Thread: Single Six problem

Default Single Six problem

Today I was out shooting my single six when it locked up. The cylinder latch would not release (drop down) as the hammer was being cocked.

When I got home I tore it apart and found that the trigger plunger that pivots the cylinder latch was broken. Half of it fell out when disassembling. Brownell's is 15 minutes away and I needed to go there anyway so picked up a new plunger while there. I reassembled the gun with the new plunger in place only now the hammer will only drop 1/2 way when fired. I took it apart again and could see no reason for this. Then I got to wondering if these plungers come over length and have to be fitted on an individual bases. I can not find the piece that broke off or I would just match the two broken pieces together and compare them in length to the new one.

Any ideas?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

no... nothing comes "oversised" as far as I know. did your single six have the hammer block stafety or is it an old pre-safety model (three screw)?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

There are two lengths of plungers, sounds like you've got the long one where a short one would be correct.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Unhappy Don't most revolver parts need fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    no... nothing comes "oversised" as far as I know. did your single six have the hammer block stafety or is it an old pre-safety model (three screw)?
    I dunno about "oversized", but some revolver parts have to be fitted, for timing purposes. I broke a locking bolt in a Colt SA Army one time ago, and it had to be sent back to Colt, after a so-called Gunsmith, (who claimed he cut his teeth on SAs) failed to get it working, and also, caused a huge mark around the cylinder.

Later, I hadda replace another part, ???and managed to fit it myself, but it did require fitting to get it to work properly.

I once replaced the Trigger in an older Ruger SS without a problem, but I had to polish the working surface.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

There are two plungers in the single six that I know of one in the Grip frame that pushes the latch up and one in the frame it self that pushes the ratchet forward. I assume it is the first one you are referring to. I too broke one of these they seem to be very hard (overly hard given there use) and rather brittle. Though in my case I broke mine in due to my own stupidity. It locked up similar to yours. I got a new plunger from Midway and it installed and worked fine.

I just pulled mine apart and the plunger for the latch measures .376" long by .124" OD, spring is .50" uncompressed. The plunger for the ratchet measures .316" long, .238" to the shoulder that the spring rest on, by .109" diameter, spring is .57" uncompressed.

Edit: All this is for a new model with the transfer bar.

This is a new model made in 1976. In my original post I called it a trigger plunger its in the bottom of the hammer and the manual calls it a hammer plunger. It acts just like it is to long. Back to Brownells......Thanks guys!