Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital SLR

Default Digital SLR

I'm sick and tired of the little digital camera that don't last. I use to be a Pentax K-1000 in my late teens thru early 30's, guy and my Old SLR is just not feasible anymore with the digital generation. Without breaking a grand, what are your thoughts for best bang for your/my buck for a good quality camera. I want to get a good camera before fishing season starts up again.

I'm pretty pumped about my new Canon T1i. Costco has the body with two lenses for underk $1K. It even has full HD video, which is pretty cool. The T1i takes a bunch of the features of Canon's higher end/professional line and incorporates them into the consumer line. We've had it for about a year, and couldn't be happier.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=18385

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    I'm pretty pumped about my new Canon T1i. Costco has the body with two lenses for underk $1K. It even has full HD video, which is pretty cool. The T1i takes a bunch of the features of Canon's higher end/professional line and incorporates them into the consumer line. We've had it for about a year, and couldn't be happier.

Costco had a special on in January and I got that outfit for $850, pretty nice deal for a great system.

Another vote for the canon line. I am still using a 1st generation rebel 6.3. When I kill it, it will be replaced by another canon.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I will have to check out the Costco Deal. I had seen a Pentex at Walmart in ER last time home for 399.00 It was being discontinued. I was a little leary of it since it was being discontinued. Never sure what the reason was for discontinuing it.

It's tough to beat the Costco Canon deal right now. They have Nikon deals as well.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

People get hung up on Brand Names, so it is tough to decided what is best for you. I have found going to http://www.dpreview.com/ is a great site to read reviews and/or go to the Forums to see what folks like. IMHO the single *best* entry level DSLR out there is the NIKON D40 (I am sure lots will disagree, but it is my opinion). Nikon has stopped making them, but there are a ton for sale around $200 for the body only. Straight out of the box you will be doing the best photos of your life, at least that is how it worked for me You do not need a degree from MIT to use it either. It is smaller than most, but fits the hand better and is great in the pack. Many *PROS* keep this camera because of its size and quality. I have purchased a number of photography items off amazon (LLC) with great success...be sure to check them any way you go...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Roger45, thanks for the link. I will do some digging with it. To me, Pentax, Cannon and Nikon are all good brands. Comparing all the cameras is just what I was looking for along with personal opinion which means alot. Versatility to me is key along with adaptability with lenses etc... Need to see it the new SLR's are compatable with older SLR's lenses with an adapter. That Costco deal looks good, but one thing I have noticed with Costco and electronics is sometimes they have Costco only products that are tweeked for lower cost.

Which lens(es) do you have for the K1000? They will work on any of the new Pentax DSLR with some limitations like manual focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by AkSKeyMoe View Post
    Which lens(es) do you have for the K1000? They will work on any of the new Pentax DSLR with some limitations like manual focusing.
    I've got a standard 50, 75-200 zoom I think, been a long time since I've used them. I've always loved the manual SLR, did a lot of B/W including developing and Printing in H/S and continued with darkrooms in the Military Recreation Centers. Its been a long time since I've played with a real camera. Anxious to get back into it. I wonder if the other camera's will work with the old style lenses with an adapter. Vivitar use to make a lot of stuff for compatability.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Roger45, thanks for the link. I will do some digging with it. To me, Pentax, Cannon and Nikon are all good brands. Comparing all the cameras is just what I was looking for along with personal opinion which means alot.
    Indeed those three manufacturers are all good brands. Each of them, for some particular situation, is the best. Plus there are examples where any of them will do equally well, and from what you've said about your interests that might fit. The hitch in that, however, is how the digital world has made the technical end of photography much easier and more fun. If you enjoyed BW darkroom work a couple decades ago, you might find a larger portion of photography is interesting today just because it won't cost the arm and a leg to even get started that it once did. (Ever do contrast masking, or unsharp masking, in a wet darkroom? That was usually restricted to 4x5 or larger with film. With digitial either is done with half a dozen mouse clicks... and you can retry it 10 times in a few seconds to get exactly the results you want!!!)

If you are likely to buy an entry level DSLR (something roughly equivalent to that Pentax K1000 you mentioned), plus a couple of lenses, and expect to use that kit for the next 10-15 years, it simply won't make any difference which brand you choose.

But if you want to invest in a photographic future, where you expect to explore and learn and will necessarily add more equipment, probably including an upgrade to the camera body, then you should pay a lot more attention to which of the three brands you choose, and also be a little more critical of even the particular entry level camera body.

Versatility to me is key along with adaptability with lenses etc... Need to see it the new SLR's are compatable with older SLR's lenses with an adapter.
    Within certain limits the use of old lenses has some value; but the idea of using adapters just doesn't work well. First, it is hard to explain to someone how significant Auto Focus and lens stabilization are. In fact Canon and Nikon are at the top of the DSLR world today almost exclusively because they saw the advantages of Auto Focus early. Olympus, as one example, thought it was great for P&S cameras but did not expect serious photographers to ever use it. They lost almost all of their SLR market share as a result.

There are specific areas of photography where older manual focus lenses are just fine today. Studio portrait work, 1:1 macro photography, and landscapes are examples where speed of operation is not as significant as a methodical approach. Kids, animals, and just general snapshots are areas where AF is of extreme value because "the shot" is gone in the blink of an eye, and of course those types of photography are what most people actually do.

An example of where owning an old lens might make it worth choosing a body to fit is if you want to take pictures of insects and own an older manual focus macro lens. New macro lenses are as expensive as new camera bodies, but they don't get better pictures than the old lens does. On the other hand, and old 70-210mm f/4 manual focus lens... is a good paper weight and a great conversation piece, but a new lens will run circles around it.

If you want to do landscapes or photograph stars through a telescope, look at Canon. For "old lens" compatibility with specialty lenses, sports photography, or low light photography, go with Nikon. For none of the above in particular, but a lot of family snapshot type stuff, Pentax has a price advantage, but all three brands work well.

I think you probably can't go wrong with either a Canon or Nikon. I don't know much about Pentax or Olympia. I bought an original Canon Digital Rebel in the 6.3 MP. It was a great camera. After a few years, it developed an odd shadow in the corner of pictures (we discovered this after a trip to Mexico). It was still under warranty, and we ended up with the next line that was out - over 8 MP - for a free exchange. We had to upgrade our memory card, but it is a great camera and the lenses changed out just fine. I like the lenses for them and you can find them for relatively inexpensive on ebay, or deals at Best Buy, Costco, etc. I think all of this likely applies to Nikons as well. So if you are not sure what to get, just get one, stick with it, learn how to use it well, and you will undoubtedly like it.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Forget dslr!

Spend some good cash & get ya a HASSLEBLAD or MAMIYA... :P

I am also looking to upgrade to a DSLR and was thinking of getting the T1i by summer. I see Cannon has a new top of the line entry level model the T2i coming out. Similar to the T1i with some upgrades. I swear I can't keep up. Just thought I'd let you know.
    I also highly recommend the dpreview site as a good resource for helping you compare models you are considering. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
    Indeed those three manufacturers are all good brands. Each of them, for some particular situation, is the best. Plus there are examples where any of them will do equally well, and from what you've said about your interests that might fit. The hitch in that, however, is how the digital world has made the technical end of photography much easier and more fun. If you enjoyed BW darkroom work a couple decades ago, you might find a larger portion of photography is interesting today just because it won't cost the arm and a leg to even get started that it once did. (Ever do contrast masking, or unsharp masking, in a wet darkroom? That was usually restricted to 4x5 or larger with film. With digitial either is done with half a dozen mouse clicks... and you can retry it 10 times in a few seconds to get exactly the results you want!!!)

If you are likely to buy an entry level DSLR (something roughly equivalent to that Pentax K1000 you mentioned), plus a couple of lenses, and expect to use that kit for the next 10-15 years, it simply won't make any difference which brand you choose.

But if you want to invest in a photographic future, where you expect to explore and learn and will necessarily add more equipment, probably including an upgrade to the camera body, then you should pay a lot more attention to which of the three brands you choose, and also be a little more critical of even the particular entry level camera body.

Within certain limits the use of old lenses has some value; but the idea of using adapters just doesn't work well. First, it is hard to explain to someone how significant Auto Focus and lens stabilization are. In fact Canon and Nikon are at the top of the DSLR world today almost exclusively because they saw the advantages of Auto Focus early. Olympus, as one example, thought it was great for P&S cameras but did not expect serious photographers to ever use it. They lost almost all of their SLR market share as a result.

There are specific areas of photography where older manual focus lenses are just fine today. Studio portrait work, 1:1 macro photography, and landscapes are examples where speed of operation is not as significant as a methodical approach. Kids, animals, and just general snapshots are areas where AF is of extreme value because "the shot" is gone in the blink of an eye, and of course those types of photography are what most people actually do.

An example of where owning an old lens might make it worth choosing a body to fit is if you want to take pictures of insects and own an older manual focus macro lens. New macro lenses are as expensive as new camera bodies, but they don't get better pictures than the old lens does. On the other hand, and old 70-210mm f/4 manual focus lens... is a good paper weight and a great conversation piece, but a new lens will run circles around it.

If you want to do landscapes or photograph stars through a telescope, look at Canon. For "old lens" compatibility with specialty lenses, sports photography, or low light photography, go with Nikon. For none of the above in particular, but a lot of family snapshot type stuff, Pentax has a price advantage, but all three brands work well.
    Floyd

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I had to look up contrast masking. I had forgotten the word. Yes, I/we use to play with exposure times, filters, borderers all the time. I always found it fascinating on how much one could do with the same negative. One could amuse oneself back in the day with a a few chemicals, paper, borders, a simple bogen enlarger and a timer.

I mostly plan to use the camera for landscape shots, family pictures, everyday snapshots, low light shots and northern lights.

Thanks for Chiming in!!!

So Canon Rebel T1i or Olympus E620?

I think I am sold on the E620 with the 2 lens kit from camera land but I thought I would post up and see if there was a great reason to go with the more $$ canon instead.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    So Canon Rebel T1i or Olympus E620?

I think I am sold on the E620 with the 2 lens kit from camera land but I thought I would post up and see if there was a great reason to go with the more $$ canon instead.

I do not know much about Olympus lenses, but if you are looking to upgrade/add lenses down the road, Canon has some awesome lenses that are reasonably priced and readily available. In my view, the upgrade of lenses is a huge reason to stick to Nikon and Canon, although as I said, I can't really speak to what Olympus has available.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I still like the NIKONs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    IMHO the single *best* entry level DSLR out there is the NIKON D40 (I am sure lots will disagree, but it is my opinion). Nikon has stopped making them, but there are a ton for sale around $200 for the body only. Straight out of the box you will be doing the best photos of your life, at least that is how it worked for me You do not need a degree from MIT to use it either. It is smaller than most, but fits the hand better and is great in the pack. Many *PROS* keep this camera because of its size and quality. I have purchased a number of photography items off amazon (LLC) with great success...be sure to check them any way you go...

Chico,

Although I'm a Canon guy for the most part, the camera body is just half (or less) of the equation. It's the number and diversity and quality of lenses that really matters IMHO. Since you mentioned a desire to shoot Northern Lights it will be important to consider at least one lens that is not only wide, but quite fast.

Enjoy your shopping journey!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post

Does anyone know if they are still having this deal? I am down range but would really like to work with someone to pick one up for me as a surprise for the wife.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast