Thread: different colors to different locations?

Default different colors to different locations?

I am from northwest Montana and have hunted black bear a littlei have noticed that in our part of Montana cinnimon bears are more common than say the southwest part of Montana.what my question is ,are there parts of Alaska that show a higher likelyhood of having wolves with certain color phases ? Any facts or observations would cool to hear

Interesting question. I've seen one white wolf in Southcental and one black wolf in the eastern interior. Everything else I've seen was gray. My sightings are a pretty limited sample size, though. It would be interesting to see if there are any trends.

I don't believe that there is a color trend for wolves. From up off of the Nushagak river, the Kenai Pen., Mat Valley, Ft. Rich., Su river system, north of Cantwell and north of Livengood, I've seen every color they have to offer in all of those locations.
    My taxidermist buddy who takes part in the aerial wolf hunting (mainly unit 16) says the same thing. All color phases everywhere.
    You never know though. Not too sure about the extreme NW part of AK. Havn't been there.
    Last edited by swampdonkey; 03-23-2010 at 15:50. Reason: spelling

I saw a black and a gray on Ft. Rich running together overlooking a moose kill.

THough the colors of them are wide spread there are areas or packs that seem to have more of one color or another running in them. I have seen where one pack might always have a few blacks mixed in others I have heard of that consisted mainly of blacks and yet other packs like the ones on my line that a black gene is in them but I rarely see a black the grys are almost always light and seldome have much brown anywhere but on the legs. Other places have a lot of brown in the greys. I think it depends on the genes they carry from pack to pack not so much area to area.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it