Thread: Whisker Biscuit

Default Whisker Biscuit

Looking for pro's and cons on the Whisker Biscuit. I am pondering the idea of putting one on my bow. I like the fact that the arrow is tucked in there and doesn't rattle around or come off the rest.

ASlo has anybody had problems paper tuning with it?

Thanks

We had a pretty good dicussion on this a couple months ago. Check it out!!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=1527

Default WB

Paper tuning with these things is a snap. No problems what so ever. I also don't feel you'd lose any accuracy with them, nor any real speed (<5 fps for sure). So it comes down to how you plan on hunting. If you plan on lots of spot and stalk hunts where you will need to clsoe the distance, then the containment the WB offers might be a good choice. If you're treestand or blind hunting, or even calling where the animals are coming to you then the Drop away might be your best bet.

One other note, If your new to archery and don't have a smooth draw or are pulling a little more weight than you can comfortably pull then the Drop-Aways will be a little tougher to get used to.

Both good rests, just a matter of preference.

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks guys..I will be doing spot and stalk. so this might be the way to go.

Default longer distance and fletching

This may sound stupid, as I'm a total rookie.

I heard something about whisker buiscuts and other arrow rests that are not drop but more of a containment all the way around where your arrow fletching can't have any spiral to them but have to be mounted straight so that they won't become torn up. The straight fletching would have an impact on your down range trajectory. Does that make any sense and is there any validity to it?

Default New Rest

There is a new rest out that Bill at Backcountry is high on. It's like a WB, but holds the arrow in place with three arms of whiskers, rather than the nearly complete circle. It apparently is secure like the WB, but doesn't have as much drag or effect on arrow flight.

Sorry I don't know the name, but I'm sure there's tons of info out there. A buddy just got one installed on a brand new bow he bought at Backcountry. Looks pretty sweet!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have Deluxe WB on my Mathews and the Original WB on my Hoyt. I really like them.

I shot the WB and love it. The first day sighting it in I had 2 Robin Hoods and one since then. I fletch my own with a helical and it doesn't seem to affect arrow flight at all. The contaiment factor is the best. The only problem I've heard with them is if they get wet then freeze your S.O.L. Something you may want to think about in AK.

Wink Bomb proof.

The WB seems to be a bomb proof type rest. And if your a bowhunter it's the type of equp. that you want. We paper tuned my buddies setup, pse triton, WB, and found it a snap. Great invention. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Whisker Biscuit

Had a deluxe WB on my bow for a couple years. The containment was great for hunting situations. Just load it and it was good to go if I had to shift positions. I liked how it also held the arrow nock snug on the string. Didn't seem to affect accuracy or speed.

What I didn't like about it was that it ate up fletchings. Every 30 or 40 shots I'd damage another, often just the front edge - both blazers & regular vanes. Shooting almost daily year round like I do, it got to be a pain to stay in good arrows. I heard suggestions that it must be because my bow was out of tune or some other issue, but that wasn't the case as far as I could tell. Also I'd have to replace the biscuit part a couple of times a year as the whiskers got frayed and seems like they were 15 or 20$ a whack. So all in all I give it good marks for hunting functionality but mediocre for a all around. I've also heard of problems with them freezing up in cold wet conditions but I never had that problem and it sounds like there is treatment you can use to prevent that.

I've now gone to a drop away and like that better. It's not full containment but solid once drawn. I also added a little rubber cradle to hold the arrow when the rest is down and that seems to be working well. Just a personal preference plus I like to fiddle with different widgets just because. Of course if my arrow falls off the rest when I'm stalking big daddy or the drop away malfunctions due to dust, I'll probably be going back to a biscuit. I still have a WB on the old backup bow just in case.

I wanted to put my $.02 in here. I shot a WB Deluxe for 3 years. I killed a moose with it and it shot wonderful. I took my bow down states to shoot a whitetail during Xmas vacation and had 3 deer look right at me when I drew. Apparently, they could hear the WB when I drew my bow back. I tried everything to get it quiet and nothing would work. I switched to a Trophytaker Pronghorn and have been really happy with it.

Thumbs up WB

I bought a Bowtech Solo extreme back in 2001, I had it rigged with the wb. I have taken 5 whitetail,2 pigs, a turkey and 2 moose since then with no issues. I haven't even cut a notch in it.

my two cents is I don't like it due to it tearing up mt fletching. Also it slows down you arrow. Not much but enought for me two where I need to readjust me breakpoint marks
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

they will mess up standard vanes, but my wife uses blazers with here and has no problem. She had no issues crawking on the ground with here bow in kaparuk this year

I use Blazer Vanes and I just put a little tab of glue on the leading edge of the vane and I've never had any problems. I shoot about 4 times a week from April until August no problems at all. As far as it slowing down your arrow I ran mine through a chrono and got anywhere from 305-310FPS out of it.......where I come from that's plenty fast. If your bows tuned properly it shouldn't be tearing up vanes at all.

camo gold tips are noisey when i draw and the black gt are not.????? i to had a WT spook when i drew and i knew it could not have seen me. other than that i really like them. 14 WT i shot this year did not seem to hear a thing. Texas feeder deer more spooky than Okla. farm deer with little pressure ????????? i shoot feathers and the wb does not seem to tear them up.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    camo gold tips are noisey when i draw and the black gt are not.????? i to had a WT spook when i drew and i knew it could not have seen me. other than that i really like them. 14 WT i shot this year did not seem to hear a thing. Texas feeder deer more spooky than Okla. farm deer with little pressure ????????? i shoot feathers and the wb does not seem to tear them up.

Wipe them down with furniture polish. This will clean them and seal the pours. This might help remove some of the fine dirt that can make an arrow noisy. Also the polish make the arrows slick. GT recomends to do this.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanx Gary I Will Give It A Try.....will Be An Easy Fix Thanx Again- Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER