Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ADN Article about Rossi

I was just about to post the same thing. This should get interesting!

Default Here is the Letter

March 20, 2010

Denby Lloyd, Commissioner
    Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    P.O. Box 25526
    Juneau, Alaska 99802-5526

Dear Commissioner Lloyd:

We the undersigned are all former biologists or supervisors for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game’s Division of Wildlife Conservation, and we have a life-long commitment to Alaska and its wildlife. Collectively, our service on behalf of the state of Alaska represents more than 760 years of department experience.

We are deeply concerned about the direction the Division is heading in managing Alaska’s wildlife resources. Those concerns have been heightened by the recent appointment of Mr. Corey Rossi as Director of the Division of Wildlife Conservation. Mr. Rossi appears to be a single issue advocate who lacks the education background necessary for an entry-level biologist position with the Division. A background with federal animal control does not qualify Mr. Rossi to lead an organization of professional wildlife biologists, research scientists, biometricians, and other wildlife professionals. An effective director must have sufficient background and scientific training to command the respect of these staff and to ensure that wildlife management is based on a foundation of sound science.

We are concerned that this high-profile leadership change is a signal that professional management will be replaced by a simplistic abundance management model where maximum production of wild game meat is the State of Alaska’s single, overriding objective (as articulated in Mr. Rossi’s Compass article in the Anchorage Daily News on Feb. 21st, 2009). Science, rather than politics, should be the guiding philosophy of professional leadership which should also include appropriate academic training and professional experience. Intensive management is only part of the responsibility of the Division of Wildlife Conservation, and an effective Director must also be able to lead the Division in other matters such as habitat protection, biodiversity conservation, endangered species management, and watchable wildlife.

This appointment marks a departure from the standard of science-based management for which the Department has always been recognized. We believe this appointment will erode staff morale, result in resignations, reduce broad public support for state wildlife management, and potentially jeopardize some wildlife resources that the division manages for all citizens of the state. We urge you to keep the science of wildlife management separate from the politics of wildlife management. The science should be reserved to a professional staff with appropriate technical training, and the latter reserved to a politically appointed Game Board.

In summary, we do not have confidence in the new leadership of the Division of Wildlife Conservation and urge you to reconsider this decision. We would appreciate a written response to our concerns.

Sincerely,

Warren Ballard,
    Research Biologist 17 years
    Pam Bruce,
    Wildlife Biologist & Refuge Manager 10 years
    Don Calkins,
    Marine Mammal Research Biologist 25 years
    John Coady,
    Research Biologist & Regional Supervisor 32 years
    Jim Faro,
    Area Biologist & Management Coordinator 33 years
    Kathy Frost,
    Marine Mammal Research Biologist 25 years
    John Hechtel,
    Management Biologist 23 years
    Grant Hilderbrand,
    Research Biologist & Regional Supervisor 10 years
    Jeff Hughes,
    Nongame Biologist & Regional Supervisor 20 years
    Loyal Johnson,
    Area Biologist 23 years
    Mark Kirchhoff,
    Wildlife Biologist 10 years
    Matt Kirchhoff,
    Research Biologist 23 years
    David Klein,
    Research Biologist 4years (5 years w/ Alaska Game Commission)S
    Jack Lentfer,
    Research Biologist & Regional Supervisor 13 years
    Lloyd Lowry,
    State Marine Mammals Coordinator 25 years
    Colleen Matt,
    Land and & Information Coordinator 16 years
    Herb Melchior,
    Management Biologist & Refuge Manager 20 years
    Sterling Miller,
    Research Biologist 21 years
    SuzAnne Miller,
    Biometrician 20 years
    Bob Nelson,
    Area Biologist 20 years
    Tom Paul,
    Federal Aid Coordinator 20 years
    Harry Reynolds,
    Research Biologist 33 years
    John Schoen,
    Research Biologist & Research Coordinator 20 years
    Karl Schneider,
    Research Coordinator 25+ years
    Chuck Schwartz,
    Research Biologist & Research Coordinator 21 years
    Dick Sellers,
    Area Biologist 25 years
    Roger Smith,
    Area Biologist 26 years
    Walt Smith,
    Research & Management Biologist 25 years
    Derek Stonorov,
    Refuge Technician 10 years
    Nancy Tankersley,
    Nongame Biologist 20 years
    Ward Testa,
    Research Biologist 8 years
    Dan Timm,
    Management Biologist, Management Coordinator, Regional Supervisor 20 years
    Jay Ver Hoef,
    Biometrician, 14 years
    Vic Van Ballenberghe,
    Research Biologist & State Furbearer Biologist 5 years
    Bob Weeden,
    Research Biologist 10 years
    Jack Whitman,
    Area Biologist, Nongame Biologist 26 years
    Ken Whitten,
    Research Biologist & Research Coordinator 24 years
    John Wright,
    Management & Research Biologist 24 years
    E. L. “Butch” Young,
    Area Biologist 13 years

Default WOW....

WOW!?
    I'm a little surprised that that many people signed on to the letter. At first, I was a little concerned cause I view this as a political appointee from the Barracuda, which it actually is.
    I don't know mr. Rossi, I know his son and his son is a stand up guy. Still does not make sense that we are paying a director good wages and benefits when he does not have the credentials of a starting Bio.
    It will be interesting to see what Denby and the Good Governor does. I can't wait!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default BS!

Let action Or should I say lack of from the department of commercial fish and human management (ADCF&HM) speak for itself. These “PAST” degree holding employees are the ones that have screw up Alaska! Here is one of their bright ideas. Let no have a sheep bio for 14c! Sheep are gone and last year they decide to hire one back.

USAF has the same ego problem with pilots and Air Traffic controllers. Hey, we pilots have degree we can be taking order from a non degree holding air traffic controller. What a bunch of BS!!!!!!!!!

Change is needed and I am glad to see him in the position! Time will tell and I think if he doesn’t get the boot we (all Alaskans) will be better off with Corey Rossi in office.

If my Child needs an operation, I'd prefer a Doctor who has the education, skills, knowledge, and cerebral cajones to perform the procedure.

If I want to have my dream-home built, I'd hire an architect to design it. One that was educated, knowledgeable and well respected by his/her peers.

If I need legal advice I am going to hire a lawyer who has the education, skills, knowledge, and patience to properly advise me.

If I want biological data I am going to ask a biologist who specializes in the particular field from which my question derives.

If I want guessing, agenda-driven policy, chronyism, favoritism, ignorance, inexperience, and stark raving lunacy.....I'll seek out a Palin appointee.....

...Shouldn't be hard to find one needing a job these days, they are (justifiably) dropping like collared wolves in the Yukon Charlie region....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

This appointment marks a departure from the standard of science-based management for which the Department has always been recognized. We believe this appointment will erode staff morale, result in resignations, reduce broad public support for state wildlife management, and potentially jeopardize some wildlife resources that the division manages for all citizens of the state. We urge you to keep the science of wildlife management separate from the politics of wildlife management. The science should be reserved to a professional staff with appropriate technical training, and the latter reserved to a politically appointed Game Board.

In government employee speak this paragraph changed my mind on this issue.
    I have seen this in government for years. The bios haven't worked for this guy but they are sure they will do a bad job if he's the boss. Quit crying and go to work every caribou and moose herd in this state is in decline or crisis. What could the guy possibly do to keep these bios from doing even less of thier job.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    What could the guy possibly do to keep these bios from doing even less of thier job.
    Fire them?

Demote them?

Replace them with folks who will walk in lock-step into the abyss with him?

Honestly jkb, we all know that if the "boss" wants it, he gets it.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    WOW!?
    I'm a little surprised that that many people signed on to the letter. At first, I was a little concerned cause I view this as a political appointee from the Barracuda, which it actually is.
    I don't know mr. Rossi, I know his son and his son is a stand up guy. Still does not make sense that we are paying a director good wages and benefits when he does not have the credentials of a starting Bio.
    It will be interesting to see what Denby and the Good Governor does. I can't wait!!!
    most of my bosses couldn't do my job on their best day. Doesn't mean they aren't the boss. Maybe I should write a letter. At least they signed it most times people won't sign these tear stained letters.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Fire them?

Demote them?

Replace them with folks who will walk in lock-step into the abyss with him?

Honestly jkb, we all know that if the "boss" wants it, he gets it.....
    You being a business man this makes sense but in government it's not always that way. It can happen but take years at the state of AK where everyone but the govenor is in a union of some kind.
    Unknown author

Thumbs down

Welp,
    At least the deadwood got smoked out of their hidey holes. Now we know who really needs to go. The ones that fear the change are the ones that have good reason to. They have been on the gravy train for too long, not doing their jobs. Now they will have to work and they don't like it, or they know they can't stand up under real scrutiny. Sad bunch of liberal whiners this lot.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Welp,
    At least the deadwood got smoked out of their hidey holes. Now we know who really needs to go. The ones that fear the change are the ones that have good reason to. They have been on the gravy train for too long, not doing their jobs. Now they will have to work and they don't like it, or they know they can't stand up under real scrutiny. Sad bunch of liberal whiners this lot.

BINGO!

Experience will overrule education here.

That last thing that will get anybody fired from the government is "not doing their job". The executive levels and appointees will be long gone and those not doing their job will still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    BINGO!

Experience will overrule education here.

Where can I get a pair of those ruby slippers?

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    every caribou and moose herd in this state is in decline or crisis.
    The central arctic herd is growing. The western arctic herd has been providing awesome opportunities. The 40 mile herd is growing. The Kenai Mts. herds have been stable.

As for moose, there are a number of areas where populations are also growing or, in some cases, overpopulated.

Every herd in decline or crisis? Not even close.

Anyone who thinks the "Director of Wildlife Conservation" actually makes any relevent decisions is smoking something they grew on the river bank (for personal use)
    This is an administration position and who ever holds it has to step to the higher ups music.
    All of you complainers want to actually DO something that matters...............start campaigning for whoever you think will make a better governor. That's what will get rid of Rossi. Don't waste your membership money on Org's. Donate to a campaign. Don't write letters to Denby Lloyd. Donate to a campaign. Change will come from the top down.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Go!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    If my Child needs an operation, I'd prefer a Doctor who has the education, skills, knowledge, and cerebral cajones to perform the procedure.

If I want to have my dream-home built, I'd hire an architect to design it. One that was educated, knowledgeable and well respected by his/her peers.

If I need legal advice I am going to hire a lawyer who has the education, skills, knowledge, and patience to properly advise me.

If I want biological data I am going to ask a biologist who specializes in the particular field from which my question derives.

If I want guessing, agenda-driven policy, chronyism, favoritism, ignorance, inexperience, and stark raving lunacy.....
    Ditto from the word, "Go!"
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Education

We don't need no education? Riggggght. You boys been smoking that dummy weed and listening to your old Pink Floyd a little too much. The dumbing down of America continues.

I'm making a list tho of those of you who support uneducated abundance management. And when Alaska suffers the biggest die off in modern history, I'm gonna give you all a great big Akres "I told you so!".
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

RMK

Default Some of you sound surprised

Sarah P. filled her cabinet by thumbing through her high school yearbook. Many of those folks are still in power positions. Education and experience no longer carry much water. Sean P. seems to be following along. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Thumbs up Where's the good ole' boys...

former Bios Dick Bishop & Peter Buist???Oh yeah...they're kowtowers of the SFW-AK line...

I can't wait to vote Sean Parnelly outta office...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast