Thread: Moquitoes and so on

Default Moquitoes and so on

Hi everybody!
    We will camp in Alaska next august.
    I'm wondering which mosquitoes repellent to buy?
    In France we have some very efficiency (for french mosquitoes) but also absolutely bad products.
    I prefer sprays rather than cream.
    Which brand should I buy? I guess I can find it in every Walmart?
    Should we avoid spraying repellent just before going in our tent for the night (I'm thinking to the bears)
    I know we have to avoid food in tent but what about dirty socks and smelling shoes (I had a dog who loved them!)
    Thanks for help!
    Marie

Default deet

100% deet.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Mosquitoes

I think any brand of repellent with 30% or more of DEET will work fine. You should be able to buy it at Walmart, Fred Meyers or many other places. I wouldn't be concerned about DEET attracting bears. I also wouldn't be concerned with dirty socks and shoes attracting bears. Carry some bear spray, follow the standard bear advice (like storing your food away from your tent and making noise as you go through thick brush) and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chatpacha View Post
    Hi everybody!
    We will camp in Alaska next august.
    I'm wondering which mosquitoes repellent to buy?
    In France we have some very efficiency (for french mosquitoes) but also absolutely bad products.
    I prefer sprays rather than cream.
    Which brand should I buy? I guess I can find it in every Walmart?
    Should we avoid spraying repellent just before going in our tent for the night (I'm thinking to the bears)
    I know we have to avoid food in tent but what about dirty socks and smelling shoes (I had a dog who loved them!)
    Thanks for help!
    Marie

....great advice so far, previously posted...

-also, this might seem a little far-fetched, but it has always worked for me:

-taking double-doses of vitamin B complex(all the vit. B's), and garlic seems to keep a great deal of the mosquitos away...
    (a week prior, and then throughout a camping/hunting trip-)
    -also, ingesting great quantities of real butter (in your food, on bread, crackers, etc-) helps to eliminate about 75% of any body odor....(really!)

-the DEET repellant is great, as mentioned above...
    -also, we have used the "mosquito coils" burning outside our tent, and cabin,before....I can't remember the name brand of them...maybe someone here can post it-

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Buy a Thermacell when you get here. They have them at Sportsman's Warehouse or Walmart. It runs off a little butane canister and heats up a pad. I was suprised how well they work once they heat up. It gives you about a 15 ft radius free of mosquitos. I have yet to find something that works better thats not deet. I would still also get some spray with 100% deet like "Ben's." They sell that at Wal-mart too. Definately be prepared or you could be miserable.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermacell...ci_sku=4956485
    Last edited by hbons; 03-23-2010 at 12:52. Reason: add link

Default More on Thermacell...

Quote Originally Posted by hbons View Post
    Buy a Thermacell when you get here...
    Good recent Thermacell (and other methods) discussion:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=75273

Headnets are simple.

Default "Expert Advice"...

The "Expert Advice" from REI is detailed and informative too: http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...repellent.html

Default Nice!

Thanks everybody!
    I didn't know Thermacell and sure I will buy it!
    Marie

great post. Heard of the Vitamin B Complex from a friend, just haven't heard it backed up.

looks like its DEET spray and Vitamin B for us.

Oh... Im headed to AK for some fishing around the end of July. Counting down the days.

jwolf

Too funny, just had a chat about this topic.. If your skeeter sensitive than choose your area well. Donít pitch a camp near water -stagnet areas and best bet is high and dry. Iíve heard B-Vits work and probably garlic too but choose your location well. Really, if your skeeter sensitive you better like the smell and taste of deet when the sun aint shining bright, the wind aint blowing and there is not a down pour of rain. Best of luck..

Had great results with Thermacell last season--I was IMPRESSED!

Default .45 lc

I use my .45 Long Colt with Bear Loads - couple shots usually gets one or two shooed away! You may want something with more magazine capacity if there be lotz a them. :-)