Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the problems with single shots. as a hunting weapon

Default what is the problems with single shots. as a hunting weapon

Ok whats the problem with single shot rifles and hunting big game animals along as a heavy caliber big bore handgun is carried as a back up the rifle do not belive that is a best type of hunting useing all your skills and tactics of the hunt learned over the years of hunting to make that one single perfect shot to bring down the animal for the hunt and to feed your family ..

I have allways thought single shot rifle as the one true hunting weapon for you have the basic of one shot to make it count ..so it take skill and self control along a good source of tactics and time and pratices of the long stalk to make a clean kill on the animal that you are hunting ,..

that way bow hunters and handguns love that style of hunting for it about the stalk and the tactics of the hunt that you can make a shot that make the hunt ..

about sitting down on a side of a hill in the cold wet morning of the opening day and calling and bugleing along with waiting and watching for the perfect bull to come along with you getting in close as you can with all the skills and training of years hunting to make the perfect shot it the heart pumping thrill of knowing that you and the skills and rifle all can togerther for that one perfect moment in time to become one and make the shot ..

Default henry2

I see no problem unless its very dangerous game - then I might not be so apt to go the single shot route.
    I have taken almost 200 deer now and only one time have I shot a deer more than once. I do not take running shots, I hate to wound game as it really haunts me as I have lost deer with archery tackle, and I have no need to rush a shot at anything to justify in my mind it was "worth" it. I think bow hunting has taught me a lot about hunting and has made me a much better hunter which allows me perhaps to be choosier, better if you will.
    I have an Encore I really enjoy hunting with - can't tell you how many deer it has taken. One day when IL first allowed handguns I strapped on a 357 Python and the 50 cal Encore and took a dbl - had nine bucks in one bunch under me at one time - dumped one with the Python, grabbed the 50 and when one looked to see what the commotion was about he came home with us too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

my best friend hunted with a single shot his whole life, till he bought a BAR .300 win mag....he hunted with a 30-06 ruger number one for years, took deer, moose, blacks bears and griz, sheep and goats...then he got a tc encore prohunter in .300 win mag, and repeated history lol, but last year he opted to leave the bar at home and take the encore moose hunting...well you ask Kotton about that, it was my fault too.

Release Lake Trout

Default Xtra Barrel

I bought a SS 300 Wmag barrel for the Encore and have taken some game with that - the ergonomic design of the encore actually makes it recoil less in my view. I had a trigger job done on it and it is Very sweet - however when I put a hammer extension on it to clear the scopes it will not fire the 300 rounds reliably. Apparently they weaken/lighten the springs when doing the trigger on these? However, it works just fine on shotgun primers when using the 50 cal black powder set up.
    If I was to hunt dangerous game I would def want an ejector set up also - the extractor set ups on most guns would leave you in a bad bad way in a pinch...
    Amigo - if your viewing, I think you have some Ruger singles - are they not ejector's? If so how good do they pitch an empty out?
    Randy

i love the stalk part of the hunt for me it like putting my skills as a hunter againest the animal skills and we see you comes out the winner ..

i allways told me friends who think this is weird part for them ..i tell that iam in my chapel my house of worship and i enjoy that part of the place when it raining and your wet and tired and your ready to call a day when over the next hill top your hear bugle of a elk calling out to be heard in the silence of the outdoors and that gets my heart pumping and the whole thing comes down to testing my skills for now it a test between me and the animal to see who walks a way a winner ..i know that stange but to me it better than any known drug in the world ..

i tried to tell people that the world is a really beautifull place when the world comes a wake in the great outdoors with no one around for miles and the way the world comes alive .. ..

Default henry2

That my friend , is the difference between a "hunter", and "killer"!
    I would venture a bet that most of the viewers on here could go home empty handed and feel good - maybe dissapointed , but still fulfilled for its the hunt we truly seek!
    After 53 years on this earth I still have the same restless nights sleep before an opening day, still have the intense feeling as the darkness gives way to a new dawn - wondering what will appear.
    Hard to describe what we feel to non hunters isn't it!
    Archery hunting seems to take it to the ultimate level for sure, first time I had a bull elk I called in literally breathing down on me I was shaking so bad I was hyperventilating! I called it in for my partner and he was 15 yards away and he was so overcome with "elk fever" he couldn't and didn't even draw his bow!
    My church is mountain tops and rivers and lakes as well henry....

Default there is nothing wrong with it

There is nothing wrong with single shot I think every hunter wants a good one shot clean kill but sometimes that doesn't happen that way I like a good bolt action holds 3 plus one in the pipe I have never missed......yet but I couldn't imagine having gutshot animal get away so I feel comfortable having a little back up I don't think you should be hunting with a tommy gun but having 4 in you rifle isn't bad but its a free country and if you are comfortable shooting single shot more power to ya just my opinion

Well the thread asks what is the potential problems with hunting with a single shot rifle, well follow up shots are the problem. A hunter should always do his/her best to make a first shot count, if somone needs a single shot to gain that mentality i just dont get it.

Default One shot, one kill ---assuming you don't miss!

[QUOTE=henry2;694514]Ok whats the problem with single shot rifles and hunting big game animals

The answer is "You can't miss!". Seriously, I never thought I would ever entertain the idea of hunting with a single shot rifle if I owned a capable bolt gun for whatever game I was after, but.... Now that I have gotten into muzzleloading and gotten bitten by that bug too, I see how it could be challenging, entertaining, and rewarding to hunt with a single shot centerfire.

Personally, at least at this juncture in life, I would only use a single shot anything for meat hunting. If a trophy animal is a possibility on the hunt I am honest with myself and need quick follow up if necessary. For a once in a lifetime chance at whatever the game may be, I want the extra insurance and moral support a few in the mag give versus only one up the pipe!

Archery, muzzleloading, and hunting with a single shot rifle, pistol hunting, etc. do give you a different perspective when you have to make that decision in milliseconds that seem like a lifetime. What I mean is when you see the animal and your brain is saying "Do I shoot now, will it move closer or better angle, is it going to get behind that cover, shoot, no wait, shoot, hold on, calm down, --- now add to that: "buddy you only got one shot, make it count!"

What's not to like, that's hunting!

i tell ya forum member Kotton can almost outshoot me (maybe he can sometimes) with a single shot while Im shooting my 98 mauser bolt.... guess that what happens when you get experience like that. I dont mind shooting a single, but i feel much more confortable and confident with my bolt actions.

Last fall on our moose hunt....2nd morning i think it was....we were crusin down the road in Kottons truck with the sun directly behind us.....as we round a bend onto a long straightaway, a moose busts out of the brush and starts trottin up the road away from us...his antlers WERE HUGE! well he dashed off into an old brush clearing trail, the truck stops, and Kotton and Ray both hop out, so Jon and I make no effort to get on it since we figured we wouldnt get a chance at him anyway and that the other guys would take care of it....We hear the shot from inside the truck....just one....so okay they got him, great. Ray comes screamin up the trail askin for bullets, then we all got out and followed him back to the clearing where the scene went down. Turns out Ray didnt grab a rifle, and Kotton only grabbed 1, yes 1, bullet. We never got the moose. So it was all our faults. kotton ended up takin a smaller 40incher (any bull area) the 4th morning. Im gettin out of the truck from now on!

Release Lake Trout

RMK

Default I did it for small game for years

My first rifle (and I still have it) was a .22 caliber single shot. I think my dad got it with the idea no matter how bad I screwed up, I could only shoot him once without reloading.

I used it for years for small game. I never owned a single shot for larger game, but the theory is the same. Outside of a bear or a bison, I would consider a single shot rifle. It makes the stalk, and the shot all that more important.

Those bison are just hard to kill even with a big bore rifle. And bear hunting speaks for itself.

that like the old joke about takeing your wife hunting ..my wife and i had worked out a deal with a local guide service when i was in the military training in the Montana back country area and some down time and she and i wanted to try to find a guide elk hunt in the area .the company who we tried at first said that they where booked up and could take us intill next year.. the person called around and found a company that had a couple of no shows because of the weather could take if we helped with the camp chores and other things around the camp along with half the guide hunt fee for both of us and it worked out great..

my guide name was ron and he was pretty all around good guy and a great guide .. so he gets me and her set up and for me and my wife had never been on a real guided hunt before so we both a, little scared of not trying to looking stupid in front of the guide along with not doing anything that would get us hurt when out in the backcountry and trying semi know what the heck to do in this type of hunt . my wife had her first deer hunt last year and she had just gotten her reworked ruger n1 rifle last year and she was ready to try elk hunting ....

so he gets us into prostion and he starts to call about 10 seconds of the first call ..here comes a bull bugle right behind us and just over the ridge line where we are at and it comes at full speed to see who is in his area and they need to get out of the area now ..my wife had the good mind to move a little off the side of the area so she could get a better view of the area and she hunted one time before and knew she had a clear front area in front of her if she had to take the shot and not shot anyone and she let him pass us and with a slow count of 5 she took the shot and droped him right there ..

i was setting there looking like hey what just happened ..ron was laughing for he told me that it normaly the one person who thinks that they are going to get a shot at the animal is the one who walks a way with the bull ..i had to dishs in the house for a month for the little bet we had ..

but she was a trooper after helping with the skinning out and getting the pack horse ready to pack out the meat ..she cleans her hands and make us a new stew for supper that night ..ron ask her if she like to come along and cook for the guide hunt ..i told if she comes i come but uncle sam would not let me go for another 3 years i had on conract ..i would if i could gotten out of the conract would i have made as a guide..

Singles and SxS are all I have for rifles and shotguns except for my old Nylon 66. I have never shot a big game animal more than once and I have never lost one,heck never had one get out of sight which ain't bad for SE.I also have never shot anything over a hundred yards and used plenty of gun which helps. The Ruger #1&3 eject with vigor. Some bolt men can probably reload quicker than me but many can't. You see the pros on TV all the time studer stroking their bolt guns

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    i tell ya forum member Kotton can almost outshoot me (maybe he can sometimes) with a single shot while Im shooting my 98 mauser bolt.... guess that what happens when you get experience like that. I dont mind shooting a single, but i feel much more confortable and confident with my bolt actions.

Last fall on our moose hunt....2nd morning i think it was....we were crusin down the road in Kottons truck with the sun directly behind us.....as we round a bend onto a long straightaway, a moose busts out of the brush and starts trottin up the road away from us...his antlers WERE HUGE! well he dashed off into an old brush clearing trail, the truck stops, and Kotton and Ray both hop out, so Jon and I make no effort to get on it since we figured we wouldnt get a chance at him anyway and that the other guys would take care of it....We hear the shot from inside the truck....just one....so okay they got him, great. Ray comes screamin up the trail askin for bullets, then we all got out and followed him back to the clearing where the scene went down. Turns out Ray didnt grab a rifle, and Kotton only grabbed 1, yes 1, bullet. We never got the moose. So it was all our faults. kotton ended up takin a smaller 40incher (any bull area) the 4th morning. Im gettin out of the truck from now on!
    well you left out the part we were driving into hunting area therefore was not prepared for a moose to run across the road and that me and ray ran at a full run for more than ten minutes through the trees,while only ten days earlyer hurt my ankle and was in a walking boot,then took the offhanded shot breathing heavly at a walking moose and cleanly missed then watching him under 75 yrds run across the field broadside bust through the trees,giving me many chances for a follow up shot with no ammo.That was not the singleshots fault,HUNTER ERROR.

That was the only time my gun let me down.The only reason I shoot a single shot was I am left-handed shooter and used to shooting dads guns wich were all right-handed bolts and autos,finaly he bought me a ruger #1 30-06 and fell in love with single shots from there.I have 3 #1's but recently bought the encore pro hunter.Whith the #1 i can shoot just as fast as a bolt just as long as I keep the ejector clean but the encore you have to hand eject the shells but if you dont miss you wont have to worry about it much,unless a Grizz charges that might be a little hairy!I have taken alot of game with them and feel confident walking in the woods with one,Just bought a auto last spring and hunted with for the year{exept once} but think I am going back to the old 06 for a couple hunts this season.

you are right i forgot to mention those parts. HUNTER ERROR is a good term for that.

Release Lake Trout

Kotton and Hunt&Fishak..tell me the truth that after haveing the i could have a v8 moment ..did you make sure you had extra ammo on the rifle stock just to make sure you had extra ammo with you before going on the next hunt..not knocking you ..it just that everyone who hunts had at one time or another a v8 moment when hunting ..my was forgetting to load my rifle on a deer hunt and hearing a click instead of a bang

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    Kotton and Hunt&Fishak..tell me the truth that after haveing the i could have a v8 moment ..did you make sure you had extra ammo on the rifle stock just to make sure you had extra ammo with you before going on the next hunt..not knocking you ..it just that everyone who hunts had at one time or another a v8 moment when hunting ..my was forgetting to load my rifle on a deer hunt and hearing a click instead of a bang
    That was the only time I ever not had my stock ammo holder and never forget it again,And yes it was a V8 moment for sure lol.I have had a couple click moments this spring whith the new BAR, when you load first shell it has a second saftie so you have to push the lever foward a quater inch after inital load took some time geting used to

my wife v8 moment was middle of a west texas hog hunt and she forget to bring the ammo for the rifle and the pistol..my dad told her to get into the truck and bring back a lot of ammo along with some food and water for we are going to be out here a while running down the wild hog herds that where tearing up the ranch and farm lands in the area..a bunch of the farm and ranchs would banded togerther to try and clean out a section of all the hogs we find in the area ..

we killed over a 60 hogs that day and we still did not thin out as much as we like ..we had the hogs butched by a local meat packing company and the meat was given to the local food banks as part of the deal ..

people have no idea how much damage a wild hog does to farm and ranch land and a herd can tear up allmost a square 1 mile of land all in one day with the way they go through a area doin damage to the cattle and the eco system by over eating in the area..

i must of went through about 150.rds that day alone for the rifle and 50 rds for the pistol ..down on some of the west Texas river bottom lands that borders the Rio Grande river area they are tearing up about a million dollars a day in farms and ranch land ..

we would go and help with the thinning of the herds ..at one point we where inside the bush county along the some of the little off shots in the river valley area ..useing pistol and revolvers to kill them in the thickets at times at ranges up to 25 yards away ....

this was the one part of ranching and farming i never liked for this was whole sale killing on a scale that had to be done to protect the land and the cattle that we ran on the land ..

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I bought a SS 300 Wmag barrel for the Encore and have taken some game with that - the ergonomic design of the encore actually makes it recoil less in my view. I had a trigger job done on it and it is Very sweet - however when I put a hammer extension on it to clear the scopes it will not fire the 300 rounds reliably. Apparently they weaken/lighten the springs when doing the trigger on these? However, it works just fine on shotgun primers when using the 50 cal black powder set up.
    If I was to hunt dangerous game I would def want an ejector set up also - the extractor set ups on most guns would leave you in a bad bad way in a pinch...
    Amigo - if your viewing, I think you have some Ruger singles - are they not ejector's? If so how good do they pitch an empty out?
    Randy
    I installed a new hammer spring on my Encore from Mike Bellem (www.bellmtcs.com) along with the aluminum hammer extension. I have not had a misfire in hundreds of shots.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default MNViking

Hmmm, I sent my Encore in to E Arthur Brown Co to have the trigger job done maybe 8 or 10 years ago. Trigger is sweet, with the hammer extension added it is not reliable on the rifle primers. I have talked to others that had the same problem. Not sure what Brown did or if it had nothing to do with what they did, not badmouthing their work for sure.
    Appreciate the input.
    Mine will fire one or two fine, but if I was to sit down and work up some loads it would get "tired" after maybe 3 or 4 firings in short order.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast