Thread: Places to land??

Default Places to land??

I was wondering if anyone could help with some information, how does one know where are the air strips are out in the bush? Is there a book/software I could buy that would tell me where I can land? I have a friend that has a plane and he has always wanted to go hunting, but he has never had anyone to go with. I asked him where he wanted to hunt and he told me he just does not know many placed to land. I know he flies around anchorage on the weekends, but that is about it I think.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Tony

The Knik glacier and its drainage and the beaches of Cook Inlet are a great way to gain experience in off airport/bush flying. Unlimited open areas with solid surface and no obstructions to approach or departure. A good way to get started.

Jim

It would help if we knew what animals you wanted to hunt, I only know of landing strips for sheep and bears.

Default Safety

Something tells me, the little voice in the back of my head that says, if you have to ask for a strip near a good hunting location, your buddy aint ready for the trip. I have about 400 locations in my gps to land off field in my gps. And probably wont use most of them, cause I'm going to try and land closer to the game. Alot depends on what type of plane your buddy flys and its off field capabilities. Your buddy needs to know what his and his planes abilities are, along with fuel and equipment, fuel and overall logistics of a remote hunt. As Tcraft says we have have the best off field training ground back in knik that anyone could ask for, your buddy needs alot of experience, then alot more. Very experienced pilots wreck planes all the time, due to changing factors, weather, equipment issues and or bad judgement. To go hunting I research a area for a specific species, then go out and spend alot of gas money locating landing areas in the area. In my citabria, i need 250 feet to get out lightly loaded with a calm wind but perfer more. See my point.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Tcraft View Post
    The Knik glacier and its drainage and the beaches of Cook Inlet are a great way to gain experience in off airport/bush flying. Unlimited open areas with solid surface and no obstructions to approach or departure. A good way to get started.
    Inexperienced student pilot question, if I may:
    How do you judge which Cook Inlet beaches are NOT soft tidal silt waiting to snag your gear, or sink into once you stop? Is it easy to tell from the air?

GREAT thread. And having 400 alternate landing sites in one's GPS can NEVER be a bad thing. I Love that Knik area. (heaven on earth, in fact).

Thumbs up Practice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    Inexperienced student pilot question, if I may:
    How do you judge which Cook Inlet beaches are NOT soft tidal silt waiting to snag your gear, or sink into once you stop? Is it easy to tell from the air?

GREAT thread. And having 400 alternate landing sites in one's GPS can NEVER be a bad thing. I Love that Knik area. (heaven on earth, in fact).

Find some one with a plane similar to yours and who has a good amount of experience and you can trust. Follow them to places that they deam proper for you (when they are willing) and land AFTER they do. Work your way up to the off field stuff. It will take time and lots of it to figure things out and get the experience you need. As pointed out earlier here, "stuff" happens and things can go bad in a hurry, so don't you be (in a hurry).

Also, the best thing you can buy for your plane is,..... gas, and lots of it. Get to know the plane INTIMATELY. Learn every type of landing and take off the plane is capable of ON PAVEMWNT FIRST. You need to be able to put it down within feet (not yards) of where you want it at the airport (both distance and laterally) before you are ready to go off field. Oh yea, and then there is cross winds too.

Good luck!

I treat off airport landings like I was taught ski flying. You fly over low and slow and look the area over, time it to guesstimate length, make sure you will clear obstacles on shortfield takeoff (make as many passes as you need), then make a pass or two rolling the wheels/skis on the ground, then depending on how it felt and how your tracks look decide wether to land or not

Try to get a float rating. It opens up lots of places.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Talking Be carefull!!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Try to get a float rating. It opens up lots of places.

The reason??? Flying floats is addictive, you'll love it too much!!

Like sex, only cleaner....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Assuming then

That their is not a book/website with all the landing strips in Alaska where one can land a plane. I hate to ask the question, as it seems like it is too easy of an idea. I just don't know. I have never even been in a small plane before, but one can imagine my excitement when I was told "I have a plane and want to go hunting, just don't know where to land and never had anyone to hunt with." The idea would then be to fly around the repective game unit, looking for places where he can land his plane?

Default First Step

I still a novice, but I think the first step is for the pilot to get some training on off-airport landing (assuming his airplane is equipped properly). The second step is for him to practice landing in a lot of different off-airport locations with the same weight as he would have going on a hunt and coming back from a successful hunt. The third step is to find the restrictions and private areas in the GMU you want to hunt. The fourth step is to scout the areas you are interested in with a lightly loaded plane and make some landings. If all is good, make sure there is room to get out fully loaded. Then mark the spot for future reference.
    Some pilots think they can land anywhere without experience or training. I guess they can, but the resulting damage to the plane and injuries/deaths are not worth it. It is no coincidence that the highest rate of airplane wrecks in Alaska are during hunting season.

If I was your buddy, I would go and hire an Instructor for some OFF-Airport flight instruction in my own aircraft. If I were YOU I might even offer to split the cost of the instruction with him. Money well spent.

. . . . . and, if I were you, I think I'd put it off untiil next year . . . . . That will give you time to think this whole operation over, and for your friend to gain both advice and experience.

Landing spots for good hunting areas are not shown on maps and charts. If your friend simply MUST try that, fly to Talkeetna, turn west, and fly to the Peters Hills. Careful observation will reveal several "STRIPS" and suitable ridges there, but they're not for the faint of heart . . . . .

Get a hold of Artic Wickle at Artic's Air Acedemy in Palmer. They have a couple of Cubs Types A/C and are more than willing to teach off-airport operations. You can hangar fly all day but get out and try it, it's fun and this is a safe way to do it. There's a lot of instructors, he's just one that come to mind and is very easy to get a long with.