and a BS'er. The last time I was in Wild West I had a good experience, purchased a gun (Ken gave me his best deal), chatted with the girls; but may have disappointed them when I fell short and did not purchase the scope tho.

There are some good comments echoed here, some off the subject but to the point so I will stray from the topic as well.
    First, thanks for the tips. Will run down there today to see if they have any IMR 4831 for a rifle that is supposed to be in my hands in 2 weeks.
    Now on to the off topic stuff and hope I dont sound like I am preaching.

Give a store another chance. Don't lock yourself out of a good source of information or products you need because of hard headedness based on a past experience or two. Afterall, you are a better person than the guy who was rude or insulting.
    Case in point, I swore I would never go back to WWG's a few of years ago. But a couple of weeks back decided I "needed" a Sig 522 and remembered they stocked them. Shot them a PM and was given a good price. Went down and picked it up off the "man" himself and the process went pretty smooth. Week or so later went back and bought some Wipeout. Again, another pleasant experience.
    Some people will be rude no matter what we do. When that happens just smile and walk away. Tell yourself that you will not allow a stranger to determine how you feel for the day
    Oh, if you love fun rifles. Buy a Sig 522. Our's has about 1,000 rounds through it already, all cheap bulk ammo. It has never jammed, failed to feed, or eject and will shoot a 5 shot group 1 1/4 group at 50 yards.
    Tennessee

That guy you are talking about I just ignore him what is so hard about that LOL. But the few times I talked with him, he's been pretty good to me hell even told me thank you for your service to our country hell I hardly ever get that when I'm in Anchorage in uniform so he can't be that bad of a guy! Now to powder I need to go down thier and see if they have IMR 4831 even though I swore I never use it I need to try out in a wildcat I have right now H-4831 is doing good but supposedly IMR 4831 is the powder to use??? Does GNG have accra glass or accra gel? I need to bed a rifle.

Pretty sure they have bedding kits/materials there. If you do not see it...just ask.

Matt

Default It was H-4831

I might clarify that it was H-4831sc I was looking for at GNG and they had H4831 coming out of the box about a week ago, just for the info of those looking for IMR 4831. They probably have it also but it was Hodgdon that I saw there, and it was the "sc" part of it that the GNG guy described the advantages of to me even though he knew they didn't have it. That's cool in my book.

To change subject, anyone been using H-4831sc in comparison to H-4831 with good results?

and Yes, I did find it at SW. There is a place for the mega store although since I started reloading I have talked with several employees at both SW and GNG and just about every other Gunstore in Anch and down south,(including two mega-Cabellas in Denver and KC) and about every imaginable Gunstore in the SW states, no kidding, I'm way into it now

"BY FAR, the GNG guys were the most knowledgable and willing to help" the "know nothing" guy. So I bought my whole setup there, JUST to invest in the local guys.

There's also a point where I quit price shopping so much when experience is available like that, I think it is worth it.

its just that one dude.....look ive spent ALOT of money (seriously, ive bought alot of guns there) in that place, and i dont expect special treatment or anything, but if im looking thru guns...(browsing) to find somethin in my price range that i like and mite want to buy, i dont want to be told "this is not a museum, buy something or get out".....its a great place with alot to offer, and we used to go in there just to talk a few of the regular old guys, hell we bought all of our ammo from there, but this particular guy has always given us a hard time, and im sure ill go back in there eventually but i dont know when

Release Lake Trout

Default Yeah, I agree

Hey Hunt & Fish, I respect what you're saying there and that your willing to say something. That does happen, I have experienced similar and hopefully a forum like this is a place where the info can get to the employee or owner that this is happening. Certainly you are not alone in this by what I have heard elsewhere on this forum.

You are right, hopefully you can get heard, I would imagine the owner may want to do something about it, probably already has...

The one thing I most like about the place is that you can access a lot of the guns and feel em out, work the bolt some, etc. I haven't seen that anywhere else and can't stand having to take a number to look at a gun or have to lean over the counter and wonder how much that one weighs or how it feels,etc.

I do wonder what they see that makes them leary of this though, like kids or fools dropping rifles or dryfiring away. It would be interesting to hear.

yea thats what i really like about that place, is the ability to handle and shoulder the guns...and maybe check the action (responsibly of course)....Kotton and I have been in and out of that store since we were 15.

Release Lake Trout

Checked with GNG, SW in Anch and Wasilla, and Boondocks, none in stock.
    Had Allen at Northland Guns order me a 8 pound jug for only $185. 3 week delivery time. Give him a call if you need any powder. He had a couple of 1 pound containers in stock but I perfer buying a 8 pounder and being done with it for awhile.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by jensen41455 View Post
    I've worked in small business before and people often have bad days.
    The dude their talking about is having a bad life. I go in once in a while but I avoid him. He disrespected my wife, and that is not acceptable.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Accuglass

GNG had both types last time I was in there. If I recall it was on the shelves by the door on the right side toward the top.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    That guy you are talking about I just ignore him what is so hard about that LOL. But the few times I talked with him, he's been pretty good to me hell even told me thank you for your service to our country hell I hardly ever get that when I'm in Anchorage in uniform so he can't be that bad of a guy! Now to powder I need to go down thier and see if they have IMR 4831 even though I swore I never use it I need to try out in a wildcat I have right now H-4831 is doing good but supposedly IMR 4831 is the powder to use??? Does GNG have accra glass or accra gel? I need to bed a rifle.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    To change subject, anyone been using H-4831sc in comparison to H-4831 with good results?
    I switched when it first showed up on the market and got the same results as I did with the standard H4831. The only difference I can see is that it is a shorter cut so if you need to run it through a powder measure it works a little better. My .338 Win Mag loves it, same as it does the standard H4831.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Has anyone talked to Joe or Frank about this guy and his `tude? I'll bet it'd get handled quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast