Thread: Taurus 44mag 4" barrel vs. 6.5" barrel?

Default Taurus 44mag 4" barrel vs. 6.5" barrel?

Hi again helpful folks, now I have a handgun question...

Taurus makes various modern-style 44mags, most of them featuring ported barrels. I have a pretty bad wrist and was wondering if the recoil difference between the 4" and the 6.5" barrel variations on a Taurus 44 made much difference, given that both are ported?

Is the extra length going to offer a lot less recoil, or not much less?
    Or is the longer barrel just an accuracy thing?

Anyone here have the 5 shot tracker in 4"? Do you miss the extra bullet? it's a pretty small, light handgun for being steel, so I'm wondering what you people think of it.
    Cheers, Dave

I was not able to tell the difference between one with ports and one without ports.

The 6" will have a little less felt recoil but not by much the 4" still weighs a bit.

Really? I have two .357mags, one ported, one not, and to me, the ported one shoots a lot flatter...maybe I'm just a weakling!

I would try to find a 4 or 6 inch Redhawk on the used market if I were in your shoes. They are a good bit heavier than the Trackers and that will help more than those tiny little ports Taurus uses. You could also have it ported if you so desire, its not too expensive and larger diameter holes work more efficiently.

Other than that, no, I don't think you will notice a differrence between the 4 and 6 inch trackers.

The little ports like on the Taurus Tracker don't really reduce recoil like muzzle brakes or compensators do, they reduce muzzle flip by venting gas upward. This does change the feel of the recoil and you may or may not find it helps you depending on a very long list of things. You can have most any gun ported for recoil or add a recoil compensator but nothing is better to mitigate recoil then more gun weight.

As far as the 4Ē or 6Ē making a difference I would say not much in the grand scam of things. With longer barrel comes some more weight but I think you will find any recoil reduction the weight gives will be countered by the added velocity from length so felt recoil will be very similar. Best bet is always to shoot them if you can.

Five rounds is just fine with me in a defense gun, if I canít get out of trouble with five I donít think one more is going to improve my odds enough to matter. For bear defense there is not going to be time to shoot more than two, three tops and by then you got it done or didnít. For people defense I just want to buy time to get out of Dodge and five will be as good as six for that. For home defense or other places where I may need to go on the offence I want all the rounds I can get and six ainít enough anyway in my book.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanx guys, sound advice as always. There's quite a few good deals on GunBroker for Redhawks, might go that route. I can hang around the shooting range and see what shows up.
    I did get to shoot an S & W 460 the other day, liked it but it was huge! If I was bigger I might consider something like that, but my hands simply aren't big enough to hang on...