Thread: Opinions on the 375 RUM

Default Opinions on the 375 RUM

I am currently in the process of ordering and purchasing a 375 RUM in the Remington model 700 XCR. I am currious to see what others think of this cartridge and rifle. THANKS!

The 375 rem ultra mag,well what can i say its a beefy 375 H&H basicly
    If you can handle it well,and shoot it straight go for it

Default Nice gun!

That rifle is a ass kicker.. I bought a .378 Weatherby Mag and it is also a mule, so I put a muzzle break on it and it is fine now, somewere in the 300 range as far as kick goes. But I only feel it at the range. I never feeel it when I am hunting.
    Have fun.

never been a fan of the ultra anythings...you need to pick your bullets right, all the orignal styles weren't designed for those speeds. i've seen some really poor penentration from the ultra mags, try to shoot something like a barnesX to get the full potential from your new gun. any lead tip stuff will open way to fast in some cases and you'll loose out alot on what you've got your hands around. Specially if what you shoot happens to be wet or you hit bones first.
    I like to shoot a gun thta i don't have to worry about that, so i stick with standard speed, 300fps has never seem to make any difference with the animals. slower guns that keep bullets together actually penentrate a little better, more consistant anyway.
    bullets kill, but speed sells.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default 270 Barnes X

I shoot 270 grain barnes X and they seem to hols together pretty well.

If you need that more power over the standard 375H&H you are better jumping up to the .416 Rem Mag with the increase of bullet weight to 400 grains in my opinion.
    Enjoy it none the less and happy shooting.
    Tennessee

Default 700 xcr

I just got a 375 H&H in the Model 700 xcr. I love it so far. It's light and well balanced, and shoots good with open sights. The down side of course is the recoil. I've only shot my 270 grainers out of so far, I'm sure the 300s will kick a bit more, but I plan on handloading some slow loads for it so that should settle it down some.
    I don't know much about the 375 Ultra mag., but what little I've come to know about the xcr I like it a lot.

Wink

Just got a Remington XCR 375 RUM for Christmas. The first time I fired it my wig fell off, and I chipped two front teeth. I still have trouble with my eyes they keep crossing when I close them! All kidding aside, I have not fired it yet, but am assembling the brass, bullets powder ect. to load my own. You have to be rich to stock up with factory ammo. I've found that some componets are hard to come by ,( BRASS ) not so with the 375 h&h, something to consider. It might be wise to use premium bullets with the pumped up vel .it achieves. Your right in feeling that the XCR 375 RUM feels light, I would not mind a little more rifle weight in that cal. myself. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default 375 rum

I've owned and hunted with one for 5 years now. It is an AWESOME rifle. I have never had to shoot anything more than once! I load the 270 barnes triple shocks. Awesome penetration and killing power. Get it muzzle breaked! It is the most accurate rifle I have shot. Last shooting at the range was at 100 yards and all 4 bullets were touching.

Default .270 grain bullets

Whatever you do, don't load and hunt dangerous game with Hornady 270 grainers!!!!!! They are brittle, and I had one explode on the shoulder of a brown bear a few years ago when I hit it with a .375 H&H Magnum. Not a situation I would recommend for anyone. Go with good quality and well constructed bullets, such as the 300 grain Nosler Partition, Barnes, etc.

After that encounter, I only load and shoot Partitions. Can't go wrong. The Ultra Mag is in the same excellent class, but a step above the H&H.

The recoil is fierce regardless of the weight of the bullets. Use a sissy pad or lead sled at the range, but shoot it until you are confident with it. As Mtcop said, you won't feel the recoil when actually shooting an animal.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Smile

Thanks for the insight, I suppose that this should be an adequate caliber for squirrel and rabbit, and slightly larger quarry with proper shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ... 300fps has never seem to make any difference with the animals. slower guns that keep bullets together actually penentrate a little better, more consistant anyway.
    bullets kill, but speed sells.
    I found that out first hand. A few years ago I started hunting deer with a 300 Win Mag because my hunting buddies at the time were hunting with 300 magnums, mostly Weatherbys and I wanted to experience magnum rifle power. I found that unless you are shooting game at beyond 150 yards, the extra energy will not matter and might actually be a detriment when the bullet blows through the animal and the energy is wasted. My .30-30 and .44 Mag drop deer much faster than my .300 Win Mag or my buddy's 300 Weatherby and I'm going back to those calibers for deer hunting and saving the magnum for bigger game.

I think if you are shooting very large animals at long range, the ultramags are in their glory. Otherwise, you could probably do better with the tried and true .375 H&H. At any rate, I hope you will enjoy the rifle and the power it offers.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag_300 View Post
    I found that out first hand. A few years ago I started hunting deer with a 300 Win Mag because my hunting buddies at the time were hunting with 300 magnums, mostly Weatherbys and I wanted to experience magnum rifle power. I found that unless you are shooting game at beyond 150 yards, the extra energy will not matter and might actually be a detriment when the bullet blows through the animal and the energy is wasted. My .30-30 and .44 Mag drop deer much faster than my .300 Win Mag or my buddy's 300 Weatherby and I'm going back to those calibers for deer hunting and saving the magnum for bigger game.

I think if you are shooting very large animals at long range, the ultramags are in their glory. Otherwise, you could probably do better with the tried and true .375 H&H. At any rate, I hope you will enjoy the rifle and the power it offers.
    I have hunted with my trusty old 30-06 for 17 years now on whitetail and purchased a 7mm-08 this past year, and guess which one I used this past season.... Yes, the 30-06. However I did to drop to 165 gr bullets due to blow through I was getting out of the 180 gr bullets. But this is not a cause to stop using my favorite rifle.

Like most other red, white and blue americans, BIGGER is Better!!

Default 375 comparison

I just bought a new XCR in 375 H&H and it is a pretty sweet gun. Recoil is pretty stout in such a light rifle but bearable. I have had the 300 RUM in remingtons before and I prefer the way the 375 H&H feeds throughe the action as compared to the RUM's. The RUM's feed good enoughe most of the time but when hunting the big stuff I would prefer something that feeds good all of the time.

I just picked up the new rifle this weekend, Now I have to decide which scope to put on it. I can't wait to put a few rounds down range!!!

Default 375 Rum

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney86 View Post
    I am currently in the process of ordering and purchasing a 375 RUM in the Remington model 700 XCR. I am currious to see what others think of this cartridge and rifle. THANKS!

Stoney86:

I acquired a 375 RUM in a M700 BDL SS (Used), and can't say enough about it's accuracy and hitting power. As a large bear rifle, the .375 RUM is probably one of the better calibers available. Characteristics of this caliber could classified as: extremely accurate, hard hitting, good for distance shooting, and having reasonable recoil considering other medium-big bore options.

The only suggestion would be - reload for it. You can improve, believe it or not, the ballistics substantially.

Joe

I was wondering if you had any experience with the 260gr partitions in your 375? Thx

If you use an elite cartridge then use an elite bullet.

The barnes X's are meant for the 375 RUM.

When I had a 375 RUM I loaded 260 grain Groove bullets in it. They are a solid copper design that is out of business I believe.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".