Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So whos actually hunted in their Alpackas?

Default So whos actually hunted in their Alpackas?

Just picked up my brand spankin new Red stretch llama. Pretty nifty little item.
    Like others, one of the uses its going to be put to is Sheep hunting trips. Anyone actually used theirs hunting? How shallow a creek were you able to float while loaded? Any tips and tricks you came up with (the hard way)?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

i could see doing some bird hunting. hard to keep a rifle dry i would think.

Depends on the water, I havnt had trouble keeping the rifle dry on flat water. I've used mine unsuccessfully for goat but have floated 60+ lbs plus me, 195, on a Llama. Probably needed 5" to float that. Made three trips to try and fill that goat tag.

Others here have had considerably heavier loads, I imagine the boats response to paddle strokes is very poor with game on board.

Well I have half hearted bear hunted with mine (didn't get anything) but have had upwards of 75 pounds on my packraft without issues. Sure lateral movement in the creek is diminished somewhat due to the extra weight. However the benefit of having weight in the bow is bow swing from each paddle stroke is MUCH less. My wife and I plan on a 7-10 day sheep hunt in the AK range this fall using them in addition to a couple 100+ mile treks this summer as well.

Here is so motivation for those planning on sheep hunting with their packrafts.

I haven't done it yet, but here's a friend of mine:

I've got hopes for a black bear hunt this year, but with a kid on the way I haven't made firm plans yet.

Wow nice photos! Looks like they work good.

Default Oh, okay-

Sheesh... you guys are NUTS!

I like your style.

:-)

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Well I have half hearted bear hunted with mine (didn't get anything) but have had upwards of 75 pounds on my packraft without issues. Sure lateral movement in the creek is diminished somewhat due to the extra weight. However the benefit of having weight in the bow is bow swing from each paddle stroke is MUCH less. My wife and I plan on a 7-10 day sheep hunt in the AK range this fall using them in addition to a couple 100+ mile treks this summer as well.

That's an impressive picture!
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Great stuff!!
    Which model are you paddling, Llama?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Just for clarification that is NOT me in the pic (though I hope to have a similar one this fall). But yeah I run a spray decked llama.

Over here in the Yukon, I have tried to convince people of the potential of these things, and they look at you like you are on crack. Its maddening I tell ya! Most guys here don't want to Sheep hunt if they can't get 90% of the way there on their ATV What happened to the adventure part?
    Anyway, I'm preaching to the converted.
    Can't wait for summer!!
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Over here in the Yukon, I have tried to convince people of the potential of these things, and they look at you like you are on crack.
    I get something like that, even in London!

Everything's going well, they see the potential, love the boat, the weight etc.

Then they ask the price...

Quote Originally Posted by AeroNautiCal View Post
    I get something like that, even in London!

Everything's going well, they see the potential, love the boat, the weight etc.

Then they ask the price...
    You could use them for Sheep hunting in the Cotswolds
    Crazy people complaining about the price, a good pair of trekking boots is half that much (raft only)
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default inner-tube with a net

I have used 2 inner tubes (truck) tied them together along with a net and tied them to my alpacka without "too much problems" in packing a moose across a river, but it wasn't fun. All in all, each load was about 250lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewoods View Post
    I have used 2 inner tubes (truck) tied them together along with a net and tied them to my alpacka without "too much problems" in packing a moose across a river, but it wasn't fun. All in all, each load was about 250lbs.
    Should have got the moose to swim across, then shot it!

Just for clarification that is NOT me in the pic (though I hope to have a similar one this fall). But yeah I run a spray decked llama.
    Who, when, where is that pic from? The skull looks pretty clean for coming out of the mountains from a hunt doesn't it? Is it a pic of a guy on a real hunt or a staged promo pic? Not accusing, just wondering.

No idea if it is staged or not, but yeah it does look pretty clean. Anyways, I dug that pic from somewhere of the alpacka packraft website I believe. Pretty cool pic. I believe the caption stated it was taken on a hunt in the Brooks Range.

Default hunting pack-raft

FEATHERCRAFT Makes a really nice light boat for hunting. Fabric twice as thick, one lb. frame, 8.5 feet long, and break down WERNER oars all under 20 lbs. Or you can just use a 230cm paddle and keep her at about 14 lbs.
    Called the BAYLEE III.
    Goo
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com

Default Brian's photo's caribou looks fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Who, when, where is that pic from? The skull looks pretty clean for coming out of the mountains from a hunt doesn't it? Is it a pic of a guy on a real hunt or a staged promo pic? Not accusing, just wondering.
    I saw that and wonder too. The picture Brian posted looked like some nice pretty velvet; I'm betting that one is newly departed.

I have to agree with Mike S.; you guys are nuts and I like your style too. Nonetheless I'll stick with my big canoe; I can take some pretty big water on with that and still feel safe, with still a margin left over for error.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I saw that and wonder too. The picture Brian posted looked like some nice pretty velvet; I'm betting that one is newly departed.

I have to agree with Mike S.; you guys are nuts and I like your style too. Nonetheless I'll stick with my big canoe; I can take some pretty big water on with that and still feel safe, with still a margin left over for error.
    I dont know man. I would much rather float sketchy river runs (Class III or less) in a packraft than a canoe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast