Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kah Sheets Bay coho fishing

Smile Kah Sheets Bay coho fishing

My party of 4 has the Kah Sheets Bay Cabin reserved September 7-10. We'll be renting an 18 ft. boat in Petersburg. Any tips on how to fish for coho in the bay? at the cabin? in the creek? Best at high tide? Fishing tidal holes at low tide? How is the fishing at the lower waterfall hole? Favorite lures for the creek? Thanks for your guidance in advance.

Default Creek

At that point in the season you'll be fishing the creek most. There's some decent holes around the bay cabin and I'm sure you would do well at the lower falls. I've always fished Mepps spinners around there, but I'm sure that flies and jigs would be a good way to go.

Default Flys

If you fly fish try ESL.

Thanks! Are there any places nearby to troll for coho in the saltwater?

Default Trolling

Most fish will be heading up the rivers. If you must troll try the points around the bay. Either way you'll have a good time.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default A little late

That point in september trolling will be pretty slow around Kah Sheets. Most of the streams in the Duncan canal area are late-july or august run silvers so by september you'll want to focus on the creeks themselves.

Default sign?

Would you expect to see sign on top of the water (in the saltwater) that a school of coho's were there like birds diving or splashing?

So, Kah Sheets tends to run later than does Blind Slough and Ohmer Creek? My experience has been that Blind Slough and Ohmer Creek have been best about the second week in September.

Default A little earlier

By the second week in September Blind Slough is doing reall well in the river itself and throwing spinners on the incoming tide. Kah Sheets would be pretty much the same, but I think you would do best concentrating on the creek. There are still fish moving around for trolling but it won't be as active as trolling in mid-august.

Lousiana,

Short answer yes. Birds would be an indication that there are possibly some fish feeding in an area. For trolling silvers it really works best to fish the tide rips around points. And along the outside edge of kelp beds.

Thanks! I'm confident we'll catch lots of fish. The creek will, most likely, be packed with pinks. Sometimes it's tough to get through the pinks to get to the cohoes.

Default Pinks?

I would hope that the lower portion of the creek should be pretty much done with pinks by the time you get here. Either way you'll catch fish. I know fishing there in August we've had our fair share of pinks in the creek though.

Default pinks

Will pinks be in the creek the third week of July?

Default Not really

Last time I went to Kah Sheets in mid to late July there were maybe 5 pinks down near the mouth. But run timing is alittle different every year. Either way there will be a few but not too many. Of course I know one year a group went to the falls in late July and found a handful of silvers mixed into the sockeye.

Do you use jigs under a bobber?

Default Jigs

I find the jugs under a bobber to sometimes be just the ticket to not catching pinks. This falls pink run will only be 1/2 of last year apparently so hopefully they won't be too bad. If you're casting and dragging through salmon with a spinner etc it is pretty easy to get snagged. Pink or orange work well.

Do you guys plan on keeping fish? Always wondered how that worked at the remote cabins.

Mike
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Keep fish,

I wondered the same thing about keeping fish at remote cabin. Is it legal to filet the salmon and bring out just the fillets? Seems like that would save on room and weight.

Default Filleting Helps

You can only have the posession limit for fish whether filleted or not. For SE AK limits are 6 daily, 12 in posession. So if they aren't frozen or canned, you can come out with 12 fish. 24 fillets is more than enough per person but even then you'd need to bring a bunch of ice and make sure to keep only fish the last two days outside of what you eat.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

We'll be at the Kah Sheets Bay Cabin 3-4 days. We're bringing 2 Igloo 5-day, 40 quart coolers filled with shaved ice. We'll keep our beer and perishables on ice. We'll use baggies to pack the fillets and put them on ice. Coastal Cold Storage will meet us at the dock to pick up our fillets for flash freezing. We'll fill the coolers with frozen fillets to 50 lb. total weight for transport back to Oregon on the jet. Thanks for your input on the jigs! We use them regularly here in Oregon for steelhead.

Default Perfect

I just read you have an ocean boat, getting back to Petersburg is a great idea. Same jigs as the steelies, worked wonders this fall.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Quick Run

It's only about an hour back to the dock, if you found yourself loaded with fish early in the trip. You could always make a quick run to town to drop off fish with coastal then get back out before too long. If you plan on trying for halibut that would be a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast