Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any body else see this?

Default Any body else see this?

Home on R&R went out to Goose Bay and drove out to the boat launch. Where the road T's there is this poached cow on the edge of the road (trail) My seven year old asked me what is poaching and whats wrong with it.
    The kill is at least a week old the first I saw it was Tuesday March 16

One picture is of the unborn calf laying in the road.
    The other is a full hind quarter. I am sure the meat is still good, couple of eagle pecks here and there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Just think we had cow hunts going on in 20A just acouple of weeks ago. Killing two moose with one shot I hope all the people who take part in the late season feel good when they open up a cow and find the calf. And no I am not against hunting cows I just do not agree with the late hunt or shooting of wet cows.

Default What a shame

They could have atleast taken all the meat!
    I still believe that if you need the meat to feed your family then it's ok! However wasting anything is annoying to me. I hope some family in the area is atleast thankfull for the fresh meat!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default ?

It could be roadkill...Don't just asume poaching. Yes I agree whoever was geting this moose should have salvaged all meat. was out there yesterday and moose were all over the road.

Did you call it in yet? If so what did they say?

What a shame, the unborn calf is disturbing.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Default Call In

No when I first saw it it had been there for awhile. It is in the middle of the road to the boat launch. I guess i figured someone had reported it. But after taking pics and thinking about it last night with the meat left behind as well as the calf it probably is unreported or was for a while. I'll call right now and let you know
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

Default Adf&g

Talked to dispatch I don't think they did know. Someone headed that way now

Could be a poachlatch moose.

Let us know what they say.

Such a lovely site for the young ones

Im glad you called the troopers, and I wish you had not put the pics up for the entire world to see, but rather given those to the authorities to determine if it was truly a poaching situation.

It fuels a fire for the anti's that doesn't need to burn. Especially the pic of the calf - its kind of sick to be honest.

As for poaching, like someone else said - could have been a roadkill, and someone salvaging what they could, found the calf and were sickened by it. Could have been alot of things besides poaching.

If someone finds a dead moose (however it got there) and starts to cut it up ( even though they should have called it in), are they guility of Poaching? Wanton Waste? etc.

Default why

why you would imediately offer that up as a poaching situation to your own kid is beyond me. are you assuming or do you know this moose was poached. and i agree with cutter, no reason to place two mangled up pics of a moose that was on a road (boat launch had a road going to it didnt it) on a forum like this and call it poaching. dont be naive...do you think we're the only ones who read forums like ours. theyre are numerous ways that moose die man. that pic of the calf was not needed and completely uncalled for. a simple note to others on the forum as to moose remains in a given spot would suffice, along with a query as to whether or not anybody knew what happened. try to remember man, that anti's think with there bleedin hearts not with theyre heads, to them, poachers and hunters are the same thing, no matter how f$#%ed up that may be.

Default Ahh, yes...

gotta love the jumping to conclusions on this thread! & Thank you to all the skeptics sayin' it may not be a "poached" moose...

If it were a "potlatch" moose, I would venture to guess that all the meat would've been salvaged...

That's like callin' the cops after seein' a dead body & sayin' it was a "murder"...guess who'd be my #1 suspect...

I think the pictures are fine. I also have no issues showing that to a kid. My kids were introduced to such things before they could walk. Dead things are part of life in the wild. What those pics did show to me is that it was worked on by a human with a knife. The pic with the hide rolled back is certainly the work of humans..I've never seen a critter do that. Road kill? Died of natural causes? Who knows. It was at least partially gutted and skinned.

It's no surprise that it's down at the end of KGB. That place is disgusting and a dumping ground for irresponsible people. I can barely stomach going down there in the summer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default interesting to see

clearly in one of the photos tire tracks....pic from post #7........and blood on the ROAD in the ice..........and blood on the road in the tire tracks in the ice.............................................he llo!

perhaps it was a VEHICULAR POACHING!

The place the poster is talking about is not a highly likely place for a road kill. Speed there is 5 to 10 mph and the road is just more than a trail.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The most disturbing thing about the dead calf pic is that someone wasted the tenderest meat!!

Could be potlatch poached Moose.

I prefer mine as soup or steak, but cooking Moose semi boiled like an egg wouldn't be a crime would it?? ~~LOL!!~~

I know......."Whatever....."
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i highly doubt you would take that home and eat it if you discovered it while butchering the cow.

Release Lake Trout

One trend I have noticed here are the group of people that always post about the "anti's". Anti hunters dont like anything we do, whether it be posting info about a hunt or a picture of a deer we shot, they have a problem with it all. I dont think we should have to regulate what we post here just because one of them might be lingering on this site and get their panties in a wad. If we really gave a crap about what they thought anyway then this site wouldn't exist. Hopefully all this worrying about pis*ing off the "anti's" doesn't take away any of the enjoyment of the outdoors for you guys, I personally dont give a crap what they think, keep posting!!!

we could represent ourselves in a mature way. it only takes a small amount of research to realize i dont have the slightest problem with posting pics of dead animals...but i still dont have a clue what good advertiseing the assumed poaching of a pregnant moose did? as always just my opinion. if it WAS a poacher, i definitely wouldnt advertise what an idiot someone that probably called themselves a hunter is. thats just me though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast