Thread: Woodstove in Garage

Default Woodstove in Garage

Our garage has in-floor heating using a propane boiler. It is a weekend only place for us and while we keep the temp at 40 F, it is still better than ambient plus it lets us keep the water running all winter.

With propane approaching $5/gal these days, however, it is getting hard to justify the cost for a couple of weekends a month. Next winter I am thinking of blowing down the water lines and making sure the heating system is adequately freeze protected and just letting it freeze.

The other thing I am considering is installing the old Earthstove we pulled out of the cabin this winter when we installed a Blaze King. I know that installing wood stoves in garages is not a generally accepted practice but I know that it is done. We do not store fuel inside but do park the 4 wheelers, snow machines and the old MG inside in the winter. I am not sure if this isn't too much different from our garage at home - both the natural gas fire burner and the water heater are in the garage.

My wife thinks this isn't a good idea but I think it is manageable - what do you guys think?

Thumbs up

Absolutely. That is how I do it. As far as parking toys in the garage, I always turn the fuel valves to the off position on each and every one of them. I had an ATV carb start pouring gas out the overflow vent one time, after it being in the same spot for three months without leaking a drop. Keep it clean and tidy, just like in the house.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

You will not have any problems if you install the stove 18'' off the floor, that is NFPA code. Anything that has a flame has to be installed a min of 18'' off the floor because combustable are heavier than air and will settle to the floor.
    Events do happen like leaking gas or paint, oily rags even in a neat garage.

Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Build a stove with a water jacket and hook it up to the in floor heat. Put RV anti-freeze in the tubes. You might want to do the anti-freeze anyway, just in case the water doesnt all come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Absolutely. That is how I do it. As far as parking toys in the garage, I always turn the fuel valves to the off position on each and every one of them. I had an ATV carb start pouring gas out the overflow vent one time, after it being in the same spot for three months without leaking a drop. Keep it clean and tidy, just like in the house.

....yep, that's what we do........

-We pretty much live in the garage...it's the same dimensions as the house....(finished garage)
    -we put the woodstove in 4 years ago; and yep, as Sweepint said, up off the floor-

-makes such a difference in the fuel oil bill!

-We do everything in the garage....-big family dinners, homeschooling,reloading, skull boiling and mounting; skinning pelts from the line;grinding and packaging meat.....it houses the extra refrig., deepfreezers,propane range (for deep-frying, so it doesn't get in the house) ATV and snowmachine,the Harley he's working on, and Turdy and Dirty (our Red-Eared Slider turtles)

-it's great to be able to sit quiet by the fire at the end of the day....

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....