Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Deer

Default Kodiak Deer

I am planning to go to Kodiak to hunt Blacktails the first week of december. I've hunted blacktail on POW so I assumed the deer on kodiak were roughly the same body size. I was recently told however that mature bucks on Kodiak can go over 200 lbs. Is this true or false. Also are the post-rut bucks still great eating? Thanks for any answers guys.

very true about their size....if theyve had a good year and an easy past winter they can top 250. The meat is delicious. we hunted southwest kodiak in 2008 and we had a blast...you wont be disappointed.

Release Lake Trout

this is one of the bucks i took. we guessed him to be 210. he made excellent eating

Release Lake Trout

i've seen them rutting into early dec...eating still good though and yes, over 200 is a big one
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I guess you can still get 3 tags but I don't want to be a glutton. Still I wouldn't mind a chance at 2 and maybe donate some meat. It's hard to fly back with too much meat. I'd love to bowhunt them as well but it's also a pain to fly with a bunch of archery equipment. I'm thinking I'll just take my 308 encore pistol because it's compact to fly with(it fits in my carry on luggage, lol) and I enjoy hunting with a handgun.

Thats a good lookin deer Hunt&Fish. Meat is just fine after the rut, but not as good as in the summer. Good luck on your hunt, here is a big boy I took late November last year...
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks CG nice one yourself! man i cant wait to go back this november for more of that action! no one hunted our area last year so it should be even better

Release Lake Trout

Nice buck cgswimmer and your right can not beat the early meat.hunt+ fish I dont think they get 250 ya a big one is 200 for sure but 250 is almost mountian goat size.I haven't seen one that big but can be wrong any way here is a pic of my late season buck

yea probly not 250 but your dad and I agreed that buck i got was likely a bit over 200, without a scale i guess we'll never know but it reminded me of north idaho whitetails lol. that was my first kodiak buck so all I know is they are way bigger than PWS deer

Release Lake Trout

Default Dec Kodiak

A buddy and myself hunted Kodiak Dec 1 through 8 this past year (2009) Between the 2 of us we shot 4 bucks, and saw many, many more. All bucks taken were 8 pt. Eastern count (3 point'ers to us) Some were larger than others but in my opinion I do not think any of them approached 200 lbs on the hoof certainly not 250. It was a non-guided hunt so we were taking care of everything ourselves and we had no problem dealing with them weight wise. We shoot a lot of Desert Mule Deer down here and they run about 200 lbs and are larger in body than the Kodiak Blacktails we saw.

One item of concern is that is the time of the year the bucks start shedding their antlers. We shot a buck on Dec. 3rd that lost an antler when he hit the ground, (see photo) on Dec. 4th we saw our 1st live buck missing an antler and by Dec 6th it was a common sight to see a buck missing one or both anglers.
    • File Type: jpg BT.jpg (104.9 KB, 167 views)

Default I've shot a few

"average" sized bucks on Kodiak. I would guess that their dressed out (guts removed) weight would go between 125 - 140 lbs.
    Gary

haven't heard of any substantiated 250 lb reports (or even close). 200 lbs for a blacktail is rare but does happen, especially after a mild winter. 150-180 for a big buck is most common in my experience.

not saying i have seen/heard it all, but guesses about an animals weight in the field are just that.

Is it common for them to lose antlers that early? We'll be there until the 4th and were told they don't usually start dropping until mid-december. That was one concern for going this late but the dates are set in stone now.

Default dropping antlers

Not sure what is "normal" but when we booked with our transporter/lodge this was the last week (Dec 1 - 8) that they took clients out even though the season goes later due to antlers being dropped.

Based on what we saw and heard from other hunters in the airport on the way out, you should be good leaving on the 4th. The 3rd or 4th is when they just started dropping, there were still plenty of bucks with both antlers on during this week.

Personally I would still go as late as possible hoping for the coldest/snowest weather. We got lucky this past year with the snow and the warm/cold weather crusting the snow over, it pushed the deer down low, low. We saw many deer literally on the beach.
    Last edited by c-ne-elk; 03-23-2010 at 14:43. Reason: add last line

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    haven't heard of any substantiated 250 lb reports (or even close). 200 lbs for a blacktail is rare but does happen, especially after a mild winter. 150-180 for a big buck is most common in my experience.

not saying i have seen/heard it all, but guesses about an animals weight in the field are just that.
    I agree with this post.

Default Here are some big ones from the past

I would guess several of these to be 200 Lbs with the first stag being 220Lbs or better.
    This was a stag taken in November, by 20 lbs the biggest deer I have ever carried off the mountain. His head looks small compared to his body and neck thanks to the absence of testosterone.

These two were taken in mid October 1995 before the rut started and peak weight. That year the deer were huge bodied and abundant. Again I would guess were 200 Lbs.

I weighed 225 on the hoof in this picture and this stag deer certainly looks to weigh what I do.

Default stag bucks

Here is the crazyist stag buck I have ever seen.The one of two I have seen in hard horn,most are covered in velvet.Yet all are over 200 lbs

here is the other hard horned stag just shy of 200lbs

There are a lot of people from outside that have the impression that our deer up here are small. I have on numerous occasions, in talking with outsiders about deer hunting, been asked, "Have you ever hunted those little Sitka blacktail?" Or, "How do those little deer you got up there taste?" I think the general misconception is that since Sitka blacktail racks are significantly smaller than a lot of whitetail rack their body size must also be smaller. I've only blacktail hunted on Kodiak once, but we shot some real pigs in terms of body size. We guesstimated average weight to be around 180#.

I hear what you're saying troutbum. Those deer look comparable bodywise to our mulies here in Utah. Correct me if I'm wrong but the one blacktail we shot on POW and the rest we saw looked much smaller body size than these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast