Thread: Walls tents? Anybody use them?

Default Walls tents? Anybody use them?

Hey guys,

Since I am always planning potential fishing trips to Alaska, I was just imagining what I would need for a 10-12 day trip to Kodiak in the fall. At first I looked for cabin rentals, and realized it was pretty costly. I then saw the post about camping.

The other day I was in a sportsman's warehouse and I saw a 'montana tent' and immediately thought this would be such a great way to get dry, and relax after a long day of fishing in the rain.

Does anybody bring one of these wall tents around for extended fishing trips?

Probably not looking to buy anytime soon as these trips will occur mostly in my head for the next couple of years.

Too many places to see...

anyways, here's one I saw that had great reviews: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cat550002&rid=

I use to own a wall tent (Davis Tent and Awning) and really liked it for hunting in the western lower 48. Most of the time I was hunting in fairly dry climates where occasional snow was the only precipitation I'd expect. I did have my tent up a few times in rain and although the canvas does well at repelling rain for awhile, eventually it started leaking in around the seams (no matter how much I tried treating it). Usually I'd just put a piece of visqueen over the roof as it was waterproof and snow slid off much easier.

For camping in areas where you know it'll be wet, I probably would not opt for a wall tent. Yes, it is nice to be able to stand up in the tent, hang clothes, get the stove going and stretch out. But for the amount of bulk and weight associated with a wall tent (and frame or posts) and stove, I'm not sure it's worth the effort unless you're taking your truck over on the ferry and hauling it around isn't as big a deal. If you think you'll use it for other adventures down the road, then it might be worthwhile. If you'd only be using it for a Kodiak fishing trip, I don't know if the costs are worth the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    If you'd only be using it for a Kodiak fishing trip, I don't know if the costs are worth the benefit.
    Very good point. I always have a few semi-planned trips in my head and I have to see how realistic it would be for me to bring the tent along on future trips.

The Cabela's one I saw is a total of approx 80lbs (I think), so its not so bad, but it does increase my cost of flight, make travel more difficult etc.

Its not something I am thinking of purchasing anytime soon.

anybody else have owned, or currently own one?

-ten years ago I lived in an 8 x 10 walltent for 7 months-

-We got it from Alaska Tent and Tarp in Fairbanks-
    -was great; nice and warm with the little Yukon Stove....
    -but, wish we had gotten one of the larger sizes...(had 2 kids and an infant in it, also)

-a friend of ours down here takes horses in, moose and caribou hunting (just his own hunting;he's not a guide)....he's got an Alaknec he sets up back in his moose area...he likes it just fine...
    -holds up fine, through all the wet weather
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default Tents

I HAVE AN OLDER 10 X 12 MONTANA CANVAS WITH THE QUICK CONNECT ALUMINUM FRAME. YOU'LL GET TIRED OF LUGGING IT AROUND ( CANVAS, FRAME,STOVE) ABOUT 120 LBS. TOTAL. BUT IF YOUR YOUNG & VIGOROUS & HAVE THE MONEY TO SHIP IT AROUND, GO-FOR-IT. YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF DOWN THE ROAD!! THEIRS SOMETHING TO BE SAID ABOUT THAT CERTAIN COMFORT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. NUTT'N LIKE GITT'N UP IN THE MORN WITH HOT COFFEE & WARM, DRY CLOTHES WAIT'N FER YA!! NICE LITTLE STOVE TO WARM UP TO AFTER A LONG HIKE/HUNT & COOK FOOD." FRESH CAUGHT" MOOSE LIVER WITH SWEET MYUAN ONIONS & YUKON GOLD POTATOES.... OH MY GOD!! CATCHING GRAYLING IN THE DARK IN FRONT OF THE TENT WITH IT GLOWING IN THE BACKGROUND & YOUR FRIENDS COMFORTABLE VOICES LAUGHING AND TALKING OF THE DAYS EVENTS. THEM RAINY NIGHTS ON THE RIVER IN SEPTEMBER WITH YOUR LITTLE SWEETHEART CANVAS TENT WILL MAKE VERY FOND MEMORIES. DOWN THE ROAD..........YOU WILL REGRET NOT GETTING IT. LS

Quote Originally Posted by cabinfields View Post
    I HAVE AN OLDER 10 X 12 MONTANA CANVAS WITH THE QUICK CONNECT ALUMINUM FRAME. YOU'LL GET TIRED OF LUGGING IT AROUND ( CANVAS, FRAME,STOVE) ABOUT 120 LBS. TOTAL. BUT IF YOUR YOUNG & VIGOROUS & HAVE THE MONEY TO SHIP IT AROUND, GO-FOR-IT. YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF DOWN THE ROAD!! THEIRS SOMETHING TO BE SAID ABOUT THAT CERTAIN COMFORT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. NUTT'N LIKE GITT'N UP IN THE MORN WITH HOT COFFEE & WARM, DRY CLOTHES WAIT'N FER YA!! NICE LITTLE STOVE TO WARM UP TO AFTER A LONG HIKE/HUNT & COOK FOOD." FRESH CAUGHT" MOOSE LIVER WITH SWEET MYUAN ONIONS & YUKON GOLD POTATOES.... OH MY GOD!! CATCHING GRAYLING IN THE DARK IN FRONT OF THE TENT WITH IT GLOWING IN THE BACKGROUND & YOUR FRIENDS COMFORTABLE VOICES LAUGHING AND TALKING OF THE DAYS EVENTS. THEM RAINY NIGHTS ON THE RIVER IN SEPTEMBER WITH YOUR LITTLE SWEETHEART CANVAS TENT WILL MAKE VERY FOND MEMORIES. DOWN THE ROAD..........YOU WILL REGRET NOT GETTING IT. LS

You've managed to make me nostalgic for things Ive only experienced in my mind.

I would look at the Alaknak II from Cabelas. It has all the benefits of a wall tent and comes in at half the weight. I have had mine all over the state in the past 5 years including 2 weeks on Afognak and have been very happy with it.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    I would look at the Alaknak II from Cabelas. It has all the benefits of a wall tent and comes in at half the weight. I have had mine all over the state in the past 5 years including 2 weeks on Afognak and have been very happy with it.
    I have to disagree w/ this. The Alaknak is an ok compromise for the summer or fall but is no wall tent when the temps drop! You also have to be more careful with the Alaknak when it comes to sparks from the wood stove. It doesn't take too much to get holes in your roof if you are burning the wrong wood. That is a rare problem w/ a true wall tent.

I just bought a Montana canvas wall tent from Cabelas, 10X12 w/ aluminum frame and a hunter cylinder stove. Still haven't taken them out of the box except the stove. I read the great reviews so I went w/ the Montanas from Cabelas, comew w/ 6' walls. I almost bought from Alaska Tent and Tarp but they only offer 4' walls.

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I just bought a Montana canvas wall tent from Cabelas, 10X12 w/ aluminum frame and a hunter cylinder stove. Still haven't taken them out of the box except the stove. I read the great reviews so I went w/ the Montanas from Cabelas, comew w/ 6' walls. I almost bought from Alaska Tent and Tarp but they only offer 4' walls.
    If you dont mind, How much did it all cost you in the end?

Has anyone used a 8X20 costco tarp garage for a wall tent with a man door with window front. I was thinking on getting one for this reason for a moose base camp this year. Much cheaper and spacious. And then get a smaller tent garage from AIH for a cook shelter. Both combined together should be around 400 bucks.

[QUOTE=LuJon;695599]I have to disagree w/ this. The Alaknak is an ok compromise for the summer or fall but is no wall tent when the temps drop! You also have to be more careful with the Alaknak when it comes to sparks from the wood stove. It doesn't take too much to get holes in your roof if you are burning the wrong wood. That is a rare problem w/ a true wall tent.[/QUOTE]

...I'll second that....

-good advice!

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

I have camped in wall tents for many years. In my opinion there ain't nothing better or more comfy.
    If you take care to make sure they are completely dry before you store them, and with very little maintenance it will last you a life time.
    My last two were Montana brand, They are very well made and i have never had a leak.
    It is good practice to use a fly or tarp on the roof though, helps with the UV'S and snow.
    Many good brands out there and Montana is right up there with the best..
    12x14 will fit 2 or 3 people very comfortable, and i have slept 7 peaople in a 12X14 in a pinch.

You can get away with out a metal frame if you are going to be somewhere you can cut some poles.
    I have places in the back country i camp and use the same ploes year after year.

What i like about them is the room to move around in, pretty nice in the morning when 3 guys are trying to get dressed and geared up , pretty tough to do in a camper or trailer.
    The wood heat is very nice, it drys clothes fast and fuel is always available.
    They can be folded up and requires very little room to store, or transport.
    For a small fee you can rent a small storage shed to store it and other camping supplys you have and just leave it right there in Alaska.
    I have a little wood stove that folds up into a small package the pipe collapses inside it's self and fits inside the stove for storage, it only wieghs about 8 pounds..
    It will more than heat the place up, even in -0 weather.

Ya just can't go wrong with a wall tent..

Chico..
    I have had that very idea, i think it would work great, except that a wood stove would be out of the question,,and with propane heat nothing could get dry..
    Im thinking i will get one for a cook house though..
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.packsaddleshop.com/KniCoStove.html

The Alaskan stove from Kni-co is the one i have,, I have had it for over five years and its still going strong.. It's best to spread about an inch of dirt in the bottom before you start any fires in it, that will keep the bottom from burning out..
    The water heater that attaches to the side is a great item..

The older model Cabelas/Montana tent works best with the rain fly to reduce condensation. The 45 degree stove pipe iin the photo is aftermarket to avoid embers on the realite fabric.
    A
    Attached Images Attached Images