Thread: Flies for POW cohos?

Default Flies for POW cohos?

Greetings! My wife and I are planning a return trip to POW Island in September. Our first trip was 7 years ago on our honeymoon and we had an absolute blast chasing cohos. This trip I thought I'd try my hand at fly fishing for them. We will be fishing the Harris and Thorne Rivers as well as Staney Cr. Anyone out there have any suggestions for good coho fly patterns? How about leader specs?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mtlion View Post
    Greetings! My wife and I are planning a return trip to POW Island in September. Our first trip was 7 years ago on our honeymoon and we had an absolute blast chasing cohos. This trip I thought I'd try my hand at fly fishing for them. We will be fishing the Harris and Thorne Rivers as well as Staney Cr. Anyone out there have any suggestions for good coho fly patterns? How about leader specs?

Cheers!
    fly: (#1 fly for me) hareball leech in bubblegum and fuchsia, for example:

http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/...oducts_id=3327

leader: 5 feet of 12-15# maxima ultragreen.

flyline: 10' sinktip type III, SA wet tip or similar quality manufacturer

fish in deeper water, strip fast on swing to keep fly off bottom and away from nuisance pinks.

Bring some "blind" (no lead eye) leeches in case you encounter fish in shallow water, or need to strip very slowly, but that's not been common for me. It is needed sometimes.

I found russian river flys quite effective in PWS. The good thing about em is they're cheap and/or easy to tie. I stand on the cabin of my bowpicker in the shallows. Its hard to see the silvers but you can see their black fins and the black on the tip of their tail. I found green and white was the best in any weather and purple was lights out when it was clear, I'd just cast in the humpys and start stripping back slowly to avoid snagging one and watch my fly,( they like to lay under the swarm of pinks) when it would disappear i'd let 'er have it. one fly is good for about 10 or 12 then its too tattered. It helps to lower your antennas for obvious reasons, but its like tuna fishing, one right after the other, my record was 87 in a day on a 6wt lamiglass and a ross cimarron, I just used sinking tip cheap flyline and about 6' of brown maxima 10lb leader....
    I have this spot on ester island thats has a white gravel flat about the size of a hockey rink,its about 4-10 ft.
    its like bone fishing in Belize!

were there any silvers around ester island or west perry this year? was out there back in august 2008 and only saw 1 silver jump. esther passage.

Release Lake Trout

Dude it was dismal! I cruised to Ester a couple times (from Cordova) to check it out for gillnetting but it was just a waste of gas. I cruised around the whole island and checked all my favorite honey holes and only caught a sparse few on the pole. I always ended up running back to the flats....Once I cruised all the way from Controller Bay ( its down east of the Copper toward Cape Suckling in Bering River country) to the south end of ester pass, over to Island Bay then all the way up to the north end of ester pass back down thru the pass and back to controller bay LOL. we're talkin a 350 mi turn around here w/ 2 496's
    fortunately I ran into a tender off Gravina and got some gas. Anyway it was a bone head maneuver. Theres been other times when I've loaded up by running back and forth we call it switch hitting..most of the guys are too lazy to do anything that isn't a sure bet. Last year wasn't good for enhanced cohos, this year is forecasted to be even worse

ESLs, Flash Flies, Clousers, And Sparkle Shrimp, add some bunny flies and some marabou spiders and you'll have you're bases covered, oh and bring a wog or two
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I fished the Thorne for silvers in 2008. Everyone said pink and orange, but chartreuse was the hot color of the trip. Water was high - lots of rain even for POW standards - don't know if that had anything to do with it. Regardless, bring a variety of patterns/colors and don't be afraid to experiment.

Water is a stained tannin color (like too-thin coffee) in most streams on POW. FYI.

I run 14# to 17# for "tippet." I like the Gamma Professional line.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I havent tried to much for silvers but as of recent ive been throwing Dolly LLama's for rainbows and char, and needless to say the silvers love them. ill even let them sink to the bottom and let them drift and still get slammed by them, also a couple times the fly was just dangling in about 6 inches of water and a silver came up and grabbed it. colors used are olive/white, white/white, chart/white, chart/hot pink.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

I've had better luck with small, bright flies with slower retrieves on POW. Bring a light rod as well. The humpies aren't much to eat but will give you an honest day's fighting on a 3 or 4 wt.

If you are tying yourself, give the shank a couple twists of lead line. They don't cast as nice but they sure catch fish!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Thanks for all of the input! Looking at line options...I was thinking of the versitip but am unsure....

Has anyone ever tried a frammus on coho? I use them a lot for steelhead in Idaha and was wondering if they might also work on the cohos as my box is loaded with them.

mtlion, there's one surefire way to find out.

POW is pretty easy fishing. If there are fish holding, cast to them a few times and vary your retrieve. If you don't get any followers, switch. Once you find what they will attack, keep a few extras handy and have fun.

My Favorite for POW Silvers.
    (shamelessly hijacked from the internet)

BTW- you went fishing on your Honeymoon?? I love your wife too. Don't limit yourself to Staney/Harris and Thorne. You will be a little late, but the Islands worst kept secret for Silvers IS..... none of those waters.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlion View Post
    Thanks for all of the input! Looking at line options...I was thinking of the versitip but am unsure....
    if you are "unsure" (i.e., don't like hinging, or binding of extra connections in guides - which) then don't buy it. Just get a type III and if you think you need it (and you might), an extra spool with type V or VI. Or bring some weight. That should cover it.

I always fish POW with a floating line. There just aren't that many spots that warrant a sinking line (for me).

Thanks for the input on the line guys. Down south here I use my 8 wt for steelheading, typically employing the "chuck and duck" method. I use a 0.031 level floating running line attached straight to my leader, varying my leader length with depth. Any input on how this line will perform for those silvers? Will it work for the conditions? I had no problems catching them on spin gear...hopefully it will be the same flyfishing!!

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    My Favorite for POW Silvers.
    (shamelessly hijacked from the internet)

BTW- you went fishing on your Honeymoon?? I love your wife too. Don't limit yourself to Staney/Harris and Thorne. You will be a little late, but the Islands worst kept secret for Silvers IS..... none of those waters.

You would "shamelessly" jack those beautiful flies from the internet...
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    You would "shamelessly" jack those beautiful flies from the internet...
    Go back to your cocoa and scones...