Thread: Bear bait questions

Default Bear bait questions

I normally use just doughnuts for baiting, but I thought I would ask if anyone has ever used grain smothered w/ molasses, syrup or sugar? If so, what were your results?

I'm sure anything covered with syrup or molasses would work fine. The best thing/most widely used is cheap dog food covered with syrup, grease, whatever. It lasts a lot longer than just donuts..
    Results with the above have always been excellent.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Thumbs up

I have a recipe called the "Bear Buzz", and off of memory, I believe this is it. Grain, mollasses, 5# bag of sugar and hops all mixed together. It's sweet, it's small so they can't take off with big chunks, and when it sits and ferments for a bit, they just seem to stick around longer....Hmmmm...
    I'll double check when I get off of the slope to reconfirm. I used it for a few years and it worked pretty slick.
    Of course the ole doughnuts and bread work good, just keep it dry.
    Take a 5 gallon bucket with rotten eggs in it and pour it near the bait too. They love it. No need to clean the dirt up after the season, they eat the dirt it's poured on. It's cool.

i wonder if BEER would work? just leave a bucket or barrell full of beer.....oh wait no...that would alcohol abuse, and it would probly never make it to the site anyways

Release Lake Trout

or worse yet, youd be likely to bait more people than bears lol

Release Lake Trout

Bears go crazy over molasses. I just poor the stuff all over my bait and leave the jug there. They will eat the jug to get it all off the inside. I really like to do molasses burns.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Hunt&FishAK

That Beer your talking about, I don't think that falls under "Fair Chase" BUT if you and your pals use it to get up the cajones to shoot the Bear, i then think it would be legal. LOL

I'm thinking stay with the sweet things, the deep fry greese seems to attract the brown bears, even though there aren't any on the Kenai peninsula

Another thing I would recommend is keep all bait in the barrel, don't make a pile on the ground. Brown bears will come by every night and eat every scrap of it. But they get burned out if it's in a barrel.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Another thing I would recommend is keep all bait in the barrel, don't make a pile on the ground. Brown bears will come by every night and eat every scrap of it. But they get burned out if it's in a barrel.
    They don't get burned out too fast!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beaver, castor or carcass.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    I normally use just doughnuts for baiting, but I thought I would ask if anyone has ever used grain smothered w/ molasses, syrup or sugar? If so, what were your results?
    A lot of folks use a combination refered to as "Sweet Feed" that you can buy at the feed store. Already has mollasses mixed in.
    "Three Way" feed is usually Corn, Oats, & Barley (COB) mixed together & you can usually get it with or without mollasses.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default COB

I use the COB mentioned above and throw in a 5# bag of confection sugar, and two bottles of cheep maple syrup. My barrel smells like a Waffle House. I just sit in the tree with my mouth watering. AK Mill and Feed in Anchorage has the COB if you are looking for a place.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams