Thread: George Lake?

Default George Lake?

Has anyone fished george lake near Delta? I know that there are pike in there, are there any other species. I've never caught a pike before, and would like to try to catch a few before the season is over. I would apreciate any tips for pike, thanks.

Default Go somewhere else

Fishing last weekend there was sooooo slow I fell asleep a couple of times, great weather though.

Interesting, the pike fishing here in the valley was DEAD the last couple of weeks too. Hmm.....
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

A couple days ago I caught the biggest pike of my year on Flat horn of all places. However it was the ONLY fish I caught....

Then fished Lynx and got skunked. So it goes. I'm hoping things pick up before ice out.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

George has been slow all winter. We went in on the opener with boats last year and the lake was covered in dead pike 150-200 atleast. Something is wrong I don't know if it was because of lack of oxygen or someone went in during preseason and caught a bunch when they were spawning. Talking to every one that has gone fishing there has had BAD LUCK if there lucky they can catch one a day.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    Then fished Lynx and got skunked. So it goes. I'm hoping things pick up before ice out.
    Not surprised. There are not many pike in that lake. I've fished it about half a dozen times and the biggest pike we caught out of there is like 23 or 25 inches. And no more than 4 in one day. That was icefishing.

Open water was ok. Covered alot more ground and still not many fish, there just isn't many pike in there for whatever reason. Overfishing? Netting? I don't know. i just don't know.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

What is the crossing on the Tanana like now? Any open water in the area to be concerned about?

Going to go give it a try even though the postings here don't sound all that good since I guy has to do what a guy has to do for some outdoor activity this time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by akair View Post
    George has been slow all winter. We went in on the opener with boats last year and the lake was covered in dead pike 150-200 atleast. Something is wrong I don't know if it was because of lack of oxygen or someone went in during preseason and caught a bunch when they were spawning. Talking to every one that has gone fishing there has had BAD LUCK if there lucky they can catch one a day.
    I was there at the opener last June also and remember all the "floaters" in the lake. Do you think that was from winter kill or from poor handling of the fish during "open season"? I saw my fair share of poor fish handling, but I really wasn't sure all of those dead fish was a result of it. On the bright side, I did catch my first pike on a fly-rod, that was pretty cool!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

It must have been one helluva winter up there to winter kill pike. I mean they don't need hardly any water at all to survive in, this is really interesting. I don't what George lake is like as far and depth and size, but wow. Interesting to say the least. I didn't think it would be possible to kill due to lack of oxygen, I mean most of the pike here in the valley live in 8" to a foot of water.

Question

Hell, they live 3 or 4 hours on top of the ice with NO water! Something else must be happening up there.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

George Lake is a large deep lake so not sure what the cause was but it had to be something natural as I have seen very few pike die from poor handling, they are one tough fish.