Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone else used my stand?

Default someone else used my stand?

I have a question for all and asking for some advise. I built a bear stand and have used it for the last 4 years. Last year I couldn't hunt it due to a deployment. I went out this weekend to check on it and it looks like someone used it last year. What do you all think I should do if that person tries to use it again? I know, public land, I don't own it but I did build it and have maintained it for 4 years. I'm not looking for people to say "well, you don't own it because it's public land" or that type of thing. I'm just looking for advise in case of a confrontation. Thanks.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Be there 1st

Just register it the 1st day possible and go out and put yourg registration at the bait. Maybe even put a note explaining what you just told us. I think most resonable people would understand. I actually read this because I found an old stand, in need of repair, that I started using. I located the area first and then happened to see the old stand. If anyone ever put a note up explaing such a thing with a phone # I would gladly call them, talk about it, and give up the spot.

Now days it is only your stand if it shows the proper paper work during the baiting season. After that it belongs to everyone or is littering,F&G would probably say the later

i would say go post a note protected in plastic now, with your history of the stand, and contact info for you. might be able to square things up with whoever used it last year prior to the season opening.

Also might be able to check with adf&g to see if someone registered the site last year and if so, who.

Generally allowed uses on State land. (Modified rules if you are in a special mgmt area)
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/gen_allow_use.pdf

" Setting up and using a camp for personal, noncommercial recreational purposes, or for any non-recreational purpose (such as a support camp during mineral exploration), for no more than 14 days at one site, using a tent platform or other temporary structure that can readily be dismantled and removed, or a floathouse that can readily be moved. Moving the entire camp at least two miles starts a new 14-day period. Cabins or other permanent improvements are not allowed, even if they are on skids or another non-permanent foundation. The camp must be removed immediately if the department determines that it interferes with public access or other public uses or interests.

Notice it doesn't say that you have to remove the stand unless it is determined as interfering with other public uses or interests. If no one complains you are good to go and it is not litter as long as it can be readily dismantled and removed... you just have to be able to remove it, doesn't say that you have to actually remove

Bear stands and camps are 2 different situations. Was your stand registered in the past? Have you got the paperwork from those previous registrations?
    See if you can find out who registered it last year.
    Was it a good location? Need help? Haha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Bear stands and camps are 2 different situations. Was your stand registered in the past? Have you got the paperwork from those previous registrations?
    See if you can find out who registered it last year.
    Was it a good location? Need help? Haha!
    It isn't a camp, only a stand. I had registered it every year for 4 years minus last year because of my absence but I didn't keep the paperwork, not sure how long F&G maintains those records. It is a great location, some of the pics of bears at my site are on my profile. Here's a google map for you of the location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=58.654..."></iframe><br
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

That's a tough call. People build and then abandon stands all the time, especially with the military population around the Fairbanks area. Some of them get passed from guy to guy to guy and then one of the original guys comes back and says it's his stand.

I can just imagine a guy getting on here last year and posting that the season had already started and he came across an abandoned and unregistered home-built stand on public land. He probably asked for some advice, just as you are now, and was likely told to do the same thing...put a note on it and if no one responds then start using it because it's abandoned. That sounds pretty reasonable, but then is the stand his now? Tough moral choices.

I suggest registering it and leave your phone number. Hopefully you can work something out, but you should consider that the other person likely feels it's just as much theirs as it is yours.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Tough Situation

If it's not used for a year, then it is free game. It really blows but I gave up an area because of the same situation. I was hunting an area, missed a season thanks to Uncle Sam and someone else was using it when I returned. I just sucked it up and moved to another area.

If I found an area unused and put in time cleaning it up, I would consider it mine. Especially if I had no contact during the entire season I was using it.

what law or regulation can i find that states after a year it is free game?

Question

What law says it is yours?? If it was not hunted for a year how would it not be considered abandoned? Like I said, I was in the same situation and didn't think I had a leg to stand on

This is just what I would do.

I would use this as an opportunity to get out and explore new areas. If I decided to stay and try to be first, worry about someone walking in on me, messing with my stand ect... It would be bad for my blood pressure...What if you had your family in the stand and someone got confrontational. Is it really worth it.

I hunt to get away from all the day to day drama not to seek it out in the woods.

Get out and find another great spot... You found one, use your skills to find another and take time to enjoy the entire process.

Good Luck and Be Safe

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

I would use this as an opportunity to get out and explore new areas. If I decided to stay and try to be first, worry about someone walking in on me, messing with my stand ect... It would be bad for my blood pressure...What if you had your family in the stand and someone got confrontational. Is it really worth it.

I hunt to get away from all the day to day drama not to seek it out in the woods.

Get out and find another great spot... You found one, use your skills to find another and take time to enjoy the entire process.

Good Luck and Be Safe

Steve
    Thanks, that is the kind of advice I was looking for, not an arguement on whether it BELONGS to me or not as I said in my original post. The reason I really wanted to hunt this stand again is because there was a particular bear I was after that has been coming in the past few years and I haven't been able to close he deal on him. That's not to say someone else hasn't either at that location or another one.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Good Luck and Be Safe

Steve

I agree with steve seems like a good time to find another great spot just isnt worth getting in a pissing contest with someone.

Default Tree stands.

I just took the bear baiting clinic online and the state is pretty clear about wanting tree stands removed at the end of the season.
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ing.treestands

This has me wondering about where I want to put a bait site. Will fish and game let me know if there is another bait station close to my spot, or do I have to just kick around a little bit and see if someone else is close by. I think I might ask them a few questions.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

just BURN it

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    I just took the bear baiting clinic online and the state is pretty clear about wanting tree stands removed at the end of the season.
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ing.treestands

This has me wondering about where I want to put a bait site. Will fish and game let me know if there is another bait station close to my spot, or do I have to just kick around a little bit and see if someone else is close by. I think I might ask them a few questions.
    Last time a regestered a bait staition they showed a map with every ones located with a red mark and we chose a spot away from every one else.Found it was to much work to maybe see a black bear,with to much grizz run ins,gave up baiting for chance at spot and stalk.found to be much more challenging to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhemi View Post
    just BURN it
    While it is or is not occupied?

just burn it, (un occupied) then rebuild it, then it will be his again!!!

There will be no burning of treestands...Come April 1st, I'm going to register that stand! Already stealing my husbands GPS HEHE..I've seen the the trailcam pics of the bears that are in that area and I WANT one this year.

Default Pics?

Did someone say pics? You know you can't say that around here with out posting them. LOL
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast