Thread: Alaska Backpacker ammo

Default Alaska Backpacker ammo

Winchester is selling 200 grain 357 mag ammo called “Alaska Backpacker”. has anybody shot a bear with this stuff? For that matter has anybody shot a griz with any 357 ammo. I know the whole “nothing smaller than a 44mag routine” but I recently had an instructor tell me that he always uses 357. I don’t have a 44 and I’m tired a lugging that 12gage everywhere I go. I’m talking defense only, I don’t hunt bear with a handgun.

Sounds like an interesting load, but I can't find any info about it on Winchester's web site or anywhere else on the web. Do you have any online infor about this?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Default Alaska Back Packer Ammo...

Jbrian,

I'm pretty sure that Winchester (Olin) does not make that ammo. They may use Wnchester brass. There was some discussion about it on this forum a couple of weeks ago and I think it was determined that it was made around the Anchorage area by an individual. The ammo in my experience is very good. I have shot it in 44,45 Colt and 454 and it is in the same league as any of the specialty ammo makers such as Buffalo Bore, CorBon, etc, that use hard cast bullets. This is generally referred to as bear ammo, in this case for handguns, and thus the name 'back packer'.

Generally a 357 isn't considered bear medicine but even though a 44 mag is, it isn't. If a real bear was upon you and if you could put a 200 grain hard cast, .357 bullet through the brain, it will work just as well as a 44 mag would work.

I have some 180 grain WFNGC Cast performance bullets that i load my 357 with and carry in my vehicle sometimes. I think that (or the 200 grain) is about as close as a 357 gets to a being a bear gun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sorry about the repeat question. I read through the old topics before I posted the question and did not see this subject. Then I posted the question, looked over the old stuff again and almost immediately found the post from before. What can I say, I’ve been shooting a little longer than I’ve been hanging out on the internet, still getting used to it. It must be that the ammo maker is using Winchester brass because it is clearly marked, which left questioning whether we were talking about the same stuff. I guess so. The bullet is in fact a fat chunk of hard cast lead that looks very promising. The instructor I refer to in my question is as experienced an Alaskan as you will every find and he assures me he has taken bear with a 357 half jacketed soft nose. His point being that penetration is what is important not necessarily the diameter of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrian View Post
    The bullet is in fact a fat chunk of hard cast lead that looks very promising. The instructor I refer to in my question is as experienced an Alaskan as you will every find and he assures me he has taken bear with a 357 half jacketed soft nose. His point being that penetration is what is important not necessarily the diameter of the hole.
    Jbrian,

No apology necessary. I hope you got your answer. I think the Alaska backpacker is good ammo.

I think I know your instructor, you must be in the Fairbanks area. Tell Joe I said hi and tune in to his "Shooters Corner" radio show on Thursday mornings, 660 AM.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Yep, you guess it. Fairbanks is home and Joe is the one who has me thinking about leaving my 12gage at home. To be fully truthful he does teach his bear defense class with a short 12 gage but is adamant about this 357 thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Jbrian,

No apology necessary. I hope you got your answer. I think the Alaska backpacker is good ammo.

I think I know your instructor, you must be in the Fairbanks area. Tell Joe I said hi and tune in to his "Shooters Corner" radio show on Thursday mornings, 660 AM.
    I looked up Joe Nava and found this link.
    http://www.odcmp.org/1201/bear_inc.asp
    He said this about his bear safety course that he has taught for 40 years. "...But I have never had a former student tell me they were killed and eaten by a bear. So what I teach must be right."
    Joe must be quite the humorist as well as outdoorsman.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Thumbs up 357 Mag

I have carried a 357 Mag Colt Python 6" using handloaded 180gr Sierra FPJ for many years.
    Alaska