Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of trying a ground blind. Anyone do it?

Default Thinking of trying a ground blind. Anyone do it?

Ive always though it would be awesome to use a ground blind instead of a stand over the bait. The only concern is brownies, but im not too worried cause they would get a slug in the face if they decided to charge.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it, or is planning on trying it?

Please reconsider. If you DLP a brown bear sow with cubs, you'll be all over in the newspaper, and baiters will get a black eye.

Quote Originally Posted by samsoniam View Post
    Please reconsider. If you DLP a brown bear sow with cubs, you'll be all over in the newspaper, and baiters will get a black eye.
    Not a bad point. I'll take that into consideration. But what's the difference between walking in on a sow with cubs already at the bait and getting charged and having to take her down. That would give baiters a black eye too you'd think?

Like i said, im just dabbling with the idea. No major plans yet, just wondering if anyones tried it.

Default GBlind

I will be forced to do the same due to location as well....I know there are safety things to think about..great thread and sure there are many others that do use them here in AK....Some of the tracks I saw two years ago in my area were huge..so concerned about this abit..might put a bear fence around it... Best of luck!

Default Why would you want to be in a ground blind?

I think that would be a better question. It is harder to control your scent. It is more visible to the bears. It would put you in a bad situation with a brown bear. It would lessen your visibility. I suppose if you are afraid of heights it might help. Also, I suppose it might give you more mobility to do your burns and give you more comfort. I love my stand. I would never even consider a ground blind unless of course I had some type of natural elevation (Cliff, Large tree, Embankment etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I think that would be a better question. It is harder to control your scent. It is more visible to the bears. It would put you in a bad situation with a brown bear. It would lessen your visibility. I suppose if you are afraid of heights it might help. Also, I suppose it might give you more mobility to do your burns and give you more comfort. I love my stand. I would never even consider a ground blind unless of course I had some type of natural elevation (Cliff, Large tree, Embankment etc.)
    Those reasons are exactly why I would want to try it! It would be more difficult, theres alot more factors that go into it, and it would just be a challenge and more of a rush i would say. Sure its dangerous, but putting bait out in grizzly infested woods, then walking into the area is flat out dangerous too. I too enjoy hunting from my stand, and will continue to do so, but i think a blind would be more of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by dpops211 View Post
    Originally Posted by samsoniam
    Not a bad point. I'll take that into consideration. But what's the difference between walking in on a sow with cubs already at the bait and getting charged and having to take her down. That would give baiters a black eye too you'd think?
    I believe it could. There was a case of a man who had to shoot a brown bear boar as he approached his bait station on the Kenai Peninsula several years ago, and it did become a talking point among bear baiting opponents. However, I would think that a DLP from a ground blind might be discussed as if the hunter "should have known better". You can bet that it would be roundly discussed right here on this forum, and I suspect many of your fellow outdoorsmen would put the bad mouth on you. Imagine the Letters to the Editor in the Daily News.

Quote Originally Posted by samsoniam View Post
    However, I would think that a DLP from a ground blind might be discussed as if the hunter "should have known better".
    I dont doubt that at all. I appreciate your opinions here.

I think another concern is if you have family that your responsible for their welfare example main financial provider , father, husband, is the rush worth the exposure to a danger that could be minimized.

I considered doing this same thing and thought do I really want someone else raising my kids with their values if something happened to me. ( seeing a sow coming in puffing with 2 2 year old cubs changed my mind)

If something happened to you would your children hate hunting?

What if something did happen and all you got was injured to where you were disabled could you do the job you are currently doing? or enjoy life as you do now.

I know we can get injured everyday and on any hunting trip but at least we try to minimize the danger to what we consider acceptable.

So a question you have to ask is the danger an acceptable risk to you and your loved ones.

Good luck if you do it and I hope you don't get hurt. Personally I think the chances of getting hurt are small but they are definitely evident.

We started hunting from ground blinds a couple of years ago...and haven't even looked back once. I can't imagine hunting from a stand now after sitting on the ground for a couple of years and getting eye to eye with the bears.

It gives you a whole different perspective on baiting. The shots are usually nice, 20 yard, straight shots and we always have several little bears try and climb in the blind with us every year...too much fun.

We have some great up close footage for the seminars this year....should be an eye opener for folks who have not hunted from the ground.

If your using a ground blind and put it in a good location there shouldnt be to much issue, i would also build a very strong ground blind, something that could stop a grizzly long enoughh to use bear spray.

If you put yourself on the ground with the mentality that you dont care if a brown bear charges you cause youll just put a slug in its head, is not a good mentality, the mentality should consist of ways to prevent a DLP

Should be fun though.

Thanks for the info guys! And Barkbuster, your right, that is the wrong mentality, and i do carry spray along with a shotgun for protection.

My idea would be to mainly build the blind out of logs, spruce bows and such. I definitely wouldnt feel safe sitting in a comercially made flimsy little ground blind. I would place the blind against an uprooted tree, so nothing could get at me from behind. I could make little sight holes around the blind so i can have a 360 view of whats going on. I already know the area, and know that it would work. I just think it would add a whole new twist on baiting, and would just be so stinkin cool to be able to watch the bears on their level. As of now, im pretty much just day dreaming, and already have plans for a platform this year, but might consider it next year.

Anymore info?

I've hunted baits out of ground blinds before, and it was just fine. Of course those blinds were a good 75yds from the bait as well. I don't think I would like to hunt out of ablind that was only 15yds from the barrel though.

Quote Originally Posted by dpops211 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! And Barkbuster, your right, that is the wrong mentality, and i do carry spray along with a shotgun for protection.

My idea would be to mainly build the blind out of logs, spruce bows and such. I definitely wouldnt feel safe sitting in a comercially made flimsy little ground blind. I would place the blind against an uprooted tree, so nothing could get at me from behind. I could make little sight holes around the blind so i can have a 360 view of whats going on. I already know the area, and know that it would work. I just think it would add a whole new twist on baiting, and would just be so stinkin cool to be able to watch the bears on their level. As of now, im pretty much just day dreaming, and already have plans for a platform this year, but might consider it next year.

Anymore info?
    I'm telling ya...there is nothing like sitting in a double bull ground blind when a medium sized bear bites on it and tries to pull it over the top of you....too much fun. Or when a little guy props his feet up on it, sticks his head in and smells the camera lens.

If you watch bears enough you get a sense of which bears you let get close to the blinds and which ones you don't. We have only had to spray one bear the last two years, a little 5' cinnamon that was just too aggressive...and we are hunting baits with upwards of 30 bears on each bait.

Each to his own...but, we have sat out there in lawn chairs before behind some camo netting 20 yards away.

There truly is nothing like sitting on the ground watching bears at eye level. All bear hunters should give it a try once, you won't go back into the trees. We have been hunting on the ground for a couple years and have had many bears come up to the blind but never had one charge or attack the blind. I believe you are more vulnarable when you are out tracking the bear you shoot then you ever will be in a blind. You will be able to tell if a bear is getting overly interested or aggressive towards your blind and you can run them off. We do have bear spray and a firearm in the blind with us just in case. All I can say is give it a try, it will be a whole new experience while hunting over bait.

Default ground blinds

Last nite I watched Lee and Tiffany hunt from ground blinds somewhere near fairbanks,and exactly what AK45 says happened. Several came right up to the blind and looked in, it looked like fun but I still dont think I could do it. In my area I get too many brown bears on my bait for me to feel comfortable enough to do it. I have had a few become pretty aggressive when they came in and was very thankful I was in my tree instead of on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Last nite I watched Lee and Tiffany hunt from ground blinds somewhere near fairbanks,and exactly what AK45 says happened. Several came right up to the blind and looked in, it looked like fun but I still dont think I could do it. In my area I get too many brown bears on my bait for me to feel comfortable enough to do it. I have had a few become pretty aggressive when they came in and was very thankful I was in my tree instead of on the ground.

Yea...they were hunting with us ...and is WAS fun!

I noticed you had some cinnimon bears coming in I was surprised, I didnt think we had them here. How often do you see them? I have heard of them being taken but I thought it was really uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I noticed you had some cinnimon bears coming in I was surprised, I didnt think we had them here. How often do you see them? I have heard of them being taken but I thought it was really uncommon.
    We had around maybe 10 yast year, but didn't shoot any...they were just too small. There are plenty of colored phase bears around. The trick is to not shoot them when they are young and let them mature. The longer you hold off the trigger, the more you will see. But they are around. I've been fortunate enough to shoot two honkers over the years.

We have some great footage for the seminars of some cinnamon bears...one rifle shot that is, dang can't remember...7'4" squared I think, and one bow shot in '08 at 6'5".

Default color phase

Awesome!! I would love to see a cinnimon but being on the kenai I dont think odds are too good. In 12 yrs of baiting ive seen nothin but black phase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast