Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Shrimp HOW DEEP IS TOO DEEP?

Default PWS Shrimp HOW DEEP IS TOO DEEP?

I am new to this forum and new to shrimping. I have fished Kachemak and Resurrection bays for years and am wanting to explore the Whittier area for shrimp this spring. I have a good idea of where I am going to set my gear but I was hoping to ask you experienced shrimper's the question of how deep is to deep to fish. I am geared up a max of 200 fathoms but with my 1/3 ratio of reserve rope I will really be targeting shrimp at 150 fathoms. Is this to deep? Is there a benefit to fishing at 150 fathoms to fishing at 90 fathoms?

Any Ideas?

Default Why so deep?

I target areas from 400-650 feet. I wouldn't say that there is not good shrimping at 900' or more, but I dont think that you need to go that deep. There are many discussions on this forum about shrimping. Try doing a search, and you will find an abundance of information.

wow definatley need a hauler then i remember hauling up pots from 300ft by hand we each pulled one and left beat with our 6 shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog03 View Post
    I am new to this forum and new to shrimping. I have fished Kachemak and Resurrection bays for years and am wanting to explore the Whittier area for shrimp this spring. I have a good idea of where I am going to set my gear but I was hoping to ask you experienced shrimper's the question of how deep is to deep to fish. I am geared up a max of 200 fathoms but with my 1/3 ratio of reserve rope I will really be targeting shrimp at 150 fathoms. Is this to deep? Is there a benefit to fishing at 150 fathoms to fishing at 90 fathoms?

Any Ideas?
    Are you for real? 1200 feet of leaded line? Are you using a bow picker reel to store your rope when you're done?

Honestly though, 450-600 feet is plenty deep enough to produce shrimp.

5 to 700 and you'll be fine if your on some good ground

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

You're wasting your time. There are no shrimp in PWS

I drop 2 strings in 800 - 900 feet 2 pots on one 3 on the other.

But just for giggles this year I found a spot that looks promising to try one, but it is 1800 feet. I'll only run one string with 2 pots and both sets of lines linked.
    I just want to try once.

I do notice that they seem to be larger deeper.

But as Steve says it all depends on the grounds. I set last year at 800 and went a few miles away on the other side of the channel with the same structure and slope (according to the sounder and the NOAA chart) the first string I was averaging 100 or so per pot.

The second string only had 20 or so total for the three pots.

The first set was on the "shady: side of the island the second was on the "sunny" side. Probably doesn't matter one bit but you would think the second set would have done better

Fishing more than 120 fathoms is creating extra topside work without any benefits. I like 85 fathoms as a starting point, then tweak up or down.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I have heard that at greater depths ~150 fathoms the shrimp are larger, but not as numerous. I've been dropping at 85-100 fathoms with fairly good results, but if ADF&G opens the sound up to 8 pots, I could see dropping a few deep just to see whats down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    but if ADF&G opens the sound up to 8 pots, I could see dropping a few deep just to see whats down there.
    Now why would they do that, is this for real? With 5 pots a guy can get all the shrimp a family can eat, give away to friends, etc, etc… I only fish 4 and still have a few bags left from last year. Nothing like getting overconfident of the sustainability of the biomass, that’s what happened 20 years ago.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Now why would they do that, is this for real? With 5 pots a guy can get all the shrimp a family can eat, give away to friends, etc, etc… I only fish 4 and still have a few bags left from last year. Nothing like getting overconfident of the sustainability of the biomass, that’s what happened 20 years ago.
    They are considering it - I was in Fish & Game last week and they said it is a proposition - They will announce it by (probably by emergency order) before season opens if it goes.

Charterboat Operator

Default 2695 fathoms

was off the Kona coast last week chasing anything that was near the surface, was sure glad we weren't bottom fishing! i bet steve would drop his pots there though, yes that is 16,000 feet

May be true for those who are able to shrimp frequently, but for those who can't get out much I think 8 would be fine.

Default And some people

Fish with more than one family per boat (only one permit is allowed per boat though) so if you and a buddy who does not have a boat split the shrimp well 5 pots goes fast.

Your right on the money my friend !! Yup in a few years when the brains are all wondering what happened to all the shrimp we'll be able to blame the extra pots, long season and all those eggers we catch in the later part of the season being eaten. 5 pots is PLENTY and they should shorten the season a few weeks.
    By the way i heard some skuttlebut that there are already over 100 commercial permits drawn so i'm wondering how many pots per boat that is going to transfer to??? my guess less than 25 if that many???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Your right on the money my friend !! Yup in a few years when the brains are all wondering what happened to all the shrimp we'll be able to blame the extra pots, long season and all those eggers we catch in the later part of the season being eaten. 5 pots is PLENTY and they should shorten the season a few weeks.
    By the way i heard some skuttlebut that there are already over 100 commercial permits drawn so i'm wondering how many pots per boat that is going to transfer to??? my guess less than 25 if that many???
    I was in F&G yesterday and she was saying that the commercial limit was 100 pots per boat. Do you think they will regulate how many are allowed in the end based on how many permits are taken out?

I did some quick math and the 55,000 lbs. limit will go fast. Based on the potential for 5,000+/- pots being dumped, 55,000 pounds will go FAST! Assuming they can put that many in the water without a ton of tangles.. LOL

With 5 pots in three days on the opener I have pulled up to 60 gallons. That 150 - 200 lbs of shrimp.

She said after the trip you have to fax in your report on total pounds. What if everyone decides to go out for 5 days and say 100,000 pounds (pulled that from my butt) get pulled before they get all the counts in?

Seems like it is going to be hard to manage at first.

I think it is going to be a mad house opening weekend. But fear not, I WILL be right in the middle of it! LOL
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I was in F&G yesterday and she was saying that the commercial limit was 100 pots per boat. Do you think they will regulate how many are allowed in the end based on how many permits are taken out?

I did some quick math and the 55,000 lbs. limit will go fast. Based on the potential for 5,000+/- pots being dumped, 55,000 pounds will go FAST! Assuming they can put that many in the water without a ton of tangles.. LOL

With 5 pots in three days on the opener I have pulled up to 60 gallons. That 150 - 200 lbs of shrimp.

She said after the trip you have to fax in your report on total pounds. What if everyone decides to go out for 5 days and say 100,000 pounds (pulled that from my butt) get pulled before they get all the counts in?

Seems like it is going to be hard to manage at first.

I think it is going to be a mad house opening weekend. But fear not, I WILL be right in the middle of it! LOL
    I'm 99% sure the regs for the sound are set a 50 pots per boat and yes they are going to decide how many pots per boat by the number of permits issued. They might only open the fishing for a few days(36 or 48 hours??) to first see what the guys catch, then give them more time depending on the catch levels.
    If your going to be in the middle good luck when somebody sets gear over yours or visa versa, a cutfest for all !!! Hope you have a good hauler ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Pot Limit

My commerical card has a max of 60 PWS shrimp pot limit. That should change once the number of permit holders is determined. My guess is the openner will be about 36 hours. 15 April to 18 April.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'm 99% sure the regs for the sound are set a 50 pots per boat and yes they are going to decide how many pots per boat by the number of permits issued. They might only open the fishing for a few days(36 or 48 hours??) to first see what the guys catch, then give them more time depending on the catch levels.
    If your going to be in the middle good luck when somebody sets gear over yours or visa versa, a cutfest for all !!! Hope you have a good hauler ??
    LOL, Might have to go to one pot per line! Going to be interesting to pull up to the normal spots and see if there are buoys all over the place.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    You're wasting your time. There are no shrimp in PWS

This sounds like a prediction of the future after the commercial season opens......sad too by the way....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast