Thread: Felt sole ban goes statewide in 2012

Default Felt sole ban goes statewide in 2012

Posted this in the flyfishing forum, but figured folks here might want to know as well.

Couldn't find anything on it at the ADF&G website, but looks like felt-soled wading boots will be banned statewide as of Jan 1, 2012. The already announced SE ban will be postponed a year for consistency.

Read all about it here.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks for the post, I guess it's a good heads up since I'm in the market for a new set this year.

I was actually going out to buy a new set tomorrow! Good thing I checked out the forum first...what are the alternatives? I've only use the neoprene rubber boot chesties. Same ones I use for duck hunting. I'm sick of slipping on the rocks, need something new
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I was actually going out to buy a new set tomorrow! Good thing I checked out the forum first...what are the alternatives? I've only use the neoprene rubber boot chesties. Same ones I use for duck hunting. I'm sick of slipping on the rocks, need something new
    Get a set of Simms with studs they stick like glue to even the slimyest rocks. Simms doesn't even sell felt soled waders anymore because of the VHS and Whirling Disease issues associated with them.
    My Simms are by far the most comfortable waders I have ever owned and I will buy Simms again when I finally wera this pair out.

Default retrofit

Any ideas on removing the felt and installing a new sole?

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Heard this morning on the radio about the ban, so guess that's what it is.

This was an issue brought up at the AC meeting a couple weeks back in Palmer. They voted against getting rid of felt soles, but I haven't heard anything else about it being banned.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Angry BoF says goodbye to felt

According to the Anchorage Daily Fishwrap, looks like it was voted on and approved in Anchorage last Friday (6-0 vote). It will just apply to us fishermen however.
    http://www.adn.com/2010/03/22/119510...fishermen.html

Only ban is for those wearing boots with felt while fishing? You mean that you can still wear boots with felt while bird watching, hunting, taking pictures or whatever but just not while fishing? Those making felt boots are already switching to other material but maybe this was a way of making sure the wader companies continue to follow this path.

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Any ideas on removing the felt and installing a new sole?

-hiker
    This was mentioned in a thread the other day on the flyfishing forum. Someone posted the link to Simms cobblers that will do the job. Many others could of course as well. I was curious about Simms as that is what I bought recently. This info is on the Simms website as well. Check out the wading boots section. I suspect many folks will be getting Vibram soles on their current felt soled boots.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

How about simms or vibram selling replacement soles so we can use local shoe repair?

How about some cheaper alternatives?

I for one don't want to fork up $100+ for wading boots, and using old sneekers isn't going to cut it.
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    This was mentioned in a thread the other day on the flyfishing forum. Someone posted the link to Simms cobblers that will do the job. Many others could of course as well. I was curious about Simms as that is what I bought recently. This info is on the Simms website as well. Check out the wading boots section. I suspect many folks will be getting Vibram soles on their current felt soled boots.

Here is the thread I was talking about. Post #38 is the link with Simms cobblers for anyone interested...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54910

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Get a set of Simms with studs they stick like glue to even the slimyest rocks. Simms doesn't even sell felt soled waders anymore because of the VHS and Whirling Disease issues associated with them.
    My Simms are by far the most comfortable waders I have ever owned and I will buy Simms again when I finally wera this pair out.
    Actually I just looked at the Simms site and they still sell several different models of felt boots.

What model do you have that sticks like glue? I am in the market for some new ones as well. I am currently using the Guide felt with studs model and love them. They have just been worn down to the point they must be replaced.

Default informed a little late

Just returned home from a long fishing trip and the excitement around the house is the New Cabelas box by the fireplace and the oldest boy is showing Dad his "New Waders"
    Mom and the boys got online and ordered some for the summer and are all locked in on using these asap,
    of course, I notice they are Felt Soled, and vaguely remember a post somewhere with title of "Felt Sole Waders Banned"

So we're informed a bit late on this one, (I'm not a sport fisherman so was not aware of this issue at all)
    Sure do appreciate this Forum though, can hardly believe all the info available here on this issue,

So, any ideas,
    try to send them back (risking big disappointment with delay)
    would Cabelas take them on this State Ban issue?
    Figure out how to resole them by end of 2011?
    Honestly he won't be using them anywhere else but Kodiak Island in the time prior to ban taking place so,.....

What do you guys think, Thanks for your input
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default BIG waders

I have been shopping around for new waders. I liked the feel of the Simms gortex wader (I tried on some stocking foots) but I am interested in boot foots because most of the wading I do is for steelhead. One of the rivers I fish gets down to 30 degrees. The problem is that I am 6'7", 250#, and wear size 14 boots. Simms and many other brands stop at size 13. My fallback is some neoprene boot foots from Cabelas, but I am interested in something breatheable (gortex or similar). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Big_E

Default Safety verses resources

I wonder how many drownings will be attributed to this over the years, probably impossible to measure but I'm sure it will happen. Not everyone can afford Simms spiked soles and I've tried fishing rivers with rubber soles, it's a great way to crack your head on a rock or at least end up in the drink flopping around. Combine current, rubber soles and slippery rocks and you might be swimming.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Simms Vibram

I bought the Simms guide boots last year before going moose hunting (swampy) having an idea felts were on their way out so I decided to take the chance then. Glad I did, love the new boots, comfy and haven't any issues of slipping on rocks. Yes, $200 is a lot for boots but I figure they'll last a long time and being comfortable is important.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/xdpy/sg/BOOTS
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel