Thread: Garmin Handheld GPS

12pmreyn

Default Garmin Handheld GPS

Any comments on this Garmin Handheld GPS? I really like it:

http://www.alloutdoorandmore.com/Gar...0-00631-00.htm

It is a super basic unit that doesn't do very much. I wouldn't own that model myself.

What kind of outdoor activity are you going to be engaged in and we'll steer you toward the right GPS unit to go along with it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'm also interested in your advice on this subject... i've never used more than a map and compass, but have been considering picking up a GPS to take along on hiking trips. not into geocaching or anything too specialized, just looking for a middle of the road kind of unit to keep track of my routes etc. i'm a complete newbie to GPS gadgets, but not scared to spend some time learning it. if there is a place on these forums that have this kind of info, i couldn't find it... so if it's been covered, please point the way. thanks

RMK

Default Garmin

I went with the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. It's twice the price, but has 10 times the features and accepts micro chips to expand the capability. I bought the "Alaska" chip to install a great set of Topo maps. I use it snow machining and it works great.

12pmreyn

I'm not looking for anything too advanced, just to use for some novice hiking. Thanks for the comments!

For your application you will do fine with an eTrex model. Pick the highest one that you can afford.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

good advice for thei highly recommend the Natl. Geographic Alaska TOPO software and maps to go along with it. Playing around with just the maps will help you learn GPS-related skills

i like my etrex summit.

I've owned bare basics and some slightly higher end models. I really liked the eTrex Legend. I now have a Garmin Dakota 20. The Garmin Oregon's pretty awesome but was over $100 more, so I went for lower resolution and a smaller screen.

Whatever you do, I'd strongly recommend getting one that has a USB port. It's very handy to upload and download waypoints. Main reason is that it saves a ton of time if you have map software.

The Dakota/Oregon touch screen is pretty nice vs. the mulitple buttons on the eTrex units. However, I don't think it's worth much extra money if you're on a tighter budget.

If you're just looking to waypoint where you start and put a few bread crumbs down so you can get out in an emergency, the eTrex H will work. However, the eTrex H is a gateway drug, you'll want something with more features when you start using it, then you'll end up spending even more money in the long run.

My opinion

12pmreyn

Thanks for the advice and opinions!

Question Got the GPS, now what?

Hello Folks,

Not trying to hijack this thread, but once you have a good GPS, then what? I have a Garmin GPSmap 60csx and love it. Have used it for the last 3 years and it is really handy, but I have no topo software for it. I have been reluctant to buy because I do not know what the right thing is I guess. My unit has the micro SD card so I can add storage capacity and it has a USB hookup as well. Anyone able to offer up suggestions? Your help would be much appreciated!
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Use Garmin's Mapsource programs. You want the Topo maps, NOT the streetmaps. The best package for most outdoor types is the Topo DVD with the entire country in it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...229&pvID=29597
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!