Thread: First Rod Done-ish

Default First Rod Done-ish

I got the rod wrapper and my first rod pretty much done this weekend.

The shelf along the bottom was incredibly helpful with keeping my wraps clean.

I'm building the rod for my wife so I had to make it "Pretty". I think the steelhead decal and purple thread accomplished that.

Reaming out the handle to fit the blank took longer than any other step in the process.

Now where are those fish?

I just found this thread and I'm glad I did. Awesome job!
    I have zero artistic talent, for that matter I lack the fine motor skills or patience it takes for such an endeavor. Could you make me a 9' ft steelhead spinning rod w/ G-3 blanks
    I'm gonna bug you till you either do it or put me on your iggy list
    Just kidding I really wish I had the know how to accomplish that

First of all Akboater that rod is sweet!!! I just made my first rod last year myself. I can totally relate to the taking time to reem the cork. I blew the tip on mine which lead me to some creativity. I wrapped it. Turned out a pretty neat rod!
    100_0983.jpg

Fullbush,
    In the words of Nike. Just do it. Good bad or indifferent you will be glad you did. I have two left thumbs when it comes to these types of things. Am I glad I did it. It was a great learning experience and great satisfaction with the end results. I took a big bite with a 12ft switch rod. I would say try something a little smaller first. Use simple colors on the threads so that you can use a one part epoxy as apposed to two part. Once you make your first rod. You will make more. You can find lots of inexpensive blanks on ebay. Keep your components inexpensive for your first build. Need any info please feel free to PM me. I put a bunch of stuff together when I did my build.

Ok go build a rod.
    OP1

thanks guys!!

fullbush, I've got a couple rods ahead of you but this winter when I get those out of the way I'll get in touch. Seriously if you still want it later we can talk components.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Nice job!

Easy enough huh?

Let me know when you go for another. I can show you how to turn your own grips, or do some feather inlays etc. I've got lots of rodbuilding tools and stuff you could borrow too.

edit: wow, didn't realize you posted this in March!
    Nice Marmot.