Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited Space Reloading

Default Limited Space Reloading

I'm certain that at least a few other brethen who have moved into a smaller abode have confronted the issue of how to reload in tight (tighter) space.

Specifically, where you will set up your press (Rockchucker) in an area that is essentially used for other purposes...in this case my home office.

One option that crosses my mind is to buy a B&D Workmate and just install the press on it...with enough room for a powder scale and components.When finished, put it away in a closet.

Option 2 might be to mount the press with plywood backing or even 1X4 backing and large "C" clamps on my heavy duty office table/desk and then disassemble it when I'm finished.

Know this is a bit off topic here, but you can't hunt if you don't have ammo.And I ain't buying factory ammo.

Inspired thoughts or insights?

If you have a small coat closet you can install some shelves in it. A sturdy one at desk height for the press and some lighter ones above for storage. Just open the door and pull up a chair. If you don't have closet space you can bolt the press to a 2x8 about four feet long and c clamp it across the office table. Use something thicker than plywood or 1x4.

Default Urrgggh

It sure takes some of the fun out of reloading - but here's how I do it.

I built a 18" tall "bench" that I drilled for my mounting plates. When I get ready to load I take out the bench - which serves double time as another shelf in the garage - and I put the short bench on top of my garage working bench. Then I get out the 3 storage boxes full of reloading -stuff and dig through each one getting out and mounting the reloading stuff for the day - it differs depending on whether I am pouring lead, prepping cases, or assembling cartridges. I really like my loader to be chest high so this works good for me. When done I pack it back into the 3 storage bins until next time.

I really really miss not having room for a good sized bench with storage for powder and all the goodies.

try this website called ..www.6mmbr.com look around the website to find this set up ..

Default I mounted a press

To a piece of 2x8 about 10" long and use long reach c clamps and clamp it to my kitchen table, tail gate or flat log in the woods if thats all I got. It is all completely portable stored in a plano plastic box. I can reload anywhere I need, just a thought
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I have my loading setup in my crawl-space. I have a large family in a small house, so I didn't have much choice. (Garage is not heated) I had to get a bit creative to make it work though. I had a pretty sturdy wooden table I wanted to mount the press on, but it wouldn't fit through the opening to the crawl-space. So I cut the table in half length-wise, took it down, then fastened it back together with flat stock steel on both sides with bolts and nuts in three places. (One set in the middle, and one on either end.) This has made the table every bit as sturdy as it was before and it works like a charm. I have since built some rudimentary shelves into the floor eaves for powder and bullet storage, and I am now also casting bullets down there.

It's quiet, and keeps everything out of the reach of the kids without having to pack everything away each time I load.

I even have a wireless network in my house and I am currently posting this from my laptop in the crawl-space.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I have my loading setup in my crawl-space. I have a large family in a small house, so I didn't have much choice. (Garage is not heated) I had to get a bit creative to make it work though. I had a pretty sturdy wooden table I wanted to mount the press on, but it wouldn't fit through the opening to the crawl-space. So I cut the table in half length-wise, took it down, then fastened it back together with flat stock steel on both sides with bolts and nuts in three places. (One set in the middle, and one on either end.) This has made the table every bit as sturdy as it was before and it works like a charm. I have since built some rudimentary shelves into the floor eaves for powder and bullet storage, and I am now also casting bullets down there.

It's quiet, and keeps everything out of the reach of the kids without having to pack everything away each time I load.

I even have a wireless network in my house and I am currently posting this from my laptop in the crawl-space.
    Sounds good.

Do you have ventilation when you cast bullets?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Sounds good.

Do you have ventilation when you cast bullets?

Smitty of the North
    I figure the ventilation is pretty good, since the HVAC system for my house is set up down here. As a precaution, I turn on the melting pot and leave for about 20 minutes while the ingots melt, and of course none of the family is allowed down here while I'm casting. I've been brainstorming about creating some sort of additional means of air movement to the outside for this, but I'm not sure it's needed.

I'm certainly open to ideas from anyone more experienced!

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

You, my friend, have achieved troll-status! Its like your own little 'bat-cave'...I think we need pics of this setup!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It sounds kinda like a BUNKER.

Maybe, even suitable for a MODERATOR.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Your own secret layer . . . that's the fort I dreamed of as a kid, not so much now though.

Did you ever dig out the floor so you can stand up?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have an old maple butcher block that is about 3'x2'x4", it sits on legs at the same height as my supper table. I keep it in the corner of the kitchen/dining room, and when I want to load I just spin a chair around from the table to the bench and away we go. I also have a Rubbermaid chest of drawers to store my supplies.

Can't wait to get into a place with a reloading room.

lead is poisonous man. Really bad for kids and you. Kids though keep 50% of lead, touched or inhailed=really bad. Lead in gas form is the worst. It is going all over your house man. Lead causes all kinds of damage to adults and even more to kids. Brain damage, reproductive harm, ADD, all kinds of stuff man. Any reloader should look into this. Your body sees lead as calcium, there for it stores in wierd places.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    You, my friend, have achieved troll-status! Its like your own little 'bat-cave'...I think we need pics of this setup!!
    Hah! Maybe I'll drag the camera down there and get a few. I'll have to tidy up some first though.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout
    lead is poisonous man. Really bad for kids and you. Kids though keep 50% of lead, touched or inhailed=really bad. Lead in gas form is the worst. It is going all over your house man. Lead causes all kinds of damage to adults and even more to kids. Brain damage, reproductive harm, ADD, all kinds of stuff man. Any reloader should look into this. Your body sees lead as calcium, there for it stores in wierd places.
    Everything I've read suggests that adequate air movement (ventilation) is good enough to dissipate the gasses and mitigate the risk. Is this incorrect? I suppose I might be able to come up with some way to cast in the garage and just leave the door open...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It sounds kinda like a BUNKER.

Maybe, even suitable for a MODERATOR.

Smitty of the North
    What kind of trouble are you trying to bring down on me Smitty?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields
    Your own secret layer . . . that's the fort I dreamed of as a kid, not so much now though.

Did you ever dig out the floor so you can stand up?

Not yet - I figured I'd wait until I'm converting the garage to living space so it's easier to get the dirt out.

It's my only way to get away from the chaos of seven kids in a small house.

It's my only way to get away from the chaos of seven kids in a small house.
    Yeah, I guess you're already on your hands and knees all day changing diapers and playing with the buggers, so whats a few more hours creepin' around the crawlspace?

Yeah, I guess you're already on your hands and knees all day changing diapers and playing with the buggers, so whats a few more hours creepin' around the crawlspace?
    Really ^^^this guy is throwing jokes around^^^ heck he hasn't found a crawl space yet he could do jumping jacks in

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    7 kids? No reproductive harm yet!

I was a telephone cable splicer for more years than I care to talk about. I sat in manholes and unsoldered lead sleeves made new ones and then wiped the joints air tight with molten lead. I did this for hours on end and in the early years there was no such worry concerning lead fumes. I breathed so many lead fumes that I weigh fifty pounds more than the average guy my size but other than that there isn't..isn't..there's not... ain't nothing....very much wrong with me!

Take every precaution with the lead fumes!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Really ^^^this guy is throwing jokes around^^^ heck he hasn't found a crawl space yet he could do jumping jacks in
    Hey.....

Hey.....

yeah, I should stop pokin fun at you at least until after I get my 10mm back from you, I would hate for it to fall into the "pink" pile

Then again a pink slide over a purple frame would probably give me some extra time in a bear charge. I figure the thing would pause about 10 yards out to wipe the tears out of it's eyes from laughing at me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast